The Sabbath, to keep or not to keep....

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Sabbath, to keep or not to keep....

Post by jlay »

Just what exactly did I ignore about verse 9?

You managed to reply without addressing anything.
So how was it EVER glorious??
What do you not understand about, "has no glory NOW." When is the NOW Paul speaks of?
That God dealt with sinful mankind is glorious, period. That He chose a people group to covenant with was glorious. But God is no longer dealing with mankind in that way. Yet you insist that keeping some altered (because you aren't keeping it how it was told to be kept) version of the Sabbath is required,..... or prefered, and that we should insert the SDA version of Sabbath everywhere in the scriptures it says, "command."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

jlay wrote:Just what exactly did I ignore about verse 9?

You managed to reply without addressing anything.
So how was it EVER glorious??
What do you not understand about, "has no glory NOW." When is the NOW Paul speaks of?
That God dealt with sinful mankind is glorious, period. That He chose a people group to covenant with was glorious. But God is no longer dealing with mankind in that way. Yet you insist that keeping some altered (because you aren't keeping it how it was told to be kept) version of the Sabbath is required,..... or prefered, and that we should insert the SDA version of Sabbath everywhere in the scriptures it says, "command."
Firstly, you ignore that it ( the 10 ) is a ministry of death ONLY to sinners. It is a ministry of Righteousness to those that live by the Spirit...which I assume you agree that "we" are...those saved by grace through faith. So where the sinful nature cannot submit, the Spiritual nature does.

Those saved by grace live according to what nature??
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Firstly, you ignore that it ( the 10 ) is a ministry of death ONLY to sinners.
According to whom?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

jlay wrote:
Firstly, you ignore that it ( the 10 ) is a ministry of death ONLY to sinners.
According to whom?
Logic.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

:lol:

Eureka
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Eureka »

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm writing from my phone, so I will need to do a bit of navigating if I'm going to successfully refer to quotes or include links...please bear with me.

I've been struggling with the Christian faith for the last few years, so I don't expect that I will begin observing the Sabbath anywhere in the near future. I will say, however, that through the many years that I did belong to the church, I NEVER heard anyone argue that the Ten Commandments do not apply to Christians. I understand that Christ has paid the wages of sin for His followers such that salvation and eternal life can be achieved by faith alone, but I believe that Christ was quite clear that it is still important that we try to obey the Word of God in our works. I haven't seen any solid evidence throughout this thread that God retracted the command to spend one day each week focusing solely on God's greatness without distraction from other work.

I don't agree that observance of the Sabbath can be grouped with ceremonial law ( e.g. Circumcision) or with laws about sacrifices/acts of redemption, because it does not seem like it was a cultural institution and it doesn't seem like it was related to earning forgiveness. It seems that God commanded observance of the Sabbath because He insists on receiving the full attention of those who are worshipping him. Not out-of-date/out-of-place, and not made irrelevant by the coming of Christ.

I will try to do some of my own research to understand the argument that the 10 Commandments don't apply to Christians--that is a very new idea to me.

Quoted earlier in his thread, I believe Romans 21-31 is pretty important in consideration of this issue. 31) "Do we then nullify the Law through faith? On the contrary! We establish the Law!"

Be back soon. Thanks again for responding!

E
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Eureka wrote:Thanks for getting back to me! I'm writing from my phone, so I will need to do a bit of navigating if I'm going to successfully refer to quotes or include links...please bear with me.

I've been struggling with the Christian faith for the last few years, so I don't expect that I will begin observing the Sabbath anywhere in the near future. I will say, however, that through the many years that I did belong to the church, I NEVER heard anyone argue that the Ten Commandments do not apply to Christians. I understand that Christ has paid the wages of sin for His followers such that salvation and eternal life can be achieved by faith alone, but I believe that Christ was quite clear that it is still important that we try to obey the Word of God in our works. I haven't seen any solid evidence throughout this thread that God retracted the command to spend one day each week focusing solely on God's greatness without distraction from other work.

I don't agree that observance of the Sabbath can be grouped with ceremonial law ( e.g. Circumcision) or with laws about sacrifices/acts of redemption, because it does not seem like it was a cultural institution and it doesn't seem like it was related to earning forgiveness. It seems that God commanded observance of the Sabbath because He insists on receiving the full attention of those who are worshipping him. Not out-of-date/out-of-place, and not made irrelevant by the coming of Christ.

I will try to do some of my own research to understand the argument that the 10 Commandments don't apply to Christians--that is a very new idea to me.

Quoted earlier in his thread, I believe Romans 21-31 is pretty important in consideration of this issue. 31) "Do we then nullify the Law through faith? On the contrary! We establish the Law!"

Be back soon. Thanks again for responding!

E
Well said. The 10 are set apart by God as separate.
The Law is two commands in 10. Love God ( 1-4 ) and Love your neighbor ( 5-10 )
Matthew 22:34-40 NIV wrote:Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
Jesus replied: " `Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'* This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: `Love your neighbor as yourself.'* All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
None of which is kept for salvation but rather because of salvation.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Which of the 10 commandments says "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind" ?
Which of the 10 commandments commands to "Love your neighbour" ?
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

PaulSacramento wrote:Which of the 10 commandments says "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind" ?
There's only 10...I didn't think it was that difficult to decifer.

Commandments 1-4 dictate how to interact with/worship God. I think we all agree that God doesn't force worship, therefore to worship God is to love God.

Commandments 5-10 dictate human interactions. I think we all agree that murder, stealing, lying, dishonoring parents, coveting and adultery...are all forms of showing no love for others, therefore to not murder, to not steal, to not lie, to honor parents to not commit adultery and to not covet is to love your neighbor.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I am only sad and dis-appointed at the level of insistence you are putting up to legalize Sabbath. I clearly showed you that Paul even referred the 10th commandment as law and clearly said that it was done with. You are implying something which is not even present in the text because you think it means something, a certain way. This is just plain, intellectually dishonest on your part as you also insist on your supposed "Logic" with which you also refuse to accept the most obvious outcome of the text. Contradiction IMO.

Jesus broke the Sabbath, you wanna keep it? You want to obey out of love something which isn't even asked of you or required of you. This is a yoke, I am sure you do not view it as such, but it is a yoke nonetheless. I have no doubt that you are passionate about God and I also do not doubt when you you say you do it out of love but Bav, in the end, you can not prove your point from the text because it clearly negates it. You can of course carry out your personal opinion of the text as you see fit but mind you, it is not aligned with the scripture with the accuracy you claim it has. You can point out rightly that this can be said of any view (mine included and others here) but it also doesn't mean that there is no true interpretation of the text either. Just plain direct interpretation refutes your argument more than enough.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote:
I am only sad and dis-appointed at the level of insistence you are putting up to legalize Sabbath. I clearly showed you that Paul even referred the 10th commandment as law and clearly said that it was done with. You are implying something which is not even present in the text because you think it means something, a certain way. This is just plain, intellectually dishonest on your part as you also insist on your supposed "Logic" with which you also refuse to accept the most obvious outcome of the text. Contradiction IMO.

Jesus broke the Sabbath, you wanna keep it? You want to obey out of love something which isn't even asked of you or required of you. This is a yoke, I am sure you do not view it as such, but it is a yoke nonetheless. I have no doubt that you are passionate about God and I also do not doubt when you you say you do it out of love but Bav, in the end, you can not prove your point from the text because it clearly negates it. You can of course carry out your personal opinion of the text as you see fit but mind you, it is not aligned with the scripture with the accuracy you claim it has. You can point out rightly that this can be said of any view (mine included and others here) but it also doesn't mean that there is no true interpretation of the text either. Just plain direct interpretation refutes your argument more than enough.
I'm not trying to legalize the Sabbath. It's never been illegal to keep the Sabbath.

Wow! If Jesus broke the Sabbath commandment, then Jesus is not the Messiah...plain and simple.

What Jesus broke was the manner in which MAN had decided to keep the Sabbath which was the yoke of burden..."the traditions of men".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

BavarianWheels wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Which of the 10 commandments says "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind" ?
There's only 10...I didn't think it was that difficult to decifer.

Commandments 1-4 dictate how to interact with/worship God. I think we all agree that God doesn't force worship, therefore to worship God is to love God.

Commandments 5-10 dictate human interactions. I think we all agree that murder, stealing, lying, dishonoring parents, coveting and adultery...are all forms of showing no love for others, therefore to not murder, to not steal, to not lie, to honor parents to not commit adultery and to not covet is to love your neighbor.
Ah, so you interpret that commandments 1-4 state to love God.
And you interpret 5-10 as "love they neighbour" because it says to NOT do anything bad to him.
Fair enough.
I have always been one for interpreting scripture :D

Of course a LITERALISTIC view of the 10 commandments doesn't tell us to do anything of that sort.
It doesn't command to love God, but tells us to worship God and have no other gods before God or we will be punished:
“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Now, it does state that God will show mercy to those that Love Him and keep his commandments, BUT that is NOT a commandment to LOVE Him.
Seems like Jesus was interpreting the Commandment HIS way and Putting HIS "mark" on it.
Which I agree of course.

But the sabbath gets a bit tricky:

exodus:
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:
in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son,
nor thy daughter, thy manservant,
nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle,
nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:
wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Deutronomy:
Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

See, it doesn't say WHICH day to keep as the Sabbath, just that one can work 6 BUT on the 7th say, NO ONE is to work.
It doesn't specify a DAY at all.

But the real issue, as we know, is whether the OLD Covenant Law is applicable to Gentiles and Non-jews under the NEW covenant.
So, what did the Jeruslem church decide?
ACTS 15:22-29
or:
The Council at Jerusalem

15 Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 And when Paul and Barnabas had [a]great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. 3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. 4 When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”

6 The apostles and the elders came together to look into this [c]matter. 7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that [d]in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; 9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”

12 All the people kept silent, and they were listening to Barnabas and Paul as they were relating what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.
James’s Judgment

13 After they had stopped speaking, [e] James answered, saying, “Brethren, listen to me. 14 Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name. 15 With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,

16 ‘ After these things I will return,

And I will rebuild the [f]tabernacle of David which has fallen,

And I will rebuild its ruins,

And I will restore it,

17 So that the rest of [g]mankind may seek the Lord,

And all the Gentiles [h] who are called by My name,’

18 Says the Lord, who makes these things known from long ago.

19 Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from [j] things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. 21 For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since [k]he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas—Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, 23 and they [l]sent this letter by them,

“ The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.

24 “Since we have heard that some [m]of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, 25 it seemed good to us, having [n]become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have [o] risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 “Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 “For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials: 29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; [p]if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

No mention of Sabbath at all.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

the manner in which MAN had decided to keep the Sabbath which was the yoke of burden..."the traditions of men".
Aren't you doing the same?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

neo-x wrote:
the manner in which MAN had decided to keep the Sabbath which was the yoke of burden..."the traditions of men".
Aren't you doing the same?
Where have I told you HOW to keep the Sabbath? If anything, follow Christ's example(s).
Eureka
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Eureka »

PaulSacramento wrote: 27 “Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 “For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials: 29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; [p]if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

No mention of Sabbath at all.
Do you believe that this letter is meant to be an EXHAUSTIVE summary of Christ's commands?

Also, can anyone explain to me "things strangled" means?

Thanks,

E
"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."