Most/Least Powerful Arguments for God

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Most/Least Powerful Arguments for God

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:One of the biggest issues we have is when we try to FORCE an explanation.
I agree.
PaulSacramento wrote:Occam's razor.

Is it more logical to think that something acted upon something else so as to cause it to change or that what had always been that way, suddenly stopped being that way and changed?
Kennys Razor
It is better to admit you don't have an answer when you don't. Far more damage has been done from a wrong answer than no answer at all.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:Audie,
Jac asked you to reply to this you posted:
If you assume the premises of cosmo, which I dont, the logical is no doubt unassailable.
You posted that you do NOT assume the premises of the cosmological argument.
He asked you which premises.
You evade that question and, to be honest, as moderator here I am starting to get a little tired of this happening and not just with you ( Daniel is another).
As moderator, I ask you to reply to Jac and to state, plainly, what premises you do not assume.
There are a couple of things I dont do.

I dont evade.

I dont respond favourably to bullying, especially by men. Asking "as a mod" is what it is.

Krink asked for a "best" argument. I said cosmo (s) aint it.
Asked why, I said I dont accept premises.
Asked what are the premises, I thought cosmos knew
their premises, I didnt write them out.

Somewhat pressed for time, I did not feel like transcribing.
You want me to list premises that you know by heart? Why?
If I identify one, am I then to justify it, playing in your court?

If that is the game, I decline to play.

By now it would have been faster to cut n paste, but I still not going to do it.

Here is a concept unstated, to my knowledge, in any version of cosmo:

That human beings have the capacity to use logic to arrive
at meaningful conclusions about the most basic nature of reality.

I dont accept that.

Logic needs material to work with. Cosmos like conclusions
involving or working with time, as if they knew what time is.

Are you guys working from a belief that you know enough about the
true nature of time to be coming up with proofs concerning the nature of reality,
using logic spun off from that belief?

I dont accept that either.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Audie did you not know you used evasive statements in your post?

:wave:
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:Audie did you not know you used evasive statements in your post?

Prease exprain
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Audie wrote:Asked why, I said I dont accept premises.

I'd ask you not to make such assumptions about me. You should know all about that. You said you didn't accept the premises. My assumption was that there are some that you accept (e.g., that some things are in motion) and some that you don't. I don't know what those assumptions you don't accept are, so I asked.

I had no interest in pressing the matter with you. I might have wanted to know why you rejected or didn't assume any particular premise, but the idea of debating the CA with you is about as interesting to me as giving a crocodile a root canal. But as someone who is interested in the CA and how it is perceived by those who haven't studied it, I was (again, emphasizing was) interested in your perception of it.

It's the same reason I read news from liberal media outlets that I tend to disagree with. I want to know their perspective. I was curious in yours. And you couldn't even provide that. Instead, you ask if I'm going to ask you to justify it and play in "my" court.

Get over yourself. For someone who doesn't take too kindly to bullying, you do a lot of it yourself. And it's frankly depressing, because you show the sparks of intellectual honesty, and I feel like I could actually learn something from discussing these things with you. And then you go pull stunts like this. It's disheartening and shameful. I may as well waste my time arguing with ACB.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Jac3510 wrote:

I'd ask you not to make such assumptions about me. You should know all about that. You said you didn't accept the premises. My assumption was that there are some that you accept (e.g., that some things are in motion) and some that you don't. I don't know what those assumptions you don't accept are, so I asked.

I had no interest in pressing the matter with you. I might have wanted to know why you rejected or didn't assume any particular premise, but the idea of debating the CA with you is about as interesting to me as giving a crocodile a root canal. But as someone who is interested in the CA and how it is perceived by those who haven't studied it, I was (again, emphasizing was) interested in your perception of it.

It's the same reason I read news from liberal media outlets that I tend to disagree with. I want to know their perspective. I was curious in yours. And you couldn't even provide that. Instead, you ask if I'm going to ask you to justify it and play in "my" court.

Get over yourself. For someone who doesn't take too kindly to bullying, you do a lot of it yourself. And it's frankly depressing, because you show the sparks of intellectual honesty, and I feel like I could actually learn something from discussing these things with you. And then you go pull stunts like this. It's disheartening and shameful. I may as well waste my time arguing with ACB.
Asking a q is making an assumption?

But never mind. I've said I dont care to discuss cosmo. I have read thru various articles and arguments for and against. I was not impressed, as for debating it, I choose to let who will be clever.

Now, with regard to sparks of intellectual honesty, and that which is disheartening and shameful.
We seem to see eachother in roughly the same way.

You clearly are a studious sort; I am impressed with your knowledge of ancient Hebrew for one.
Obviously philosophy, a love of truth and reason is there.

The following is neither an attack nor an attempt to win debate points:

You love truth and reason-
So what is it that causes this to all break down when it comes to yec?

It is just impossible to be an informed an honest yec.

Now, I am not well informed on CA. Possibly I should be. You are not well informed on
those things that demonstrate that yec is untenable, nothing but what Einstein referred to
as a childish superstition. Possibly you should look into being better informed. "Getting over yourself"
would be a excellent first step.

Yec has a tendency to make Christians a laughing stock. As kid in
Hong Kong, I thought Christianity was the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Later, I met intellectual Christians and realized they were not all like that.

It is dismaying to see an intellectual Christian who is a yec. I dont know how they do it, unless it is
willful cognitive dissonance. Whatever the case, it is shameful, to borrow your word.

As long as you keep up the yeccery, nothing about your other logic escapes the taint.

I really am curious about this. If anything is central to my current interest in
this forum it is wanting to understand the workings of the mind that could accept yec on any basis but
blind faith
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Audie wrote:

Prease explain
Audie, Jac provided the explanation....
Jac3510 wrote:

Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

What's good for the gander, is good for the goose.
As long as you keep up the yeccery atheism, nothing about your other logic escapes the taint.

I really am curious about this. If anything is central to my current interest in
this forum it is wanting to understand the workings of the mind that could accept yec atheism on any basis but blind faith
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:What's good for the gander, is good for the goose.
As long as you keep up the yeccery atheism, nothing about your other logic escapes the taint.

this forum it is wanting to understand the workings of the mind that could accept yec atheism on any basis but blind faith
I diagnose false equivilitis.

Both you and jac (2 wrongs) being wrong makes not a right.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:

Prease explain
Audie, Jac provided the explanation....
Jac3510 wrote:

You'd have to show this poor esl student wherein my response matches anything in the dictionary about "evasion".
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I'd reject the theory of evolution even if I was an atheist based on a lack of logic,reason,evidence and that you must have blind faith.I already believe the bible by faith so I don't need another faith and I can tell when something is believed by faith.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I'd reject the theory of evolution even if I was an atheist based on a lack of logic,reason,evidence and that you must have blind faith.I already believe the bible by faith so I don't need another faith and I can tell when something is believed by faith.
You mean like the gap theory? :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:I'd reject the theory of evolution even if I was an atheist based on a lack of logic,reason,evidence and that you must have blind faith.I already believe the bible by faith so I don't need another faith and I can tell when something is believed by faith.
You mean like the gap theory? :lol:
At least I have evidence for why I accept it both biblically and scientifically.I have never seen any scientist demonstrate life evolves eventhough they have tried to and failed every time. I atleast can see evidence of a former world that perished.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Audie wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:

But never mind. I've said I dont care to discuss cosmo. I have read thru various articles and arguments for and against. I was not impressed, as for debating it, I choose to let who will be clever.

Now, with regard to sparks of intellectual honesty, and that which is disheartening and shameful.

You clearly are a studious sort; I am impressed with your knowledge of ancient Hebrew for one.

Now, I am not well informed on CA. Possibly I should be. You are not well informed on
those things that demonstrate that yec is untenable, nothing but what Einstein referred to
as a childish superstition. Possibly you should look into being better informed. "Getting over yourself"

Hong Kong, I thought Christianity was the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Later, I met intellectual Christians and realized they were not all like that.

It is dismaying to see an intellectual Christian who is a yec. I dont know how they do it, unless it is
willful cognitive dissonance. Whatever the case, it is shameful, to borrow your word.

As long as you keep up the yeccery, nothing about your other logic escapes the taint.

this forum it is wanting to understand the workings of the mind that could accept yec on any basis but
blind faith

Oddy wonders why krink liked this
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:

blind faith
I liked, 'cause I like it when you actually write longer posts and we get to see into you, your thoughts, rather than the tough exterior and short "wave offs" which can be quite frustrating, leading to pointless conversation. That, and well, I agree with your comments about YEC (no offense to Jac).

My understanding of Jac, through his posts where he has said that he's not a professor in any scientific field or studied sciences in detail, that he's no scientific expert... well, this shows that Jac places what he considers to be a source of truth he does know about above that which he knows lesser of. All people do this, with sources of truth they know little about being deemed suspicious whereas the source they know more of takes priority -- because well, we prefer to go with what we know (or think we know).

Consider for Christians, we accept two sources of truth, that which we call "revelation": special (i.e., Apostolic/Scripture) and natural (i.e., experiences in the world). There are actually more than this in theology (e.g., experience, tradition and reason). Now Jac places a lot of emphasis upon Special (it's what he's studied) and Reason, and perhaps Science and Tradition so much as it fits with his use of the first two ((although he's read much of Aquinas and others) -- but certainly, I think even he would agree he places much more emphasis upon Scripture and Reason as his sources.

So now, what will that lead to? Can an aeroplane fly with only half its wings? It'll likely veer off and crash.

Similarly, please don't be offended, I think you're flying with 1/2 your wings in only trusting in yourself and your understanding of Science. Like you've become educated on the physical world, but what of the immaterial things in the world? (let me inject here that I don't believe I'm by any means perfectly flying either)

By "immaterial" I mean that, well... we're conscious beings and the end result of consciousness means we carry immaterial and indeed spiritual beliefs. According to all we know, we (humans) are the only beings that ever study other creatures ie., there's no animals who study us or who care about what other types of animals are out there (except when it comes to eating them perhaps). We think deeply about matters, consider sex sacred (well many do, even if we fail by social standards it is understood "rape" and the like isn't acceptable), we're aware concepts like rightness and goodness, we want to know questions like where we came from, what is the meaning in life, what happens when we die, will we live on or is physical death it? At all times as far back as we can go, people have carried very spiritual beliefs. We dress ourselves up, create jewelry, want to look our best, care about what people think of us (even if we wish to believe otherwise), and you know, we're the only ones that bend nature to our will so fully that we could and do ruin the natural world.

Now you've explored much that physical Science has to offer, however what of these immaterial aspects I've just rattled off (let me dub them "Spiritual"). Science has a story for explaining how we as physical beings came to be, but what of the spiritual? We see tree diagrams of this species arising physically, and then that -- physical family tree; but what of a consciousness spiritual tree? Why are we spiritual, and to the extent we are? Why are we so far ahead of primates sofaras our conscious awareness is concerned? Certainly humans seem like a quantum leap from primates, how did that happen? What can we know about our spirituality, about these immaterial elements themselves like goodness, love, and the like? Isn't it these immaterial aspects that we believe gives our lives meaning? Relationships and the like are often what people report they wished they focused more upon in life once faced with death. No matter how wrong YECs are re: physical truths, answers to questions like how old the Earth is has no real impact upon what it most important to everyone -- living a fulfilling life.

So I don't know where you might start to understand the spiritual side to us, that's for you to decide when you're good and ready, if you can even be bothered to do so. But, clearly we can identify that the world, in virtue of our expressed spirituality, has more to it than merely physical descriptors, which is what science attempts to deal with. Hence why psychology was once scoffed at being pseudo-science, perhaps? Nonetheless, I'd encourage you to explore these immaterial aspects of the world, of us -- just look into our psych and why we are the way we are. Like you've focused upon material world truths, I'd encourage you to start somewhere exploring immaterial world truths.

Disagree with Christianity, YEC and the like, but until you explore the immaterial aspects as much as you have the phsycal, I think your picture of the world is very much one dimensional through your constant focus upon the material world. It's the reverse of the YEC problem, where such focus so much on the spiritual they neglect the physical truths. Clearly immaterial elements exist, and such as I see it requires equal explaining as the material on its own terms (and vice-versa) in order to have a more balanced view of the real world.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)