Opinions on religious experience and hallucination

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Short1
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Opinions on religious experience and hallucination

Post by Short1 »

Hi I was wondering what sort of information or studies you have come across about whether or not experiences of feeling close to God or having a spiritual experience are mere hallucinations. Any good sources/ideas?

I thought I would start here because I have trouble wading through so much atheist material out there. Bleh.
kmr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Opinions on religious experience and hallucination

Post by kmr »

A lot of it probably is real. A lot of it is probably faked or hallucinated. I know we have at least a couple members on here who have had such experiences, or who have hallucinated them unwittingly. But I know from personal experience that you don't need to be dreaming or taking drugs to feel a true closeness to God, He comes in whenever it is a good time. I have had experiences where I suddenly can feel God, and just know that he is there... humbling experiences. But they weren't hallucinations, certain of that, because one time I was in the middle of a room filled with people and carrying out a conversation! It wasn't a vision, it was a presence. So yes, I believe in a true encounter with God. I've never had one in which I saw anything supernatural, but I can feel it. :esmile:
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!