Which one is right

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Which one is right

Post by UsagiTsukino »

NT does talk about back sliding. How does a Christan lose their faith and salvation
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:NT does talk about back sliding. How does a Christan lose their faith and salvation
They don't.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

UsagiTsukino wrote:NT does talk about back sliding. How does a Christan lose their faith and salvation
Hebrews passage aside, I think the issue may be to what DEGREE can a Christian lose their faith.
Salvation is up to God so it can be argued that a Christian, if God so decides, can never lose their salvation.
That said, we are all free to reject Christ, so...
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Hebrews passage aside, I think the issue may be to what DEGREE can a Christian lose their faith.
Salvation is up to God so it can be argued that a Christian, if God so decides, can never lose their salvation.
I think this is why man reject eternal security because they think Christians can sin and be saved. They can do whatever they want and still be saved.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
I think this is why man reject eternal security because they think Christians can sin and be saved. They can do whatever they want and still be saved.
Many could reject eternal security because they just can't get past the idea that they think they have to do something, or perform a certain way, to keep salvation.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
UsagiTsukino wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Many could reject eternal security because they just can't get past the idea that they think they have to do something, or perform a certain way, to keep salvation.
It is a human trait that we believe that we can't get something for nothing.
We tend to place greater value on things that take more effort to get, than those given freely to Us.
We are a race of "selfs", we are so focused on what "I" must do for this and that, that we disregard or devalue what others do for Us.
Salvation is no different.
We understand "self-salvation" - If I do this and act this way I will be saved- but that is salvation based on self interest.
God's grace and love are other centered, His offer of salvation is based on what HE does for Us and many people do NOT like it because it means that it isn't about THEM but about HIM.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I really tire of the, "are you saying that a believer can do whatever they want and not lose their salvation?"

Let me tell you straight up, you, me, everybody, already do EXACTLY what we want to do. When you find a person that is not doing exactly what they want to do, let me know.
It you want to be a legalistic, fundie, and tell everyone they are going to Hell for not subscribing to your religion, then that is exactly what you will do. If you want to live in reckless rebellion to God's will, then that is exactly what you will do. If you want to rest in the unconditional assurance of your salvation and allow Christ to transform you through the renewing of your mind, then this is exactly what you will do.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:I really tire of the, "are you saying that a believer can do whatever they want and not lose their salvation?"

Let me tell you straight up, you, me, everybody, already do EXACTLY what we want to do. When you find a person that is not doing exactly what they want to do, let me know.
It you want to be a legalistic, fundie, and tell everyone they are going to Hell for not subscribing to your religion, then that is exactly what you will do. If you want to live in reckless rebellion to God's will, then that is exactly what you will do. If you want to rest in the unconditional assurance of your salvation and allow Christ to transform you through the renewing of your mind, then this is exactly what you will do.
I never really thought about it that way, but you're right!

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I want to apologize for my recent outburst. Sometimes enough is enough and things get to you. Time to move on… So I ask for forgiveness for my outburst. Sometimes things get to you.

Jlay so eloquently expresses what I was attempting to get at:
jlay wrote:I really tire of the, "are you saying that a believer can do whatever they want and not lose their salvation?"

Thank God.

What is so frustrating is never going beyond the same old tiring talking points on this matter and that was one reason I became frustrated with this debate. People assume if you say anything about works you are some sort of legalist and respond in that matter. So with that, I am thankful Jlay broke through this mind trap. I do not think I will respond to this thread after this as Jlay speaks volumes and there is no need. Blessings and sorry for offending folks…

P.S. I deleted the offending post...

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Domenic
Established Member

Post by Domenic »

Philip wrote:Jac, B.W., so glad you guys weighed in on this - it's absolutely amazing how often the belief that one can lose their salvation comes up. And it both scares, worries and takes away the confidence of so many believers. And it plays right into the devil's hands - as he wants us to doubt our salvation and eternal security. He wants us to pay more attention to our feelings than we do to what God's word tells us about this. And so often, our feelings are all over the map. So, one not feeling as spiritual one week, may worry what that might mean. Alas, WHOSE salvation was it to begin with - certainly not ours - we're, as previously poor beggars, merely the beneficiaries of a magnificent and eternal inheritance, given by grace, through faith!
People should take care if they are serving Father for any reward. Father created us to serve him. It should fill our hearts to serve him even if he said, "I will not give you life." Just to know, and serve him for a short time should fill your heart with joy.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So if a christan sins than what?
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

UsagiTsukino wrote:So if a christan sins than what?
He is a Christian, he believes in Jesus. He is saved. Normally, he should not be happy about his sinning.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Okay because I have a guy friend that's very devout and is angry with himself. He is addicted to watching adult stuff but doesn't want to and because of that he thinks he going to hell. He repents but than gets angry because he winds up doing it again and doesn't want to live like that. He doesn't do what to . He truly thinks Going to hell.

I pray for him all the time
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Will I go to hell? I'm so confused on what positions that I feel I'm a failure to god for not loving up I will not lie I have sin and I feel god maybe have cut me off. It's not like I don't feel bad but you know .
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

UsagiTsukino wrote:Will I go to hell? I'm so confused on what positions that I feel I'm a failure to god for not loving up I will not lie I have sin and I feel god maybe have cut me off. It's not like I don't feel bad but you know .
If you feel that you are a failure, then I think that you in fact feel bad about it.

Do you believe in Jesus? That he died for you, and that he is your Savior?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart