The Sabbath

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
authentic
Familiar Member

Post by authentic »

the new covenant specifically tells us that God's laws are written on our hearts. Meaning that God wants us to be holy- to follow a moral and rightous way. The we are no longer bound by the law of Moses (ten commandments and the other 512 laws), is because no man can be justified by doing the works of the law. The Holy Spirit (God himself) helps us to strive for holiness and to take on his character. One of the reasons the law was given was to show us our sin, therefore by seeing our sin through the law, we would find a need for a savior. It also serves as a guide line for rightousness. To say that we must observe ( or work out the law of Moses) is still basically saying that we must mix the New and Old covenants together in order to please God. That is contradictory and a conflict of interest. Now bare in mind, that the law was carried out by force. You had to do everything by the letter at certain times, at certain places, with certain things. It was so tedious. Now God gives us freedom, by removing these stipulations, which allows us to worship and give honor through a holy life style and faith. No more tithing, sacrificing bullocks, turtle doves, oxen, and lamb. No more observing the Sabbath days, and new moon days, and obstaining from certain meats. It was all fullfilled with the death and ressurection of Christ Jesus.

Now again, if you want to observe some days, or obstain from certain meats, as a way to give reverence for God, Fine! But when you make it a binding law , that we must keep in addition to Christ crucifixion - in order to be saved, then you are in error. So tell me why is it that you oberserve these laws still?
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

If the law of God is to be written on our hearts and placed in our minds instead of just words carved in stone, how is it we are not to obey the commandments of God?

In fact doesn't the whole concept speak of the spiritual intent of the law as the motivating factor that should cause us to obey God's commands?

In other words, we should live by the intent of the law becasue the law has become part of us (written in our hearts and placed in our minds) instead of just words on paper or stone that are perceived only from a literal perspective.

When it speaks of the law being written in our hearts and placed in our minds in Jeremiah, it speaks of the law of God as revealed in the OT yet in the context of a time yet to come.

It was asked,
So tell me why is it that you oberserve these laws still?
It is written,

And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ (Rev. 12:17, NKJV).

Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus (Rev. 14:12, NKJV).

Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie (Rev. 22:14-15, NKJV).

I keep the law of God because the Bible identifies the elect as those who keep the law of God and the testimony or faith of Jesus Christ. That is the same thing taught in the OT. And God cannot lie.

To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light (or dawn) in them (Isaiah 8:20, NKJV).

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

No one's going to hell - unless you are using the term as it was understood in the old English as referring to the grave or death.

The fact that you are blissfully unaware of this is a clear indication of where the delusion lies.

One cannot walk according to the spirit if he is in rebellion to the express written word of God found from Genesis to Revelation.

Why not address the three texts posted from Rev? They clearly show that the elect are those who keep the commandments of God and the testimony or faith of Jesus Christ, are granted the authority to the tree of life and enter the city of God through the gates. Outside are all those who do not keep the law and are therefore the rebellious ones.

Let me make this simple, if it is not against the law of God to eat unclean meat and it's not against the law of God to break His Sabbaths, then it is likewise not against the law to steal, commit adultery, covet your neighbor's possessions, or have other gods before the one true God. Do you disagree with this logical conclusion?

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

If you do not wish to know about it I will no longer speak to you about it.
authentic
Familiar Member

Post by authentic »

Jbuza wrote:Why ignore the numerous passages I posted? Jesus is the end of the law in that there is righteousness for all who believe.

The scripture specifically says not to judge people in what they eat or when they worship. Jesus said honour God and love your neighbor.

I don't find your conclusion logical. Sure if you want to ignore numerous passages, and say we are subject to the entire law you may find it logical, but it does notfollow from what I read in my Bible.

Jon
it is clear that R7 willfully glosses over the scriptures.. there is not much need to continue with this if the scriptures are not his authority. I believe that he's trusting more in what his church teaches than the actual word of God.. There is really no other way to explain it. So if he wants to ignore the entire book of Galations and a third of Romans , and quarter of Corinthians, because of his traditions. Then i'm not sure if its much more than we can say.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

Why do you act as my accuser?

I have spoken what is written and this is what the Scriptures say,

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome (1 John 5:2-3, NKJV).

If I have spoken contrary to what is written in Scripture then bear witness of it.

R7-12
Yeshua's follower
Familiar Member

Post by Yeshua's follower »

Once again I want to ask, isn't Jesus our example? Shouldn't we walk just as he walked? Even Paul (the man who the church says didn't follow the law and taught that we don't have to) upholds the law. He himself even obeyed the law.

Acts 24:14 (NKJV) "But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the Elohim of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets.

Acts 25:8 (NKJV) while he answered for himself, "Neither against the Law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I offended in anything at all."

