honor thy mother and thy father

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

honor thy mother and thy father

Post by Prodigal Son »

honor thy mother and thy father...

what does this mean, really? can you hate and love someone at the same time? can you hate and honor someone at the same time? is this more about obligation of action or feeling?

what is honoring composed of?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Dan
Valued Member
Christian: No

Re: honor thy mother and thy father

Post by Dan »

Prodigal Son wrote:honor thy mother and thy father...

what does this mean, really? can you hate and love someone at the same time? can you hate and honor someone at the same time? is this more about obligation of action or feeling?

what is honoring composed of?
You really should really honor someone and love them in feeling. However you don't have to exactly be eager to do it. I know it's very hard to bless those who are against me during the day, but I do and I mean it. It's just very hard because I'm not used to doing it. However I am still able to do it because Christ empowers me to do so.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

And there's the corrolary that parents have the duty to act in such a way to deserve honor (my interpretation). Not that you shouldn't honor them if they don't deserve it.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I have wondered about this a lot. What I've come to conclude is that, (oh, and it's a sin to hate, so can't do that,) honor doesn't always mean obey. And even when God says to "obey your parents in the Lord for this is right," God will not tell you to obey if your parent tells you to sin. Honor as in respect as an authority, and also just because they're your parents. Do not disgrace or shame them, and unless necessary do not tell anyone of their faults so as to disgrace or shame them. If they are trying or disrespectful to you, give it to God and let Him who takes Vengence deal with it. Also, if they're Christian, think of them as Brothers and Sisters as well as parents.

Do I heed my own advice? Hardly in the least! One of my sins I'm discovering is slander. I'm very, very guilty of that, and sadly of my parents very much so. God is in the process of dealing with on that point. Not to get off-topic too much.