Saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.

Is the "through faith alone" a continuous faith, or a once upon a time faith?

Continuous faith
42%
Once upon a time faith
50%
I am undecided in my belief
8%

Total votes: 12

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

Post by FFC »

As opposed to bad Jews, Muslims, or Hindus? So a Jew, Muslim, or Hindu can be saved without believing in the name of Jesus?
I can agree with Grahams statement to a certain degree. There may be people from all different countries that are attracted to Christs light and are drawn to him before they even know who Christ is. I don't think God would refuse a response of faith to Him just because the individual didn't know who Christ was yet.

However if Jac is right then I would hope that God would be loving and benevelant enough to reveal Himself to that person so that he could believe in the right thing... in the right way.

Just thinking.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
As opposed to bad Jews, Muslims, or Hindus? So a Jew, Muslim, or Hindu can be saved without believing in the name of Jesus?
I can agree with Grahams statement to a certain degree. There may be people from all different countries that are attracted to Christs light and are drawn to him before they even know who Christ is. I don't think God would refuse a response of faith to Him just because the individual didn't know who Christ was yet.

However if Jac is right then I would hope that God would be loving and benevelant enough to reveal Himself to that person so that he could believe in the right thing... in the right way.

Just thinking.
More food for thought. The very idea that a general judgment will occur when Christ returns is an indication that non-believers still have a crack at salvation, is it not? Otherwise judgment is meaningless; it should be called condemnation, period. Perhaps that's when works will matter a great deal and will affect a non-believer's salvation?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Paul, I have split off our tangent subject to a new thread here: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =22&t=3235 and will respond shortly.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac,

Strangely enough, I just listened to an STR radio show where JP Moreland talks to Koukl on epistemology and our knowing. I enjoy listening to Koukl on STR, but would really recommend this broadcast in particular to you since Moreland talks on the nature of knowledge which has been a foundational difference between us in this discussion. Moreland explains the issue of knowing very well (about 42mins in). I would really recommend listening to what Moreland says even if you end up still disagreeing.

The radio show can be downloaded from STR's Radio Archives: http://www.strcast.org/podcast/weekly/072207.m3u
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Thanks for the link, K. I'll listen to it tonight. Moreland, though, is on record as being a non-foundationalist. I'll still try, as I always do, to listen with an open mind.

Anyway, I have a few things I want to say as we finish out this discussion, but they are going to have to wait little while as I am finishing up two classes and all of my spare time is going towards them--one of which is Greek Exegesis of Philippians (you can imagine the workload!). All that said, I think we've been pretty clear on our positions and what we see as the problems and strengths with each, which is about all I ever ask for. Hopefully you, and others, have found this as helpful as I have.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
zeppmeister
Newbie Member

Post by zeppmeister »

Jac3510 wrote:According to my understanding of things, saving faith is a one time exerice of faith (lit. belief) in Christ's promise to give everlastling life to all who believe Him (John 3:16; 6:47; 20:31; etc.). Continuous faith is not necessary to "make it to heaven."

There really is a LOT to say on this subject -- we've talked about it to a great degree in several threads -- but before I go and start laying out all kinds of issues that may not be of interest, I'll wait and see if anyone disagrees.
i would like to make a comment about this verse... you should take care of your faith..tru faith you will receive salvation from sins...you will taste the gift from heaven which is salvation..but if you will not take care of it, you will lost the salvation from sins.......

" For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." HEBREWS 6:4-6
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

zeppmeister,
I do not believe Heb 6:4-6 is referring to loss of salvation.

6:4a This word (once) comes from a Greek word meaning “once-for-all” and describes for us the one-time birth of the salvation experience (Jn 3:1-3). The writer is speaking to believers here, not believers who have fallen from salvation or people who professed to be saved but never were. The whole context relates to Christian instruction and deals with immaturity, not insecurity.
6:4b This word (enlightened) comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to become illuminated (i.e., saved)” (Heb 10:32). This word obviously refers to regeneration (i.e., the new birth) (Titus 3:5).
6:4c This word (have tasted) comes from a Greek word that is also a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to fully partake of the gift (i.e., salvation in its entirety - Heb 2:9)” (Rom 6:23 and Eph 2:8-9). This word also refers to regeneration.
6:4d This word (made) also comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to become real sharers (i.e., partakers) of the HOLY GHOST (at salvation)” (Jn 6:63, Ezk 37:1-10 and Eph 2:1,5).

6:5 This word (have tasted) also comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to fully partake (i.e., in its entirety - Heb 2:9) the good word of God and the powers of the world to come” (Rom 10:17).

6:6a This word (fall away) also comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to fall aside from known truth; to take a false step; to sin a sin that could lead to death” (I Jn 5:16). Although some Bible commentators want to associate this portion of Scripture with apostasy, the Greek word for apostasy is not used here. Again, the entire context relates to believers who err (i.e., make false steps) because of immaturity, not believers who have fallen from salvation. If this text here is teaching about believers that they can lose their salvation, then it is also teaching that such believers who fall once can never be saved again.

6:6,9b There are two kinds of repentance:
1. One for the unsaved (for salvation purposes - Mt 3:2,8,11)
2. One for the saved (for sanctification purposes - Lk 17:3-4 and II Cor 12:21)

The call here for repentance is aimed at the saved (beloved — vs. 9), for the purpose of sanctification.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:Thanks for the link, K. I'll listen to it tonight. Moreland, though, is on record as being a non-foundationalist. I'll still try, as I always do, to listen with an open mind.

Anyway, I have a few things I want to say as we finish out this discussion, but they are going to have to wait little while as I am finishing up two classes and all of my spare time is going towards them--one of which is Greek Exegesis of Philippians (you can imagine the workload!). All that said, I think we've been pretty clear on our positions and what we see as the problems and strengths with each, which is about all I ever ask for. Hopefully you, and others, have found this as helpful as I have.
Thanks for the discussion Jac. It has helped me immensely to think through my own beliefs.

Regarding the STR radio link, Moreland's explanation is really quite short (about 2-3 minutes at 42mins in). I am about to head out, but I might even do a transcript of his words later in the day as his explanation is quite succinct. Regarding his stance, I see Moreland is very much in the foundationalist camp, yet as we know from our discussion, there are different extremities regarding the certainty of truth (e.g., certainty allowing the possibility of being wrong versus a certainty entailing no possibility of being wrong).

Good luck with the Greek exegesis.
zeppmeister
Newbie Member

Post by zeppmeister »

[quote="YLTYLT"]zeppmeister,
I do not believe Heb 6:4-6 is referring to loss of salvation.

6:4a This word (once) comes from a Greek word meaning “once-for-all” and describes for us the one-time birth of the salvation experience (Jn 3:1-3). The writer is speaking to believers here, not believers who have fallen from salvation or people who professed to be saved but never were. The whole context relates to Christian instruction and deals with immaturity, not insecurity.
6:4b This word (enlightened) comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to become illuminated (i.e., saved)” (Heb 10:32). This word obviously refers to regeneration (i.e., the new birth) (Titus 3:5).
6:4c This word (have tasted) comes from a Greek word that is also a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to fully partake of the gift (i.e., salvation in its entirety - Heb 2:9)” (Rom 6:23 and Eph 2:8-9). This word also refers to regeneration.
6:4d This word (made) also comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to become real sharers (i.e., partakers) of the HOLY GHOST (at salvation)” (Jn 6:63, Ezk 37:1-10 and Eph 2:1,5).

6:5 This word (have tasted) also comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to fully partake (i.e., in its entirety - Heb 2:9) the good word of God and the powers of the world to come” (Rom 10:17).

6:6a This word (fall away) also comes from a Greek word that is a participle and aorist in tense and means “at once to fall aside from known truth; to take a false step; to sin a sin that could lead to death” (I Jn 5:16). Although some Bible commentators want to associate this portion of Scripture with apostasy, the Greek word for apostasy is not used here. Again, the entire context relates to believers who err (i.e., make false steps) because of immaturity, not believers who have fallen from salvation. If this text here is teaching about believers that they can lose their salvation, then it is also teaching that such believers who fall once can never be saved again.

6:6,9b There are two kinds of repentance:
1. One for the unsaved (for salvation purposes - Mt 3:2,8,11)
2. One for the saved (for sanctification purposes - Lk 17:3-4 and II Cor 12:21)

The call here for repentance is aimed at the saved (beloved — vs. 9), for the purpose of sanctification.[/q

the term Heavenly Gift here is refering to those who ONCE enlightened, HAVE been part takers, have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come. meaning they are currently having this heavently GIFT... so what is this heavenly gift??

then let post what it is...

Rom3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (KJV)

that GRACE can be acquired in the redemption MEANING salvation.......

so paul is saying this verses to the christians who are ONCE enlightened have tasted heavenly gift and good word of God....

IF they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open
shame

see?? they are already saved?? they cannot CRUCIFY the Son of GOD AGAIN.......meaning... THEY CANNOT RENEW them again unto repentance..and did you see the word IF!! meaning there is a posibility...
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jac wrote:--Again, how dare you imply that the glorious grace of God to save those who believe His testimony concerning His Son leads to apathy? It is that understanding that has kept me alive and has lit me and dozens that I personally know on fire in a way I have never experienced, nor even personally seen, in my own life.

Of course faith does those things. Where have I denied that? Where, BW? You can't make these claims that I believe such garbage without backing them up. So, yes, faith brings about growth in the Christian life. But does that mean faith is GUARANTEED TO LAST in our lives? No, it does not. That means that growth is not guaranteed.

Scripture please? Where does the Bible say that God will use our apathy to guarantee our return to Himself? Assertions are useless without Scripture to back them up.

Scripture, please? I am fully aware that God uses the rough times in our life to grow us closer to Himself, but show me where we are GUARANTEED such a result. It does not exist. In times of trial, we have a choice. We can submit to God and allow Him to work on our behalf, or we can rebel and yes lose our faith. Again, look at the Hebrew Christians. They fell away from the faith because of their persecution.

…Scripture, please? Show me the guarantee. It doesn't exist.
Scripture Please - okay Genesis Chapter One through Revelations Last chapter and verse - do you believe any of it? Does any of it provide help and aid in time of need? Do you believe God will keep his word? Did God's word ever once speak directly to you and help you or was this instead thwarted by contextual/grammar arguments? This is what I mean by the above statements - living Faith not intellectual faith. That is how God develops our Faith.

Have you ever really counseled a person or even meet a person how had lost Faith? The ones I have and who have died — hated God and never were Christians.

Your Comments contradict your own arguments — you say faith is important but then it is not. I am talking about how God increases a person's faith in Himself. You sound like this part is simply rubbish and tripe: That saving grace has no effect to move a person's faith to trust God from trusting themselves and their own works. That God is not busy fashioning you into his masterpiece created in Christ Jesus for a vocation of good virtues which God prepared beforehand that we should live by?
Jac wrote: Where does the Bible say that you can't lose your faith by walking away from God? I can show you where its says that you cannot lose your SALVATION by walking away from God. But where does it say that we can't lose our faith. BW, show me ONE VERSE that says our faith is invincible.

Now, you are so busy telling me ways that one cannot lose faith. Fine. Tell me the ways that one can. Tell me how Billy Graham lost his faith. Tell me how Ehrman lost his. Tell me how Flew, Barker, Templeton, and the host of others lost of their faiths. You tell me, BW. How did it happen? And how can you be SO SURE it won't happen to you?

So Graham's faith was never real. Then how do you know that YOUR faith is real? And what do you do with the fact that JESUS HIMSELF says that some people believe for a while, and then they stop believing (Luke 8:13)?
Hebrews 11: all

Jesus —John 3:15-21. Also I NEVER SAID THAT BILLY GRAHAM LOST HIS FAITH NOR ANYONE ELSE. ASK BILLY GRAHAM IF HE BELIEVES AND WHAT HE BELIEVES NOT ME.

Jac — again your definition of faith is not mine and that is why you cannot understand what I mean at all. DO YOU BELIVE GOD'S WORD AT ALL? Does it mean anything to you in any way at all. Did it ever provide comfort and help? What did that do for you if not increased your faith? IT INCREASED YOUR FAITH IN GOD. NOW HAVE YOU LOST THIS? You are simply confusing doubt for losing faith. That is sad.

We do agree that we cannot lose our salvation. We do agree that a person can lose his/her faith. However, the interpretation of losing faith is the difference. You stated faith is lost — so what — not needed for salvation. I stated the same thing but with this difference the faith you lose is faith in yourself in order to gain faith in God.

1 John 5:4-5 and 1 John 5:11-13 both teach what I am saying. From your confusing contradictory ideology — we cannot overcome as such faith mentioned by John is tripe because the scriptures cannot be trusted to mean what they say nor can God's word provide any guidance/comfort at all because the verses do not line up with your brand of ideology just a Twist it away — say it ain't so philosophy.

God loves you and gave his son to die on a cross for you that you may live — do you believe? Yes! Next God takes you on a living journey where you lose faith in yourself in exchange for faith in him. Faith is also a gift from God and each person receives a measure of faith, Gifts and callings of God are not reneged.

You cannot lose the faith God is instructing you on. Hebrews 11 describes faith as such a journey. Gods is building faith in Himself during this journey. We learn of it through his word. Do you believe his word? Then you have faith. Twist his word — then your human faith must be lost in exchange for the faith in God that the Lord wants to instruct. That is the message of the bible.

The reason why I cannot understand your logic is that it is contradictory as well as confusing — yes we need faith and then the next — no we do not.

I view the Christian faith as a living journey where God brings us to a pinnacle of decision where we must lose faith in our selves and our abilities in exchange for true refined, tested, proven faith that trust God alone. That faith in God this measure of faith the Lord is developing in you and I will not be lost as it is of great value to God.

Our faith in ourselves will be lost. Jac I think you are confusing this human faith as Christian faith. This is most sad as we are saying so much of the same things yet you cannot see the forest for the trees.

You want scripture — I have given the entire bible as reference and of how God works in a person's life to teach them Faith in God. Are you denying God's word can even produce this kind of faith in the Lord? — then why read it? I hope this is not what your are saying.

Ephesians 2:8-10 also teaches what I am saying as does is Ephesians 4:13-14.

Jac — is Ephesians 4:13-14 possible?

Jac — I look at the whole matter, not just focus on a single part. I see the entirety of the puzzle — you see individual parts and confuse them as the whole. That is the weakness of scholastic — pragmatic thought as it is based solely on human faith and ability to be right at all cost. That type of faith must be lost so that a person may grow up in all things into Him who is the head — Christ.

I lost that kind of faith long ago and discovered that I can trust [faithest] the living God, our Lord Savior Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Though He slay me — yet I will still praise Him. My life is in His hands totally — I found rest. I had the seat of my power ripped through the crisis of faith and have learned to walk with a limp.

God's love so great to break us so we may live near and dear to him! Now I am certain, fully persuaded, convinced, He will never ever let his children go-He saved us- He refines and purifies our faith — He restores the soul. Yet, for my belief in such a great God — you want to crucify me and make me a liar — go ahead if that what it will take to restore your soul to a living faith in God and to lose your own faith in yourself and your own reason.

You want scripture proof of what I write — again read Genesis through Revelation look at the whole and not just only certain parts. Do you believe any of it? - Then you have faith developing - if not you will in due time.

God Bless you Jac,

Jac, You are on a journey and need to learn many things — I have faith in God that He alone will instruct you on this matter of Faith and you will find faith in Him as real, lasting, and vitally important — not for eternal security — but to teach you who God is and is about that you may grow up in all things into Him who is the head — Christ. In this unity we will rejoice together at a latter time: That God's grace which brings salvation has an effect to move your faith to trust God alone and away from trusting yourself and your own works. That God will be busy fashioning you into his masterpiece created in Christ Jesus for a vocation of good virtues which God prepared beforehand [predestined] that you should live by these.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

So I note in your reply, BW, that you still didn't supply any Scripture that said "A believer will never lose his faith." Instead, you appeal to the whole of Scripture, which translates into, "No, I don't have a verse that says I cannot lose my faith. It's just the way I interpret the whole Bible."

Against this, I have Jesus Himself saying a person can lose their faith: "They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away." (Luke 8:13, NIV). And this word "testing" (πειρασμου) is the same word used in James 1 for testing.

As far as faith being important, there is no such thing that is "just important." You have to ask yourself, "Important to what?" Is my car battery important? Yes, it is important in the context of making my car go. Is it important to my ability to post on discussions.godandscience.org? No.

Is faith important? It is important in the following contexts:

Regeneration (John 3:1-15); experiencing the totality of the "saved" life (Eph 2:8-10); the ability to please God (Heb 11:6); avoiding the wrath that comes with apostasy and gaining the rewards that come with perseverance (Heb 10:32-38); bearing fruit in this life (Luke 8:15); enjoying the peace of God in our lifes (Phil 4:6-7); etc. I could go on and on and on.

The short answer is this: faith is important to living the Christian life, and thus, "The just shall live my faith."

Faith is NOT important in the sense of maintaining salvation (2 Tim 2:13), which is exactly what this thread is about.

Now . . . since I have Jesus Himself saying that faith can be temporary, don't you think you should reconsider how you interpret "Genesis Chapter One through Revelations Last chapter and verse" if it causes you to think He is wrong?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jac, what I wrote below was written before you even responded to my email. It was something I was hoping not to post but by Faith I knew it must and wrote it for you:

1 Corinthians 2:4-5
Paul writes here that ones Faith should be in the power of God not the wisdom of men. However, when it comes to this subject about faith — man's wisdom triumphant!

Jac you are the one who stated earlier that a person can lose his/her faith as well as fall into apathy. You were the one stating that such losing of faith is due in part to apathy.
Jac wrote:--Again, how dare you imply that the glorious grace of God to save those who believe His testimony concerning His Son leads to apathy? It is that understanding that has kept me alive and has lit me and dozens that I personally know on fire in a way I have never experienced, nor even personally seen, in my own life
Jac- this sounds like faith too me but you were the one who stated that a person loses faith in part because of apathy and here now you say the opposite. You must have faith in his word here which speaks of God's grace. This understanding you speak of teaches you faith in God Jac concerning God's grace. However, you still say a person can lose this very faith in God they have learned — but you have not — what sense does that make? None.

Yes, a person will lose faith in his/her self as well as in his/her own works and from this God will restore faith in Himself through this process of a person losing faith in self so that they learn faith in God. In this you disagree but I simply do not understand why? You cite others to back your claim and ask for scripture from me to back up the reality of that such process exist.

This form argument you pose has been used by our christdelphian friend regarding the Trinity. As he stated — the word Trinity is not used in the bible — scripture please. Since the very word Trinity is not mentioned once in the bible therefore it is false.

We both know this is false logic because the bible is saturated and soaked through and through with examples of the Trinity of God. It does teach it. We know it and see the examples. Our christdelphian friend cannot not as it is only — Scripture Please! We show him the scriptures but the wisdom of men he adheres too no matter what you show him from the bible.

Are not you doing the same thing with this subject of faith under discussion? You state that you want 'scripture please' that proves the theme that God refines our faith and brings us to the end of ourselves and thus restores our faith in Him and this we cannot lose. The bible is saturated and soaked through and through with examples of this.

Look at Hebrews 11:17, 32-40. What does it teach?
Hebrews 11: 17-40 What then of Elijah under the tree when he despaired of life itself? Is this an example of lost faith in himself or God? What was God's response? Did God leave him in his despair to honor Elijah losing his faith? God had seven thousands other prophets ready that had not bent the knee to Baal God could have used because Elijah lost his faith.

The Lord, according to the wisdom of men, should have honored this exercise of free will and left Elijah there under that tree and picked another. After all Elijah would be classed as saved — lost a few rewards that's all; then died of old age and went to heaven anyway! This did not happen — Elijah learned to really trust — have faith in God and not in himself. God restored new faith in Elijah and that faith was in God alone. Elijah was changed after this. “It was no longer 'I' alone am left” but rather what God has reserved and was doing all along! The 'I' alone in Elijah had to be removed so that Faith in God restored.

Grace — God's loving-kindness — did not forsake Elijah it moved Elijah's faith to really trust in the Lord and not in his own works of faith. Was Elijah really alone or was God with him all along just a still quiet voice away? The 'I' in Elijah became a 'we' through God's grace that moved the 'I' out of Elijah's faith.

As Hebrews 12:1-3 states: Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our faith. He chastises — he does what is necessary to build faith in him alone. This is what God's grace does, it builds faith in God. This you cannot lose because who is the author and perfecter of our Faith? Since He is would He renege on this His gift? God's grace - the gift of his great love that never fails — do you have faith in this?Jude1:24-25 What of this passage? The whole bible is filled with such examples.

How about Peter? He denied Christ three times and then latter decided to go back fishing? Did Christ leave him there by the shores to just fish? According to you, the answer would be yes. Peter was saved — heaven bound — faith not necessary at all he had God's Grace. Peter would have lost a few rewards in heaven that is all. NO — Jesus did not abandon Peter; Jesus went after Peter and confronted him and restored Faith in Christ that works by Great Love that seeks after those strayed.

Everyone has a crisis of faith. God will see you through that time and bring you through it and your faith in God grows stronger. This is an act of love — God's love which is his Grace shown towards humanity. His love changes the direction of our lives and it pours out grace in overabundance - it increases a lasting faith in God.

For some odd reason you claim this is a works based salvation simply because faith is involved. IT IS NOT A WORKS BASED SALVATION. You cannot lose this kind of faith God builds in you. His love will not permit it. You will lose faith in yourself but not in God.

Ephesians 2:8-10 has been so often misquoted by just quoting verse 8-9 and ignoring verse 10 that what the Greek text is clearly stating is missed in exchange for the wisdom of men and not the power of God. The Greek word Dia used between saved and faith means through — not just moving through something from head to tail and out the other end as in classical Greek but rather to 'move through with an intended effect.' It is used to tie in verse 10 as that is the intended effect of God's grace which brings salvation.

In Ephesians 2:4-5 it states that Grace of God involves his great love. This is a common element of Grace and faith — returning to the theme of God's love. Note that Faith works by love in Galatians 5:6. Also realize that the ancient Hebrew idea about grace is summed up as 'loving-kindness' and Paul himself knew all about this from his historical background and training. He would have known and discussed Psalms 107 due to his educational background.

Note that it does not say in John 3:16, “for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that you can lose your faith in Him,” but rather, “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.” NKJV --WILL NOT PERISH means what Jac? - Do yu have Faith in this? If will not perish - how can you lose it? The gifts and callings of God are what?

From Ephesians 2:4-5 this theme leads to verses 8 and 9 and uncovers the intended effect such grace has on faith in verse 10 as God making us his masterpiece [Eph 2: 22] created shaped in/by Christ Jesus for a new vocation of good virtues. These good virtues are described later in Eph 3:16-17 which ties masterpiece — Christ in you - back to theme of love. The vocation of good virtues is later described by Paul in Eph 4:21-31. Again Eph 5:1-2, 8-17 returns us back to what the masterpiece we are being shaped into is as well as what the vocation of good virtue we are to now walk consist of.

Note: A word for word English translation from Greek text misses much of the Greek and a person will have too add a few words to uncover the richness of the Greek text into English — This is what I attempted to do as well as line it up with the pattern clearly written later in Paul's letter in this personal translation below of Eph 2:8-10.

Eph 2:8-10, “God's grace which brings salvation 'to move through with an intended effect on' faith [trust God alone] this is God's gift, so you will not trust yourself and in your own works: Him! Will be busy fashioning you into his masterpiece created in Christ Jesus for a vocation of good virtues which God prepared beforehand [predestined] that you will live by these.”

The intended effect of Grace/salvation is to — change - faith to be in God alone and not in ourselves or in our own works. God is busy fashioning us into His masterpiece created in/by Christ Jesus for a life's vocation of good virtues, transforming us into a good nature, and excellent character, which God prepared beforehand [predestined] that we will live by these. This is God's gift least anyone should boast. Faith in self will be removed and faith in God alone cemented in such manner you cannot lose it. That is his gift of love — to change our and your faith to rest in God — his Grace through faith.

What is the greatest commandment? What was God's desire for his people mentioned in Deuteronomy? God's love is a gift — it is grace that transforms faith and this you will not lose. Grace transforms faith.

That is how I read the Greek text in Ephesians and it lines up with what the rest of the bible says on this matter way too numerous to quote here.

Jac, I hope you are not denying this just to placate your wisdom as superior for the sake of simple argument just to be right at all cost — your faith should be in the Lord and not in the wisdom of men. Even you recognize that God will not let you become apathetic. If this is so — how is your faith in God regarding this? Can you lose that?
Jac wrote:--Again, how dare you imply that the glorious grace of God to save those who believe His testimony concerning His Son leads to apathy? It is that understanding that has kept me alive and has lit me and dozens that I personally know on fire in a way I have never experienced, nor even personally seen, in my own life
I never dared nor implied that the glorious grace of God to save those who believe His testimony concerning His Son leads to apathy in fact it is you that implied this, not me. I simply responded to what you said on this matter and commented that easy believism leads to apathy. If you read further — God will not leave his people in that state as he will go after them, calling them to return to him.

This is something the unchanging God has done for centuries for his people — call to repent and return to him. I have been saying all along that you cannot lose this kind of faith that is precious to God as he will apply what ever means necessary to restore faith in Him within own His people to love him.

Psalms 107:43, “Whoever is wise will observe these things, and they will understand the lovingkindness of the LORD.” NKJV
-
-
The above was written before your response and now I write in response to your comment regarding Luke 8:13. I will answer with:
2 John 9-10

There are only two kinds of people Jac and please do not take Luke 8:13 out of context as you have done.

God separates two kinds of people — those that are his and those that are not. Those that are his will never fall away. That is the test.

Yes Jac, we both agree here Faith is NOT important in the sense of maintaining salvation (2 Tim 2:13), which is exactly what this thread is about; however; faith is important in that you will not lose your faith in God who gives grace, for to do so God would be dening his great love towards those that believe in him.

Jac — what is Grace? Is it Eph 2: 4-5?

It is good to hear of your great faith in God's grace — at least you admit to that so therefore faith has some importance to you to move you to an unshakable foundation.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

B.W.

I think I understand what you are saying here (but please correct me if I don't ! :D )

Of course, much of what I post probably comes from my reformed background so to some degree you might already predict what I would say and Jac of course might disagree :D but still want to say it.

As I have grown in Christ I also grow more and more aware of my sinfulness. It is one thing to say "I have faith in Christ, and He saved me" and of course what a glorious and joyful moment that is. But even my faith is woefully immature, more mature hopefully 25 years later but even now I am saddened whenever I catch myself not having faith in Christ and God.

But we are a new creation and that means a realtionship. And any realtionship is maintained. Christ maintains us.

When I sin I still oftentimes withdraw from HIm, not faithful in HIm for HIs grace. In my daily walk, the moment I start to worry, give in to my fears, am I not showing my faithlessness to Him who saved me? Really, if we examine ourselves at moments in our lives we trust more in ourselves and really, isn't that the purpose of sanctification? To grow in our faith of His redeeming grace and His character and His love and Him. He really is the author and perfector of our faith.

THe more I learn about God, the more I am convinced of the truth of that statement.

One of my favorites of Charles Spurgeon. http://www.ccel.org/ccel/spurgeon/morneve.d0628am.html
spurgeon wrote: “Looking unto Jesus.”

Hebrews 12:2
It is ever the Holy Spirit's work to turn our eyes away from self to Jesus; but Satan's work is just the opposite of this, for he is constantly trying to make us regard ourselves instead of Christ. He insinuates, “Your sins are too great for pardon; you have no faith; you do not repent enough; you will never be able to continue to the end; you have not the joy of his children; you have such a wavering hold of Jesus.” All these are thoughts about self, and we shall never find comfort or assurance by looking within. But the Holy Spirit turns our eyes entirely away from self: he tells us that we are nothing, but that “Christ is all in all.” Remember, therefore, it is not thy hold of Christ that saves thee—it is Christ; it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee—it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, though that be the instrument—it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, look not so much to thy hand with which thou art grasping Christ, as to Christ; look not to thy hope, but to Jesus, the source of thy hope; look not to thy faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of thy faith. We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, or our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul. If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by “looking unto Jesus.” Keep thine eye simply on him; let his death, his sufferings, his merits, his glories, his intercession, be fresh upon thy mind; when thou wakest in the morning look to him; when thou liest down at night look to him. Oh! let not thy hopes or fears come between thee and Jesus; follow hard after him, and he will never fail thee.

“My hope is built on nothing less

Than Jesus' blood and righteousness:

I dare not trust the sweetest frame,

But wholly lean on Jesus' name.”
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

This script is getting fairly repetitive. Every time I give you a line by line response, as I'll do here, I show you consistently attributing to me positions that I don't hold. You've only done it again here.
1 Corinthians 2:4-5
Paul writes here that ones Faith should be in the power of God not the wisdom of men. However, when it comes to this subject about faith — man's wisdom triumphant!
When did I say that my faith was in man's wisdom? In fact, have I not repeatedly defined faith as simply believing that God told the truth?
Jac you are the one who stated earlier that a person can lose his/her faith as well as fall into apathy. You were the one stating that such losing of faith is due in part to apathy.
Jac3510 wrote:--Again, how dare you imply that the glorious grace of God to save those who believe His testimony concerning His Son leads to apathy? It is that understanding that has kept me alive and has lit me and dozens that I personally know on fire in a way I have never experienced, nor even personally seen, in my own life
Jac- this sounds like faith too me but you were the one who stated that a person loses faith in part because of apathy and here now you say the opposite. You must have faith in his word here which speaks of God's grace. This understanding you speak of teaches you faith in God Jac concerning God's grace. However, you still say a person can lose this very faith in God they have learned — but you have not — what sense does that make? None.
Where in that quote did I say that people necessarily lose faith because of apathy? You asked how people could lose their faith and then wrongly assumed it be through hard circumstances in life. I said that a person can lose their faith through apathy. You accused me of holding a view that leads to apathy. How is that? How does my view lead to apathy? Where did I claim that a person must necessarily lose their faith in my view? Where did I claim that apathy is always the cause? And where did I say that my faith was in anything other than God's grace? Have I not repeatedly defined faith as believing that God told the truth in His promise of everlasting life? Do you not see God's offer of salvation as an act of grace? If so, then show me where I have ever said or implied that I don't have, nor believe in, faith in God's grace.
Yes, a person will lose faith in his/her self as well as in his/her own works
Where have I ever talked anywhere in this thread about a person's faith in themselves as having anything to do with salvation? This, in fact, is my primary argument against K's position - he puts more faith in himself than I do in myself. Take this argument to his side of the fence. It has no bearing on me.
and from this God will restore faith in Himself through this process of a person losing faith in self so that they learn faith in God.
1) Where have I said that a person needs to have faith in themselves?
2) Where does the Bible say that losing faith in yourself necessarily leads to faith in God?
In this you disagree but I simply do not understand why? You cite others to back your claim and ask for scripture from me to back up the reality of that such process exist.
Where have I disagreed with this? We haven't even talked about it. What I have shown is that people lose faith in God's promise. They stop believing He told the truth. I'm still waiting on you to show me Scripture that says a person can never stop believing God told the truth.
This form argument you pose has been used by our christdelphian friend regarding the Trinity. As he stated — the word Trinity is not used in the bible — scripture please. Since the very word Trinity is not mentioned once in the bible therefore it is false.
1) Our Christadelphian friend has a name. Are you trying to score debate points by comparing my view to the views of a person who holds to a heretical perception of Christianity?
2) I can easily site Scripture to substantiate my belief in the Trinity. Where have I said that I could not cite Scripture to substantiate my view that faith could be lost?
3) As far as you comparison to the lack of the word "Trinity" in the Bible, where have I argued that the word "perseverance" is not used in the Bible? Where have I said that because any word is not used, then a doctrine must be false?

I am asking for Scripture because I see NO SCRIPTURAL EVIDENCE to support your CLAIM that God will guarantee our faith will be preserved until the end. If you want to convince me I am wrong, then just offer one verse, or a collection of verses that clearly teach the doctrine of the final perseverance of the saints. I can do it with the Trinity. I can do it with my view on faith. Can you with yours? You haven't yet.
We both know this is false logic because the bible is saturated and soaked through and through with examples of the Trinity of God. It does teach it. We know it and see the examples. Our christdelphian friend cannot not as it is only — Scripture Please! We show him the scriptures but the wisdom of men he adheres too no matter what you show him from the bible.
Again, where have I argued that because the word isn't found in Scripture, then the doctrine must not be true? Show me Scripture to back up your position, BW.
Are not you doing the same thing with this subject of faith under discussion? You state that you want 'scripture please' that proves the theme that God refines our faith and brings us to the end of ourselves and thus restores our faith in Him and this we cannot lose. The bible is saturated and soaked through and through with examples of this.
Where have I argued that God does not refine our faith? Show me ONE time I ever said that He does not. Where have I argued that God does not teach us to die to self? Show me ONE time I ever said that He does not. What I have asked for is Scripture that teaches that we cannot lose faith. You say, "The Bible is saturated and soaked through and through with examples of this." If it is, then it should be easy for you to show it to me.
Look at Hebrews 11:17, 32-40. What does it teach?
11:17 talks about Abraham sacrificing Isaac to God. He believed that God would keep His promises. There is nothing there about a loss of faith or the guarantee that he would not lose faith. 32-40 speak of the tribulations that saints suffered through life. They believed God would tell the truth.

Where have I ever denied, EVER, that God uses testing to refine our faith? Where have I EVER argued that ALL people will lose faith? WHERE?
Hebrews 11: 17-40 What then of Elijah under the tree when he despaired of life itself? Is this an example of lost faith in himself or God? What was God's response? Did God leave him in his despair to honor Elijah losing his faith? God had seven thousands other prophets ready that had not bent the knee to Baal God could have used because Elijah lost his faith.
What does Heb 11 have to do with Elijah? He doesn't even appear in that passage? That story is found in 1 Kings 19.

Now, you say that Elijah lost faith in this passage. What did he lose faith in? What promise did he stop believing? Did he stop believing that God cared for him? Did he stop believing that God would work justice? You ask God's response: God rebuked him for thinking he was the only one. As if Elijah was that important, God shattered his sense of self importance by telling him that He had 7,000 others who were still faithful.

So tell me, BW - Where have I EVER claimed that God does not rebuke or discipline those who lose their faith? You seem to believe that I hold the idea that if we lose our faith God just shrugs His shoulders and walks away. Where did you get such a silly notion?
The Lord, according to the wisdom of men, should have honored this exercise of free will and left Elijah there under that tree and picked another.
And where have I ever said God should have done that?
After all Elijah would be classed as saved — lost a few rewards that's all; then died of old age and went to heaven anyway!
You speak of the loss or rewards as if it is no be deal. How can you speak with such flippancy and disdain about our eternal inheritance?
This did not happen — Elijah learned to really trust — have faith in God and not in himself.
So Elijah didn't "really" trust God before? He didn't "really" have faith in God before? He had faith in himself and not in God? Is that what you want me to believe?
God restored new faith in Elijah and that faith was in God alone. Elijah was changed after this. “It was no longer 'I' alone am left” but rather what God has reserved and was doing all along! The 'I' alone in Elijah had to be removed so that Faith in God restored.
Again, so Elijah didn't really trust God before? Elijah's faith was in a mixture of God and himself, which actually amounts to just a faith in himself. So tell me, BW, since you seem to believe that Elijah had never trusted God alone until that point in his life: was Elijah saved prior to that? If he had never really trusted God alone, I don't see how. Or are you going to tell me that a man can be saved without trusting in God alone, that he can be saved by trusting in himself?

Still again, show me anywhere in this thread, or any other thread that I have addressed this topic, that I ever argued, or even implied, that God would not discipline or rebuke or attempt to restore the faith of the apostate?
Grace — God's loving-kindness — did not forsake Elijah
Where have I ever claimed that God would forsake us?
it moved Elijah's faith to really trust in the Lord and not in his own works of faith.
Again, so Elijah had before that only trusted in his own works? Was Elijah saved, BW? If he trusted his own works, how was he saved?
Was Elijah really alone or was God with him all along just a still quiet voice away? The 'I' in Elijah became a 'we' through God's grace that moved the 'I' out of Elijah's faith.
Where have I ever argued that God was more than a prayer away? Where have I ever argued that He forsakes us? I don't believe that He does, BW. I am quite fond of a poem called Footprints. I suggest you look it up if you haven't read it before.
As Hebrews 12:1-3 states: Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our faith.
Where have I said He wasn't?
He chastises
Where have I said He doesn't?
he does what is necessary to build faith in him alone.
How do you mean "build" faith in Him alone? So it is possible to be saved without believing in Christ alone? That is something Jesus works out in us over time?
This is what God's grace does, it builds faith in God.
Where have I argued it doesn't?
This you cannot lose because who is the author and perfecter of our Faith? Since He is would He renege on this His gift? God's grace - the gift of his great love that never fails — do you have faith in this?
I'm going to suggest that your understanding of this passage is not only wrong, but very dangerous. Let's look at the passage briefly:
  • Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Notice the parts in bold, BW. Yes, Jesus IS the Author and Finisher of our faith, so long as we keep our eyes on Him. But notice that the text says that sin EASILY ENTANGLES us. It is WE who are to run "with perseverance." It is NOT guaranteed. How are we to accomplish this? By fixing our eyes on Jesus, as a runner fixes his eyes on the finish line. And how are we to fix our eyes on Him? By "considering" (that is, reckoning, focusing on) Jesus' own Person and example. If we don't do this, what is the result? We will "grow weary and lose heart."

BW, this texts teaches exactly what I have been saying throughout this thread. A person can lose their faith. Now, you insist that we cannot. That is VERY dangerous, because it makes it far to easy to take our eyes off the very thing that will help us survive. Your theology is like that of a boxer who refuses to prepare for a fight on the basis that his adrenaline will kick in and guarantee him victory. He is setting himself up for failure.

Now, beyond my problems with YOUR interpretation, let's talk about how you perceive my interpretation. Where, BW, have I ever argued that Jesus was not the Author and Finisher of our faith? Where have I argued that He would renege on His gift? Have I not repeatedly said the opposite? Where have I ever said that His love fails? Where, BW? Where have I ever argued this even one time? EVEN ONCE?
Jude1:24-25 What of this passage? The whole bible is filled with such examples.
As to Jude 24, where have I argued that Jesus was NOT capable of keeping us from falling? Where, BW? Notice that the text says "who is ABLE to keep you from falling." It does NOT say "who WILL keep you from falling." Jesus promises that He WILL abide in us IF we abide in Him (John 15). Show me where in Scripture Jesus says He will keep us from falling into sin no matter what. Where does the Bible teach that? In fact, if Jesus was going to keep these believers from falling, then why did Jude even bother writing the letter, BW?
How about Peter? He denied Christ three times and then latter decided to go back fishing? Did Christ leave him there by the shores to just fish? According to you, the answer would be yes. Peter was saved — heaven bound — faith not necessary at all he had God's Grace. Peter would have lost a few rewards in heaven that is all. NO — Jesus did not abandon Peter; Jesus went after Peter and confronted him and restored Faith in Christ that works by Great Love that seeks after those strayed.
Where did I say that Jesus leaves behind the person that loses faith? Your entire argument against me is based on the idea that God walks away from those who lose faith. WHERE HAVE I CLAIMED THAT? I want a quote of myself. Quote me, BW. Where did I ever make such a retarded, silly, stupid claim as that?

Second of all, where have I claimed that faith was not necessary? Did I not predicate regeneration on faith?

Where are you getting such off the wall ideas out of my words? Are you even reading what I am saying? Have you stopped for two minutes to consider what I am saying, BW? You haven't anything of substance that correctly reflects my position. At least K had the respect to interact with my position as I hold it. You've been condescending to the extreme, attributing to me positions that I not only do not hold, but in fact that I repudiate.
Everyone has a crisis of faith.
Where have I said this was not true?
God will see you through that time and bring you through it and your faith in God grows stronger.
I see Scripture where God will use the evil in our lives to make us stronger in Him. Where have I argued that He does not do that? WHERE? Now, I am STILL asking for a Scripture that says that God guarantees our faith. I haven't seen one. I haven't even seen a syllogism of related Scriptures that form this idea as a logical conclusion.
This is an act of love — God's love which is his Grace shown towards humanity. His love changes the direction of our lives and it pours out grace in overabundance - it increases a lasting faith in God.
So I checked several translations and couldn't find the phrase "lasting faith" anywhere in the Bible. This tells me that you have a derived doctrine. Now, I'm OK with that. So tell me - what Scriptures have you compared to get the idea that God's grace results in a lasting faith? I'd just like to see what in the Bible has you so convinced you are right.
For some odd reason you claim this is a works based salvation simply because faith is involved. IT IS NOT A WORKS BASED SALVATION. You cannot lose this kind of faith God builds in you. His love will not permit it. You will lose faith in yourself but not in God.
WHAT?!??! Where have I EVER claimed that a faith based salvation is a works based salvation? Where have I said that faith is a work? As a moderator, I expect VERY much more from you than that. In fact, in this very thread, I have said that I did not think that K holds to a works based salvation. ttoews and those in his camp . . . yes, I see that there. That is because he makes repentance a part of faith. But where, WHERE, have I EVER said that the belief in the final perseverance of the saints results in a works based salvation??????

Secondly, you say, "You cannot lose this kind of faith God builds in you." I want a Bible verse that says that. You say, "His love will not permit it." I want a Bible verse that says that. Thirdly, you say, " You will lose faith in yourself." Where have I denied this, and what does this have to do with my position? Finally, you say, "but not in God." I want a Bible verse that says that.

Anyway, my time is up. I have an appointment to get to. Scanning over the remainder of your post, I see more of the same. Where have I denied that we are created to do good works (eph 2:10)? Where have I argued that we will perish if we stop believing (John 3:16)? In fact, have I not argued against both of these ideas? You talk about the greatest commandment is to love. Are you saying that we must keep the Greatest Commandment to be saved? If so, then while I won't accuse K of a works based salvation, I will certainly levy the charge at YOU.

As for all your talk about Greek, if you want to talk Greek with me, then talk Greek. Let's talk syntax. Let's talk semantic ranges. Let's agree on our lexicon and let's do a word study. Strong's, Vines, and Robertson's Word Pictures, while nice, are of very little interest to me. I don't want to be harsh in this area, but you keep dropping tidbits of Greek here and there . . . do you read the language or not? I do, and you don't see me dropping it like you do. So, if you want to go that route, we can. We can start doing our own translations of texts if you like. Otherwise, let's keep this honest and in the open. I hardly think we need to be able to read Greek in order to know whether or not faith is guaranteed to last. Why, if we have to know Greek, then everyone on this board except a couple of us may as well close the thread now.

Finally, you stated in passing that I have taken Luke 8:13 out of context. I'd like to see how. Jesus plainly states that some people believe (have faith) and then IN TIMES OF TESTING they fall away. You consistently argue that God ALWAYS uses times of testing to grow our faith. And yet Jesus says the opposite. So Jesus was wrong? How am I out of context? Are you going to tell me they didn't REALLY believe? Maybe like Elijah? Maybe like Peter? If so, tell me, BW, how much testing do you have to go through to know if you REALLY believe? One test? Three? Ten? Three hundred? How severe do these tests have to be? What about the person who believes for the first time. He is a babe in Christ. He has yet to suffer any testing. Can he know he has truly believed, then? If not, then how can he know he has everlasting life? But if he cannot know he has everlasting life, then how can he claim to believe the Gospel? But if claims to know he has everlasting life because Jesus promised it to all who believes, then how can you say he has not truly believed? Has he only believed to he believed but instead deceived himself? If men can deceive themselves into only THINKING that they believe, then how do YOU know that YOU believe? How do YOU know that YOU have not deceived yourself?

Such is that logical outcome of your theology. No assurance of salvation, which means no faith at all, sense faith IS assurance.

Now, I respectfully ask you, a fellow believer and as a moderator of this board, to either properly interact with my position and stop attributing to me ideas that I do not hold or to politely bow out of the discussion. Second, I respectfully ask you, a fellow believer and moderator of this board, to supply Scripture that backs up your position. I have repeatedly asked for a SINGLE verse that guarantees that our faith will be preserved. I am NOT asking for a verse guaranteeing that eternal life will be preserved. I am not asking for a verse that says God will chastise those who fall away (although, I wonder how any could fall away in your view?). I am asking for a verse that says that my faith is secure by God's divine guarantee.

God bless
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Ah well, my appointment was canceled, so I figured I'd spend the rest of my night on G&S. Here's a response to the rest of your post. Since you made a big deal about the Greek, I examined Ephesians from that perspective.

God bless
Ephesians 2:8-10 has been so often misquoted by just quoting verse 8-9 and ignoring verse 10 that what the Greek text is clearly stating is missed in exchange for the wisdom of men and not the power of God. The Greek word Dia used between saved and faith means through — not just moving through something from head to tail and out the other end as in classical Greek but rather to 'move through with an intended effect.' It is used to tie in verse 10 as that is the intended effect of God's grace which brings salvation.
May I ask for your reference on this? I have the TDNT here on my lap (II.65-70). δια (dia) in Eph 2:8 is used with the genitive πιστεως (pisteos). I have five meanings listed as possible:
  • 1. Spatial: "through"
    2. Temporal: a. of the whole duration of a period of time ("through"); b. of part of a period of time ("during"); c. of distance in time ("after")
    3. Modal: a. of manner ("through, in, with"); b. of accompanying circumstance ("with, among")
    4. Instrumental: a. with gen. of cause ("by means of, with, through"); b. with gen. of person ("through the mediation of")
    5. Causal: a. of the cause ("in consequence of, on the basis of, on account of"); b. of the author ("from, for the sake of")
Now, of these five uses, this should best be considered a Modal of Manner. A corresponding example of this same usage is Luke 8:4, which the NASB renders, "When a large crowd was coming together, and those from the various cities were journeying to Him, He spoke by way of a parable ("δια παραβολης," dia paraboles)." A rough word for word rendering of the last cause would be, "he spoke to them through a parable." Notice that "through" here conveys the means by which the teaching came. Whether or not change was intended is fairly beside the point. The idea certainly isn't contained in the word itself, as I see it, anyway. I'm sure that Jesus did want to see change, but we get that from context and common sense, not from grammar.

What we do get from grammar is a very precise picture of what went on in Luke 8. Jesus had a point to get across. The means by which He got it across was a parable. That was the channel or tool He chose to employ. The same usage applies in Eph 2:8. Grace is the instrument of salvation. It is applied through our faith. That is, our faith is the channel or tool by which grace is applied to our lives.

Secondly, let's take the Greek grammar a little deeper here:

τη γαρ χαριτι εστε σεσωσμενοι δια πιστεως (te gar charati este sesosmenoi dia pisteos)

Look at the part in bold (este sesosmenoi[/i]. That is what we call a paraphrastic construction. Sesosmenoi is a perfect passive participle. This has caused many translators to render this "you have been saved." But that actually misses, in my opinion, the underlying idea Paul has in mind. In this case, the KJV has it right with the rendering "ye are saved." The emphasis is on the results of the past event (salvation), so that the totality and even finality of salvation is in view. This does not change nor ignore the fact that salvation is a past, completed event that cannot be altered. Paul, however, has much more in mind then simply saying, "You have fire insurance." He is pointing to their entire life, and saying the salvation they have experienced and are experiencing is through their faith. It is always through faith, BW. That is, AGAIN, why I say that faith is important. Can it be lost? Yup, and that would be terrible! Why would it be terrible? They would not lose their salvation, but they would most certainly lose their enjoyment of the blessings that come with living a life of salvation. They would fall under the wrath of the apostate. That, my friend, is a terrible thing.

So, again, I would like to see a reference to your previous statement about the difference in usage in classical vs. koine Greek. You could be right, but I don't see it in the TDNT, nor in the NIDNTT. I also don't see how the word is used to connect to verse 10, which beings with γαρ ("gar"), which is an explanatory word. You'll have to provide me with something a lot more detailed than a simple assertion that dia means to "move through with an intended effect" and connects to verse 10. Where are you getting your information from?
In Ephesians 2:4-5 it states that Grace of God involves his great love. This is a common element of Grace and faith — returning to the theme of God's love.
First, I've never denied that God is gracious because He loves us. I sincerely hope you don't think I separate the two! :P Second, your brief statement here is too vague. The verse does NOT say that the grace of God "involves" His great love. It says, "But because of his great love . . ." That is a lot more than mere involvement, BW. It says that God's love is the cause of His grace. It is His grace that saves, and He saves us because He loves us.
Note that Faith works by love in Galatians 5:6.
Here, Paul is talking to saved people about their lifestyles. The faith under discussion is not the faith that saves, but the faith that is opposed to the Law. Faith is manifested through love, or put differently, it is by love the faith reveals itself. Bear in mind that the Galatians had fallen to false doctrine. They had, if you want to be technical, lost their faith, for they had started believing a different "gospel." Beginning by the Spirit, they were trying to complete their Christians walks by following the Law. Paul therefore exhorts them to throw off the yoke of the Law, which is fleshly, and live under Grace, which is spiritual. Thus, they were to live by faith and not by Law. Does this mean that they were not saved if they continued to try to live under the Law? Of course not! But it means that they would not be living by faith, which in turn would mean that they could not manifest love for one another. That would result in the list of vices we find later in the chapter.
Also realize that the ancient Hebrew idea about grace is summed up as 'loving-kindness' and Paul himself knew all about this from his historical background and training. He would have known and discussed Psalms 107 due to his educational background.
I have no problem with the idea of loving-kindness. What would make you think I do? Do you really believe that if we don't love people, then we are going to Hell? God's grace to us is based on HIS loving-kindness. That has no bearing on our behavior, BW.
Note that it does not say in John 3:16, “for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that you can lose your faith in Him,” but rather, “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.” NKJV --WILL NOT PERISH means what Jac? - Do yu have Faith in this? If will not perish - how can you lose it? The gifts and callings of God are what?
You have got to be kidding me. So you believe that if we lose our faith then we will go to Hell? The text doesn't say that. It says just the opposite. It says that if we believe--it says that EVERYONE who believes--then we will NOT perish. Ever. That means that if I believe and later stop believing, then I will NOT perish. You ask me if I believe that. How many times have I said that I believe we cannot lose our salvation? It is you who should be answering the question, not me. You seem to believe that if a person loses their faith then they will perish. Of course, you profess to believe in the doctrine of eternal security, so you have to fall back on the idea that "such people never really believed in the first place."

Of course . . . John 3:16 doesn't say that. I can't find a single verse that says that, actually. Which goes back to what I have been asking for throughout this entire thread. Show me ONE verse that says if you stop believing then you never believed in the first place. It should be really, really easy. Just show me chapter and verse. In the meantime, John 3:16 supports my belief. If I believe, then I will NEVER perish, even if I stop believing.
From Ephesians 2:4-5 this theme leads to verses 8 and 9 and uncovers the intended effect such grace has on faith in verse 10 as God making us his masterpiece [Eph 2: 22] created shaped in/by Christ Jesus for a new vocation of good virtues. These good virtues are described later in Eph 3:16-17 which ties masterpiece — Christ in you - back to theme of love. The vocation of good virtues is later described by Paul in Eph 4:21-31. Again Eph 5:1-2, 8-17 returns us back to what the masterpiece we are being shaped into is as well as what the vocation of good virtue we are to now walk consist of.
Again, I have never denied that Jesus is working on us to conform is, even in this life, into His own image. That is called progressive sanctification.

Stop a second, BW. I want you stop and just read me closely for one second. Do you really believe that I reject the notion of progressive sanctification? Do you REALLY believe that I don't know what progressive sanctification is or that I don't believe in it? If we had never had this conversation, and someone had asked if you if you knew whether or not I believed in progressive sanctification, what would you have said? You, and everyone on this board, knows I hold the idea in very high regard. Now - BW - if your interpretation of me causes you to read me as if I don't believe in this very fundamental doctrine, don't you think it is likely that you are misreading me? Don't you think it is likely that you are misunderstanding me?

Yes, God is at work in us. He loves us. That is why He works on us. Does that guarantee our perseverance? No. Does that guarantee that our faith will always be with us? No.
Note: A word for word English translation from Greek text misses much of the Greek and a person will have too add a few words to uncover the richness of the Greek text into English — This is what I attempted to do as well as line it up with the pattern clearly written later in Paul's letter in this personal translation below of Eph 2:8-10.

Eph 2:8-10, “God's grace which brings salvation 'to move through with an intended effect on' faith [trust God alone] this is God's gift, so you will not trust yourself and in your own works: Him! Will be busy fashioning you into his masterpiece created in Christ Jesus for a vocation of good virtues which God prepared beforehand [predestined] that you will live by these.”
What is your basis for this translation? Where did you get this from? It looks like you took some interlinear and copy/pasted and then added a few words from the Amplified Bible? Anyway, I won't bother critiquing it, because I don't see how it is very relevant to our conversation.
The intended effect of Grace/salvation is to — change - faith to be in God alone and not in ourselves or in our own works.
This is very wrong. You have this exactly backwards, BW. Salvation doesn't move our faith from ourselves to God (unless you are a Calvinist who believes regeneration precedes faith!). It is when we move our faith from whatever it is in to God that we are saved. How could you get such a backwards idea out of Eph 2:8-10? I really need to see you explain that.
God is busy fashioning us into His masterpiece created in/by Christ Jesus for a life's vocation of good virtues, transforming us into a good nature, and excellent character, which God prepared beforehand [predestined] that we will live by these. This is God's gift least anyone should boast.
Again, I have no disagreement with this. It's just progressive sanctification. What would make you think I did?
Faith in self will be removed and faith in God alone cemented in such manner you cannot lose it. That is his gift of love — to change our and your faith to rest in God — his Grace through faith.
Again, you have this completely backwards.

I think I see what you have done. I think I finally see the root of your problem. You are confusing progressive sanctification with positional sanctification. Ok, let me walk you through this.

I agree that it is by God's grace, that is, it is His gift, that we are progressively sanctified and made more like Him. And grace, even in the progressive sense, is always through faith. I harshly repudiate works based sanctification. In fact, that is the very thing that Paul was so angry about with the Galatians. They had abandoned a grace based sanctification for a works based one.

I also believe that it is by God's grace, that is, it is His gift, that we are positionally sanctified. That grace is also through faith. These two sanctifications, though, are far from the same thing. God does progressively sanctify me so that I might be positionally sanctified. That is Roman Catholic theology (and it is one of my arguments with K - it appears to be dangerously close to what he believes). That idea is infused righteousness rather than imputed righteousness.

Now--please read me carefully here, because this is important--while there ARE two kinds of sanctification, there are NOT to kinds of faith. Let me repeat that: while there ARE two kinds of sanctification, there are NOT to kinds of faith. Faith is simply trusting in God's promises. That's all. So when I believe God's promise about Jesus Christ, then I am POSITIONALLY sanctified. I can NEVER lose that, even if I stop believing. I now enter into the discipleship process. It is through that SAME faith that God begins to sanctify me. It is not through my works, but through my faith, that I am sanctified. He begins to conform me into the image of His Son, but there is absolutely nothing that says that I cannot lose that faith. The channel can be broken, the ties severed. While progressive sanctification stops, I am STILL positionally sanctified.

What you have done is to miss that distinction, apparently. You have argued that because I am to be progressively sanctified, and somewhere along the lines you have accepted the idea that progressive sanctification will always be completed, God therefore removes my faith in myself over time and gradually places more and more faith in Himself. But the problem with this is that it is backwards. It makes justification a result of sanctification.

You absolutely must recognize that if a person has ANY trust in themselves with regard to their salvation, then they do NOT believe the Gospel. That is why if you believe that confession, repentance, baptism, perseverance (by your own power, i.e., Arminianism), good works, etc. are necessary for salvation, then you do NOT believe the Gospel and instead are promoting a works-based salvation. That is what Galatians is all about. We are saved when we believe what God said about Jesus Christ, that He is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing we have life in His name!
What is the greatest commandment? What was God's desire for his people mentioned in Deuteronomy? God's love is a gift — it is grace that transforms faith and this you will not lose. Grace transforms faith.
Progressively, grace transforms faith. Positionally, it does no such thing. Did you catch that? Positionally, grace does NOT transform faith. You either believe God told the truth about Jesus Christ or you do NOT. There is no middle ground here on which faith can be transformed. Do you REALLY believe that if I don't love my neighbor or love God then I am going to Hell?
That is how I read the Greek text in Ephesians and it lines up with what the rest of the bible says on this matter way too numerous to quote here.
You'll have to do me the favor of quoting some of those numerous texts, because I don't see a single text anywhere in Scripture that guarantees the success of progressive sanctification, that guarantees the continuance of our faith, or anything even remotely similar to it. Further, you'll have to explain how you can read the Greek text in Ephesians that way, because you certainly aren't getting that from the grammar.
Jac, I hope you are not denying this just to placate your wisdom as superior for the sake of simple argument just to be right at all cost — your faith should be in the Lord and not in the wisdom of men. Even you recognize that God will not let you become apathetic. If this is so — how is your faith in God regarding this? Can you lose that?
I'll try not to take this as a personal insult. My faith is not in the wisdom of men. I believe what God said about His Son Jesus Christ, that everyone who believes in Him has everlasting life. Further, i have never said that God will not let me become apathetic. Again, I'll have to ask you to quote me on that. There is NO guarantee that we will not meet such a fate. What I said was that the Gospel has spurred me out of my apathy. Can I lose my sense of urgency and my love for God and Gospel? Yes. Absolutely. Can I fall into apathy? I am certainly not above it. can I lose my faith? Yes. I can.
I never dared nor implied that the glorious grace of God to save those who believe His testimony concerning His Son leads to apathy in fact it is you that implied this, not me. I simply responded to what you said on this matter and commented that easy believism leads to apathy. If you read further — God will not leave his people in that state as he will go after them, calling them to return to him.
Notice the part I put in bold, BW. What you call "easy believism" I call the Gospel. You ARE claiming, then, as I see it, that the Gospel leads to apathy. It is a serious thing to reject the Gospel as presented by God, BW . . . if nothing else, this conversation is certainly showing the importance of this doctrine.

And, as an aside, as I repeatedly pointed out previously, I have never argued that God will leave his people in a state of disbelief. If you can't produce a statement from me in which I did, I absolutely demand a retraction and apology.
This is something the unchanging God has done for centuries for his people — call to repent and return to him. I have been saying all along that you cannot lose this kind of faith that is precious to God as he will apply what ever means necessary to restore faith in Him within own His people to love him.
Yes, God calls people to repent and (re)turn to Him. Is that to be justified? No. It is not. Repentance is not a condition of salvation. Now, your problem here is that you believe that all people who have "really believed" (whatever that means) will by necessity respond to that call to repent.

BW - on what basis to you assert that every true believer will yield to the call to repentance?
The above was written before your response and now I write in response to your comment regarding Luke 8:13. I will answer with:
2 John 9-10
2 John 9-10 is about fellowship. It has nothing to do with whether or not a person who does or does not continue in the faith is saved.
There are only two kinds of people Jac and please do not take Luke 8:13 out of context as you have done.
I already talked about this previously. It's up to you to show me where I took this out of context.
God separates two kinds of people — those that are his and those that are not. Those that are his will never fall away. That is the test.
Show me where Scripture says that those who are His never fall away? Jesus says that many will believe and will fall away.
Yes Jac, we both agree here Faith is NOT important in the sense of maintaining salvation (2 Tim 2:13), which is exactly what this thread is about; however; faith is important in that you will not lose your faith in God who gives grace, for to do so God would be dening his great love towards those that believe in him.
Funny you mention 2 Tim 2:13, because it says that when we are faithless, He is still faithful. But, BW, if we cannot lose our faith, then how can be we be faithless? Now, where in Scripture does the Bible guarantee our continued faith?
It is good to hear of your great faith in God's grace — at least you admit to that so therefore faith has some importance to you to move you to an unshakable foundation.
I don't have "great faith." I just believe what God said about Jesus is true. I can't see myself ever changing my mind on that, but I don't know the future. That's why I stay in the Word and in church and around believers. I am not above falling away. Therefore, " . . . I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."