Strike.

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Strike.

Post by Silvertusk »

Should Christians Strike?

I am a teacher and we are suppose to strike on the 30th June. Now I have serious reservations about striking. I understand the issue we are striking over but I am paid to do a Job and taking an authorised day off is a breech of contract. And aren't we suppose to respect those in authority?

Could I get your opinion on this with possible scripture to backup. I would be very grateful.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Strike.

Post by DannyM »

Silvertusk,

I like your attitude - I think. What is it you understand about the issue?

Dan
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Basically the issue is about our pensions - We have to pay more,work longer and receive less - so it is an important thing and it is not really fair which is why two of our big unions are calling us to strike. However isn't it in scripture that we have to respect authority as it was put there by God and therefore we need to give them no ammunition with which to use against us. Plus we made a vow when we signed our contracts and taking an unauthorised day off is a breech of contract and therefore breaking our promise.

Silvertusk.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Honestly I do not think, it is such an issue that you should be worried. When something unjust happens, if you can, you should protest. If people kept to this mentality in all circumstances, the catholic church would still be in power and the medieval times still present. :ewink: Go ahead, i'd say.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Silvertusk wrote:Basically the issue is about our pensions - We have to pay more,work longer and receive less - so it is an important thing and it is not really fair which is why two of our big unions are calling us to strike. However isn't it in scripture that we have to respect authority as it was put there by God and therefore we need to give them no ammunition with which to use against us. Plus we made a vow when we signed our contracts and taking an unauthorised day off is a breech of contract and therefore breaking our promise.
It's not nice I'll grant you, but then it's not nice for those in the private sector who had their pension's attacked with higher levels of tax when Gordon Brown was chancellor. Those of us who face wage cuts and threats to our very livlihood with possible job cuts don't strike; we just either get on with it or find ourselves another job. I'd argue that you and the rest of the public sector have more responsibility to actually not strike.

I'm not having a go at you, Silver, and I admire your Christian stance insofar as you have gone, but I seethe at this public sector attitude of striking because times are tough...tough for all of us.

God Bless
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

That is kind of where I am coming from. I am lucky to have a job and it is not badly paid. Also Jesus never resisted authorities which is why they could not pin anything on him at trail. Also found these verses in scripture

Romans 13:1

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

I guess that pretty much sums it up for me. At least I can not strike with a clear conscience.

Silvertusk.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Silvertusk wrote:That is kind of where I am coming from. I am lucky to have a job and it is not badly paid. Also Jesus never resisted authorities which is why they could not pin anything on him at trail. Also found these verses in scripture

Romans 13:1

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

I guess that pretty much sums it up for me. At least I can not strike with a clear conscience.
I hope you don't strike; I hope you resolutely stay in school. And I hope, if you get a chance, you tell the self-serving union bosses how out of touch and relic-like their attitudes are; and I also hope you tell this to any colleague of yours who think it okay to neglect their public duties that they should be thankful for the security of the cosy sector they are lucky enough to be in. If all the teachers at your school had your attitude, Silver, the children would not have their schooling neglected.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

DannyM wrote:I hope you don't strike; I hope you resolutely stay in school. And I hope, if you get a chance, you tell the self-serving union bosses how out of touch and relic-like their attitudes are; and I also hope you tell this to any colleague of yours who think it okay to neglect their public duties that they should be thankful for the security of the cosy sector they are lucky enough to be in. If all the teachers at your school had your attitude, Silver, the children would not have their schooling neglected.
Lol. I look a little 'angry' here. I aint I promise. I'm a passionate Conservative and political animal. That's it. :esmile:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

What are you striking about?

Honestly the way I would decide weither or not to strike is if the cause is good or not.

And ps., you might not want to cross a union picket line if you decide to go to work.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte