Mary's children

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

Mary's children

Post by Poetic_Soul »

How many children do you think Mary had?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Mary's children

Post by bizzt »

Poetic_Soul wrote:How many children do you think Mary had?
Unsure
3?
Veronica
Recognized Member

Post by Veronica »

one - Jesus :)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Veronica wrote:one - Jesus :)
That is all we have to worry about yes :wink: However I believe she had more Children with Joseph
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Yeah I was pretty sure she did have other children...right? I remember a verse that refers to a James as his brother?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

well, then. did she remain a virgin?
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

most likely, no.
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Nooooo...virginity like balloon, one prick, all gone.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Just for clarity:

Matthew 13:54-56
Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?" they asked. "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?"

And Mark's account:

Mark 6:2-4
When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. "Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

Of course, it's possible that the reference is merely using the term brother as in brother's in Christ....
Veronica
Recognized Member

Post by Veronica »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Yeah I was pretty sure she did have other children...right? I remember a verse that refers to a James as his brother?
#1) that's becaus e in aramaic and hebrew this word (brother) often means cousin or distant relative. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't beleive there is even a word in aramaic for brother.

#2) Got this fom a book I'm reading...
"Two of the apostles were relatives of our Lord, namely, James and Jude. They were called 'brethren' of our Lord, but in aramaic and hebrew this word often means cousin or distant relative.....The phrase 'my dear brethren,' so often used from the pulpit, does not imply that all members of the congregation have the same mother...Scripture often uses "brethren" in the wide sense. For example, Lot is called the 'brother' of abraham, wheereas he was actually his nephew; Laban is called the "brother of Jacob", but he was his uncle. The sons of Oziel and Aaron, the sons of Cis and the daughters of Eleazar are called "Brothers," but they were cousins. So it is with the brethren of Our Lord. These two apostoles, James the Less and Jude were probably the sons of Cleophas, who was married to Our Lady's(Mary) sister."

May the Lord bless you and Keep you always!
Veronica
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Thus why I used the "?" :wink:

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

You can also use scripture from the old testament. "Be fruitful and multiply." Why would God ordain marriage without sex? Wouldn't they need children to tend the household?

Some clain that Mary died a virgin.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Poetic_Soul wrote:You can also use scripture from the old testament. "Be fruitful and multiply." Why would God ordain marriage without sex? Wouldn't they need children to tend the household?

Some clain that Mary died a virgin.
I fail to see what this has to do with whether Mary had children or not.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Alanna
Familiar Member

Post by Alanna »

"When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son.
After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own." John 19:26-27
If Mary did have other children, though this is contrary to my beleif, lets jut suppose she did. Why would Jesus intrust his mother to the beloved apostle John when her sons would assume responsibility? Lets say, john is her son...why then, would Jesus feel the need to tell John to take care of Mary if John were already her son?

God Bless!
Alanna
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

What reason is there to deny Mary had children after birthing Jesus? I think answering this question will help get to the heart of the issue.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)