Rock music/rap/hip-hop

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

Rock music/rap/hip-hop

Post by Prodigal Son »

are they "bad"? i've been noticing lyrics more now and they more often than not seem to draw me away from God.

it seems i've always listened to rock when doing or about to do something negative or when in a negative mood. it's rarely made me feel positive.

rap/hip-hop seems to validate violence, promiscuity, and drugs. alot happier, though.

just for fun/conversation...what do you guys think?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Dan
Valued Member

Re: Rock music/rap/hip-hop

Post by Dan »

Prodigal Son wrote:are they "bad"? i've been noticing lyrics more now and they more often than not seem to draw me away from God.

it seems i've always listened to rock when doing or about to do something negative or when in a negative mood. it's rarely made me feel positive.

rap/hip-hop seems to validate violence, promiscuity, and drugs. alot happier, though.

just for fun/conversation...what do you guys think?
I listen to Iron Maiden and they're not exactly the most Christian band *coughthirdalbumcough* however I can really relate their songs to Christ and my personal struggle against sin, and the not so Christian songs, I still use as lessons about evil and temptation. Also, they *do* have a song titled The Sign of the Cross and it *is* a good song. =) I've been noticing they've been drifting towards God and not away from Him and that's pretty cool too.

Ok enough rambling, music is what you make out of it. I can take a song about a man succumbing to the devil and use it as a lesson that keeps me away from sin, but others can only see the song as glorifying the chief enemy. It's all about how you feel, if it hurts your faith, don't do it, if it doesn't, well meh, if it strengthens your faith, awesome!
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Stuff like that is probably subtle brainwashing. Come on, how many of those songs are about sex, getting drunk, other drugs, shooting/getting shot, and other illegal and immoral things? And they're made out to be good! :twisted:
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

In general it's not a good policy to subject oneself to such things. "Think on all good things" I think it's also pretty clear that a lot of music is not of the Lord and so musn't be beneficial to your walk with God. I liken it much to alcohol - not absolutely wrong but dangerous at the same time.

Also I have nothing against the genres; it's the message that counts. Nothing wrong with some hard Christian metal and I actually think it pleases God that people use the talents He gave them to tell the good news (in whatever form). I don't mind Pillar, though I'm more partial to 80's rock (Petra, Stryper, and the like).
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Felgar wrote:In general it's not a good policy to subject oneself to such things. "Think on all good things" I think it's also pretty clear that a lot of music is not of the Lord and so musn't be beneficial to your walk with God. I liken it much to alcohol - not absolutely wrong but dangerous at the same time.

Also I have nothing against the genres; it's the message that counts. Nothing wrong with some hard Christian metal and I actually think it pleases God that people use the talents He gave them to tell the good news (in whatever form). I don't mind Pillar, though I'm more partial to 80's rock (Petra, Stryper, and the like).
Ahhh Yes the Good Stuff Petra and Stryper. I like some new stuff like Relient K, POD (some of their songs), for Rap Soldierz, DC Talk. I also like Jeremy Camp, some Toby Mac Songs, Love People like Paul Brandt (for you Country and Canadian Folk).... Kenny Rogers for the older generation! :)
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

Pillar's "Where Do We Go From Here" album was the very first Christian album I ever got, shortly after my salvation. Wow, I remember feeling so out of place in the Christian bookstore, being my first time in there post-salvation and all. It was all kinda new and weird. Something drew me to that album, though, and it didn't disappoint.

Anyway, back on topic. A sound is just a sound. It's the message behind it and the way you use it that makes it good or bad. It was pretty immediate for me that I quit listening to secualar music. I just couldn't justify listening to it, or jumping through the hoops necessary to glean something positive from it. Some of it's innocent enough, and some has some nice positive messages, but most of what actually gets played on the radio and on TV is just garbage.

I actually wonder why so many Christians go through the trouble of justifying their listening to some stuff. I mean, there's some Christian music for pretty much any genre you can think of now. Gospel, rap, hip-hop, rock, metal, blues, jazz, tribal, club, techno, whatever. And there's just this...freedom, I guess, when you can pop in a CD and not have to wonder "Is this okay for me to do?" and more importantly you don't have to worry about someone else who sees you listening to it getting the wrong impression and thinking of you as a hypocrite.