Polonium Radiohalos

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
KravMagaSelfDefense
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Polonium Radiohalos

Post by KravMagaSelfDefense »

Here's a video I found very, very interesting and I think you all will too. Essentially it's about certain types of radiation pockets which prove that the granites within which they are found were created instantly! Intriguing since evolutionary theory and the theory of uniformitarianism demands long periods of time over which to form such rocks. Here's the link, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRGp-VcBJI
Maybe the atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman. ~Author Unknown
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~ C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning. - C.S. Lewis.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Polonium Radiohalos

Post by 1over137 »

How conclusive are the Gentry's studies?

There were some questions and objections raised:

1.Polonium is being created all the time as it is a decay product of the radioactive gas radon (itself a decay product of uranium). Radon is produced in large amounts in areas of granitic rock, sometimes enough to be a serious health hazard. As radon is chemically inert, it can easily move through microscopic cracks in minerals and, at some point, it will decay into polonium. Thus there is is no issue with pleochroic haloes being found throughout a body of granitic rock.

2. Is he able to demonstrate that concentric haloes are caused uniquely by alpha particles resulting from the decay of polonium isotopes?

3. His samples are not from "primordial" pieces of the Earth's original crust, but from rocks which have been extensively reworked.

Were they answered?

A possible explanation of Po halos:
Solid diorite and gabbro rock, which had previously crystallized from magma, has been subjected to repeated cataclasis and recrystallization. This has happened without melting; and the cataclasis provided openings for the introduction of uranium-bearing fluids and for the modification of these rocks to granite by silication and cation
deletion.
In uranium ore-fields the extra uranium provides an abundant source of inert radon gas; and it is this gas that diffuses in ambient fluids so that incipient biotite and fluorite crystallization is exposed to it. Radon (222Rn) decays and Po isotopes nucleate in the rapidly growing biotite (and fluorite) crystals whence they are positioned to produce the Po halos.

All articles I found in my search are (or quote articles or books) from 2005 or older.
What is the current status?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart