Salvation

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Salvation

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:Of course an atheist doesn't. No God equals no sin. Not everyone who isn't a Christian is an atheist. It would seem that your position permits only two choices. Christianity or atheism.

Does my example fail to explain someone who knows they are a sinner, yet may not be saved?
Are you talking about men having general revelation?
Not everyone who isn't a Christian is an atheist.
Did you really just say that to me, J? :D
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

One example could be general revelation. But why are you excluding specific revelation. The example was one seen often. I gave a specific one that comes up in prison ministry quite a bit.
DannyM wrote:Did you really just say that to me, J?
DannyM wrote:Did you really just say that to me, J? :D
Are you saying there are only two choices?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:One example could be general revelation. But why are you excluding specific revelation. The example was one seen often. I gave a specific one that comes up in prison ministry quite a bit.
So you think non-Christians have special revelation? Your example did nothing to convince me that these people know they are sinners.
Are you saying there are only two choices?
No. I never did.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

We can both agree that all people have general revelation.

Do people go to church, read the bible, hear a sermon, get witnessed to, and yet not trust Christ.
Have they received specific revelation?

Did the Pharisees believe in God. Did they understand sin? Did they have specific revelation? (Miracles)
What about Felix, Herod, Festus?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:Do people go to church, read the bible, hear a sermon, get witnessed to, and yet not trust Christ.

Have they received specific revelation?
I’d be engaging in guesswork if I went down that road, J.
Did the Pharisees believe in God. Did they understand sin? Did they have specific revelation? (Miracles)
They understand sin because they are religious men. How would you call this special revelation if it was not a revelation to them? They are in this sense blind.
What about Felix, Herod, Festus?
Blind.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Danny, we know from the scriptures that some Pharisees did convert. Nicodemus. Just stating, "blind" isn't really dealing with the question.

Miracles were special revelation.

You can make the judgment that they were blind, yet you state guesswork on the other question. Come on Danny. Work with me here.

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:Danny, we know from the scriptures that some Pharisees did convert. Nicodemus. Just stating, "blind" isn't really dealing with the question.

Miracles were special revelation.

You can make the judgment that they were blind, yet you state guesswork on the other question. Come on Danny. Work with me here.
Sorry, J, I'm going out in a bit and staying out so won't be back 'til tomorrow evening some time

But "blind", while you might think it a bit simplistic, is technically correct when applied to someone who is blind to a miracle

Anyway, homes, I'll catch up with you tomorrow and get into it more with you
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia