Prayer Questions

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
kayda-kat
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Prayer Questions

Post by kayda-kat »

Recently, I was browsing the internet looking to challenge my faith. I came across the sit: 50 reasons why God doesn't exist. I considered the first few, decided them void, but then hit upon a point that has been chewing away at my mind ever since. First off: I am a christian. Second: Even if, somehow, I lost my faith, I would still live by christian morals Third: I know there is an answer to this question:
Ok, so God says seek and you shall find; knock and the door shall be opened unto you, etc, etc. Yet, If you were to pray for something negative, or for something like the outcome of multiple coin tosses, your prayer needs would not be met. The site then goes to state that if the bible says all your prayers will be answered, and then the outcome of the coin toss is not what you expected, why is that?
This is also why I visited this site, but in the numerous answers to some very good questions, I found this one excluded (or maybe missed) An athiest, after visiting that site, then this one would most likely not be very encouraged by this.
Thank you so much for helping me with this!
Katy
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Re: Prayer Questions

Post by neo-x »

Implication by elimination is a logical fallacy. The case of prayer is not a general case, remember the ground rule, every prayer has its own agenda and therefore is met with a different albeit just response.

The reason we are told to pary is in the context that we should not ever loose heart, if the answer to our prayers are delayed.
so God says seek and you shall find; knock and the door shall be opened unto you
Is not only an encouragement but also a lesson that we should keep seeking, keep knocking. The point is not that we will have all that we want, the point is that we should not loose heart, we do not doubt, we do not loose faith, we remain patient. Jesus was a praying person. Like records 9 prayers of Jesus (I'm going by memory here). In the garden before his arrest he prayed and said "Let not my but your will be done." Prayer is not a wish list granting method. It is communication with God to know what he wants and what you want.

God does not encouraged us to pray for material things He said, seek the kingdom of God first and all of the rest shall come. now however one may interpret this verse. Modern Christianity has done it the worst, with the false teaching that by prayer we can have everything. This has caused a lot of people to stumble in the faith. Prayer is a privilege not a right.

Have you ever noticed. Christians are probably the only (I think so) people on earth who can worship a God while sitting on a chair. Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh etc etc, all have to bow down, on the ground and do it. so you can realize how in grace, we are permitted to worship God while being comfortable and easy. sadly this position of lax has made a lot of people very lazy in their spiritual lives. But do not be mistaken.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Implication by elimination is a logical fallacy. The case of prayer is not a general case, remember the ground rule, every prayer has its own agenda and therefore is met with a different albeit just response.

The reason we are told to pary is in the context that we should not ever loose heart, if the answer to our prayers are delayed.
so God says seek and you shall find; knock and the door shall be opened unto you
Is not only an encouragement but also a lesson that we should keep seeking, keep knocking. The point is not that we will have all that we want, the point is that we should not loose heart, we do not doubt, we do not loose faith, we remain patient. Jesus was a praying person. Like records 9 prayers of Jesus (I'm going by memory here). In the garden before his arrest he prayed and said "Let not my but your will be done." Prayer is not a wish list granting method. It is communication with God to know what he wants and what you want.

God does not encouraged us to pray for material things He said, seek the kingdom of God first and all of the rest shall come. now however one may interpret this verse. Modern Christianity has done it the worst, with the false teaching that by prayer we can have everything. This has caused a lot of people to stumble in the faith. Prayer is a privilege not a right.

Have you ever noticed. Christians are probably the only (I think so) people on earth who can worship a God while sitting on a chair. Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh etc etc, all have to bow down, on the ground and do it. so you can realize how in grace, we are permitted to worship God while being comfortable and easy. sadly this position of lax has made a lot of people very lazy in their spiritual lives. But do not be mistaken.

On a second note, why would you go and challenge your faith, do you realize how dangerous such a practice (just for kicks) it could be?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

sorry double post y#-o

without.

Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Every prayer is answered - sometimes the answer is NO or "don't be silly I am not here to just perform circus tricks for you!"

:ebiggrin:

SIlvertusk.
kayda-kat
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by kayda-kat »

Ok, thanks guys. I guess I was interpreting it wrong. Seriosly, I feel so much better now. Thank you for helping on these boards, and Godbless :)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

no problem, also this may help

Matthew 7:7 says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

while Luke 11:9 says ""And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you."

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary says this on the reference from Luke 11:5-13,

11:5-13 Christ encourages fervency and constancy in prayer. We must come for what we need, as a man does to his neighbour or friend, who is kind to him. We must come for bread; for that which is needful. If God does not answer our prayers speedily, yet he will in due time, if we continue to pray. Observe what to pray for; we must ask for the Holy Spirit, not only as necessary in order to our praying well, but as all spiritual blessings are included in that one. For by the influences of the Holy Spirit we are brought to know God and ourselves, to repent, believe in, and love Christ, and so are made comfortable in this world, and meet for happiness in the next. All these blessings our heavenly Father is more ready to bestow on every one that asks for them, than an indulgent parent is to give food to a hungry child. And this is the advantage of the prayer of faith, that it quiets and establishes the heart in God.

without.