(((Christians and Atheists)))

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
MarkColoradoUSA
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

(((Christians and Atheists)))

Post by MarkColoradoUSA »

If a christian convinces an atheist there is a God, then the atheist can gain life. If an atheist convinces a christian that there is no God, then the christian receives death. Who has better things to offer?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: (((Christians and Atheists)))

Post by neo-x »

Atheists are sad, angry people for reasons which are misguided.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

In my opinion atheism is child abuse as you are leading a soul in the direction of darkness instead of light
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
bigTop
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by bigTop »

Hi all.. Just signed up today.. How is everyone?

I just want to get this out there first and foremost: I am an atheist... I don't believe in bashing people for their own beliefs tho. With that said...

@MarkColoradoUSA
I'm an atheist, and very much alive!

@neo-x
I'm an atheist and I can't remember the last time I was sad, and as far as anger goes... That's an emotion I try to live without.

@Murray
I grew up a Christian. I was a Christian for nearly 25 years. Then, I took a step back and started looking at the world (societies/religions etc) as a whole. That's when I came to the conclusion that for the most part, religions were created to explain the (then) unexplainable, and to also give reason to existence.

Like I said before, I'm not here to bash people for their beliefs..

IF (and that's a big IF) I ever have children. I will not 'force' my non-beliefs on them. They, like myself, will have the free will to choose their own beliefs.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

Murray wrote:In my opinion atheism is child abuse as you are leading a soul in the direction of darkness instead of light
Actually... my husband was abused by people who called themselves Catholic and Mormon... and my mother who was Catholic abandoned me.

My husband was pretty fem and my in laws thought he was gay and took him to some pray the gay away type stuff. They also abused him because "spare the rod spoil the child". Hoped to beat feminess it out of him.(he was just really skinny and girly looking) His older brothers joined in on it as well... His doctor says he is lucky to still be able to walk.

I know not all Christians are like this . I wouldn't even say most... They couldn't possibly. But to say it is child abuse to choose a different way of life is very...

If you are wondering why there are so many Atheists in this world it is because of religious folks beating their children... to the point where they wouldn't want to believe in a god that supported such actions.

I feel lucky to still believe in a God. And have a religion.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

bigTop wrote:
IF (and that's a big IF) I ever have children. I will not 'force' my non-beliefs on them. They, like myself, will have the free will to choose their own beliefs.
Wow. See this is exactly what my husband always says. He will let our children choose.

We actually have several holy books in our home and we have read them all together. It really is a wonderful experience.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

We all make our own choices, you choose how you wish to react to your traumatic events in your life, I see you responded correctly and did not link your awful abuse to Christianity, but most, may I say, should not, unless however their parents beat them for sinning or something.

The reason Atheism is child abuse is you are raising a child to rebel against god, now being a man of faith do think it is fair to brainwash a child to rebel and hate his loving and caring father?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Actually... my husband was abused by people who called themselves Catholic and Mormon... and my mother who was Catholic abandoned me.
Jonouchi, There are a lot of people, who aren't Christians, who erroneously judge Christ by those who claim to follow Him. Imperfect people, no matter who, will always disappoint. Hebrews 13:5 says that God will never leave us nor forsake us. If you come to Him through Christ, you'll know real love that is indescribable. I pray that you see Christ for who He is, not who His followers are.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Hey Bigtop
@neo-x
I'm an atheist and I can't remember the last time I was sad, and as far as anger goes... That's an emotion I try to live without.
Well you have not seen the atheists I was talking about. Some are sad, some are angry. Some are normal. I have a few atheists in my family and being an ex-atheist my self. i know how that feels.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Noah1201
Recognized Member

Post by Noah1201 »

Murray wrote: The reason Atheism is child abuse is you are raising a child to rebel against god, now being a man of faith do think it is fair to brainwash a child to rebel and hate his loving and caring father?
First, non-belief is not synonymous with "hatred" and "rebellion". Second, teaching a child something is not synonymous with "brainwashing" them. Third, do you realize that any member of any other religion can make the same argument against Christianity?

Here is a piece of advice. Stop being a hateful bigot. If you don't like having your worldview being called child abuse, do us all a favor and obey Jesus when he tells you to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Try living without insulting those who disagree with you at every turn.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Noah1201 wrote:
Murray wrote: The reason Atheism is child abuse is you are raising a child to rebel against god, now being a man of faith do think it is fair to brainwash a child to rebel and hate his loving and caring father?
First, non-belief is not synonymous with "hatred" and "rebellion". Second, teaching a child something is not synonymous with "brainwashing" them. Third, do you realize that any member of any other religion can make the same argument against Christianity?

Here is a piece of advice. Stop being a hateful bigot. If you don't like having your worldview being called child abuse, do us all a favor and obey Jesus when he tells you to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Try living without insulting those who disagree with you at every turn.

From your deranged logic then, god is a hateful bigot.

Psalm 14:1 ESV
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good.

Hmm... raise your child to be corrupt, that sounds like good parenting.

John 17:17
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Raising your child in disbelief is teaching your child not to believe, love, have desire to serve, live under gods laws, or respect god, and I see that as spiritual abuse.

Now I see you have 0 respect for me (your hateful comment) , or my opinions and that is fine, this will be my last comment directed towards you as you have shown no christian love, respect, or dignitiy in your comment. You can disagree with me, but that gives you 0 right to personally insult my opinion.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

People do cruel things. However, you won't find any support for this in the bible. If a republican or democrat does something illegal, it is not a truth claim about the values of the republican or democratic platform.

Not to dismiss the abuses your relative faced. They are cruel and wrong. But they are temporary. If atheism is true, he will die and become worm food. When you die, you will be worm food, along with the rest of humanity. He won't be, and you won't be. Therefore his sufferings are meaningless. The only meaning they had was in the context of your own consciousness which was nothing but a blip of time on a spec of dust in a universe that has no more reason for existing than for not existing.

neo-x wrote:Atheists are sad, angry people for reasons which are misguided.
That isn't a fair assessment. There are plenty of happy atheists. And there are plenty of sad Christians.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:
People do cruel things. However, you won't find any support for this in the bible. If a republican or democrat does something illegal, it is not a truth claim about the values of the republican or democratic platform.
Well put
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Noah1201
Recognized Member

Post by Noah1201 »

Murray wrote:Raising your child in disbelief is teaching your child not to believe, love, have desire to serve, live under gods laws, or respect god, and I see that as spiritual abuse.

Now I see you have 0 respect for me (your hateful comment) , or my opinions and that is fine, this will be my last comment directed towards you as you have shown no christian love, respect, or dignitiy in your comment. You can disagree with me, but that gives you 0 right to personally insult my opinion.
After declaring over 70% [1] of the population to be child abusers, you are hardly the person to lecture others about a lack of "respect" and "love".

[1] Although you only specify "atheism" as the target of your insults, the reasons you give (teaching children to disbelieve in your God) apply to any non - evangelical Christian.