Acts 18:21 (NKJV) but took leave of them, saying, "I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, Yahweh willing." And he sailed from Ephesus.

Roma 7:25 (NKJV) I thank Yahweh--through Yahushua the Messiah our Master! So then, with the mind I myself serve the Law of Yahweh, but with the flesh the Law of sin.

Roma 2:12 (NKJV) For as many as have sinned without Law will also perish without Law, and as many as have sinned in the Law will be judged by the Law 13 (for not the hearers of the Law [are] just in the sight of Yahweh, but the doers of the Law will be justified;

Roma 3:31 (NKJV) Do we then make void the Law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Roma 6:15 (NKJV) What then? Shall we sin because we are not under Law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin [leading] to death, or of obedience [leading] to righteousness?

As far as I can see, obeying God's laws follows what I read in my bible. There is far more scripture than what I have posted. I am not quite sure what scripture you are talking about. But we do know that our example Jesus Christ obeyed EVERYTHING in the law, and even Paul obeyed God's laws. If Paul didn't obey his law, then why was he keeping the "coming feast in Jerusalem?
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Acts

15:4 When they arrived in Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all the things God had done with them. 15:5 But some from the religious party of the Pharisees who had believed stood up and said, “It is necessary to circumcise the Gentiles and to order them to observe the law of Moses.”
15:6 Both the apostles and the elders met together to deliberate about this matter. 15:7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brothers, you know that some time ago God chose me to preach to the Gentiles so they would hear the message of the gospel and believe. 15:8 And God, who knows the heart, has testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us, 15:9 and he made no distinction between them and us, cleansing their hearts by faith. 15:10 So now why are you putting God to the test by placing on the neck of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? 15:11 On the contrary, we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they are.”
15:12 The whole group kept quiet and listened to Barnabas and Paul while they explained all the miraculous signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them. 15:13 After they stopped speaking, James replied, “Brothers, listen to me. 15:14 Simeon has explained how God first concerned himself to select from among the Gentiles a people for his name. 15:15 The words of the prophets agree with this, as it is written,
15:16 'After this I will return,
and I will rebuild the fallen tent of David;
I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, 15:28 For it seemed best to the Holy Spirit and to us not to place any greater burden on you than these necessary rules: 15:29 that you abstain from meat that has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what has been strangled and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from doing these things, you will do well.

15:17 so that the rest of humanity may seek the Lord,
namely, all the Gentiles I have called to be my own,' says the Lord, who makes these things 15:18 known from long ago.
15:19 “Therefore I conclude that we should not cause extra difficulty for those among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 15:20 but that we should write them a letter telling them to abstain from things defiled by idols and from sexual immorality and from what has been strangled and from blood.

Romans

3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law
4:13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would inherit the world was not fulfilled through the law, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 4:14 For if they become heirs by the law, faith is empty and the promise is nullified. 4:15 For the law brings wrath, because where there is no law there is no transgression either. 4:16 For this reason it is by faith so that it may be by grace, with the result that the promise may be certain to all the descendants — not only to those who are under the law, but also to those who have the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all
7:4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you could be joined to another, to the one who was raised from the dead, to bear fruit to God. 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful desires, aroused by the law, were active in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 7:6 But now we have been released from the law, because we have died to what controlled us, so that we may serve in the new life of the Spirit and not under the old written code.
9:30 What shall we say then? — that the Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness obtained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith, 9:31 but Israel even though pursuing a law of righteousness did not attain it. 9:32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but (as if it were possible) by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone, 9:33 just as it is written,
10:4 For Christ is the end of the law, with the result that there is righteousness for everyone who believes.
13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 Corinthians

1:20 Where is the wise man? Where is the expert in the Mosaic law? Where is the debater of this age? Has God not made the wisdom of the world foolish? 1:21 For since in the wisdom of God the world by its wisdom did not know God, God was pleased to save those who believe by the foolishness of preaching.
: To the Jews I became like a Jew to gain the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) to gain those under the law. 9:21 To those free from the law I became like one free from the law (though I am not free from God's law but under the law of Christ) to gain those free from the law.
10:23 “Everything is lawful,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is lawful,” but not everything builds others up. 10:24 Do not seek your own good, but the good of the other person. 10:25 Eat anything that is sold in the marketplace without questions of conscience, 10:26 for the earth and its abundance are the Lord's. 10:27 If an unbeliever invites you to dinner and you want to go, eat whatever is served without asking questions of conscience.

Galatians

3:10 For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.” 3:11 Now it is clear no one is justified before God by the law, because the righteous one will live by faith. 3:12 But the law is not based on faith, but the one who does the works of the law will live by them. 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us

3:19 Why then was the law given? It was added because of transgressions, until the arrival of the descendant to whom the promise had been made. It was administered through angels by an intermediary. 3:20 Now an intermediary is not for one party alone, but God is one. 3:21 Is the law therefore opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that was able to give life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 3:22 But the scripture imprisoned everything and everyone under sin so that the promise could be given — because of the faithfulness of Jesus Christ — to those who believe. 3:23 Now before faith came we were held in custody under the law, being kept as prisoners until the coming faith would be revealed. 3:24 Thus the law had become our guardian until Christ, so that we could be declared righteous by faith. 3:25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian

4:1 Now I mean that the heir, as long as he is a minor, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything. 4:2 But he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. 4:3 So also we, when we were minors, were enslaved under the basic forces of the world. 4:4 But when the appropriate time had come, God sent out his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 4:5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we may be adopted as sons with full rights. 4:6 And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, who calls “Abba! Father!” 4:7 So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if you are a son, then you are also an heir through God. 4:8 Formerly when you did not know God, you were enslaved to beings that by nature are not gods at all. 4:9 But now that you have come to know God (or rather to be known by God), how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless basic forces? Do you want to be enslaved to them all over again? 4:10 You are observing religious days and months and seasons and years. 4:11 I fear for you that my work for you may have been in vain. 4:12 I beg you, brothers and sisters, become like me, because I have become like you. You have done me no wrong!

4:21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, do you not understand the law?

5:1 For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be subject again to the yoke of slavery. 5:2 Listen! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you at all! 5:3 And I testify again to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 5:4 You who are trying to be declared righteous by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace! 5:5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we wait expectantly for the hope of righteousness. 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision carries any weight — the only thing that matters is faith working through love.

5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity to indulge your flesh, but through love serve one another. 5:14 For the whole law can be summed up in a single commandment, namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”

6:12 Those who want to make a good showing in external matters are trying to force you to be circumcised. They do so only to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 6:13 For those who are circumcised do not obey the law themselves, but they want you to be circumcised so that they can boast about your flesh.

Ephesians

2:14 For he is our peace, the one who made both groups into one and who destroyed the middle wall of partition, the hostility, 2:15 when he nullified in his flesh the law of commandments in decrees.

Philippians

I lived according to the law as a Pharisee. 3:6 In my zeal for God I persecuted the church. According to the righteousness stipulated in the law I was blameless. 3:7 But these assets I have come to regard as liabilities because of Christ. 3:8 More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things — indeed, I regard them as dung! — that I may gain Christ, 3:9 and be found in him, not because I have my own righteousness derived from the law, but because I have the righteousness that comes by way of Christ's faithfulness — a righteousness from God that is in fact based on Christ's faithfulness.

Colossians

2:14 He has destroyed what was against us, a certificate of indebtedness expressed in decrees opposed to us. He has taken it away by nailing it to the cross.

1 Timothy

1:6 Some have strayed from these and turned away to empty discussion. 1:7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not understand what they are saying or the things they insist on so confidently.
1:8 But we know that the law is good if someone uses it legitimately, 1:9 realizing that law is not intended for a righteous person, but for lawless and rebellious people, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 1:10 sexually immoral people, practicing homosexuals, kidnappers, liars, perjurers — in fact, for any who live contrary to sound teaching.

Hebrews (written to Jewish Christians)
(This is edited down a lot, but I urge you to go read it)
7:11 So if perfection had in fact been possible through the Levitical priesthood — for on that basis the people received the law — what further need would there have been for another priest to arise, said to be in the order of Melchizedek and not in Aaron's order? 7:12 For when the priesthood changes, a change in the law must come as well. 7:18 On the one hand a former command is set aside because it is weak and useless, 7:19 for the law made nothing perfect. On the other hand a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God. 7:20 And since this was not done without a sworn affirmation — for the others have become priests without a sworn affirmation, 7:21 but Jesus did so with a sworn affirmation by the one who said to him, “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, 'You are a priest forever'” — 7:22 accordingly Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. 7:24 but he holds his priesthood permanently since he lives forever. 7:25 So he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
8:6 But now Jesus has obtained a superior ministry, since the covenant that he mediates is also better and is enacted on better promises.
8:13 When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.
9:15 And so he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the eternal inheritance he has promised, since he died to set them free from the violations committed under the first covenant. . . But now he has appeared once for all at the consummation of the ages to put away sin by his sacrifice. 9:27 And just as people are appointed to die once, and then to face judgment, 9:28 so also, after Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many, to those who eagerly await him he will appear a second time, not to bear sin but to bring salvation.

James (written to Jewish Christians)

1:25 But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out — he will be blessed in what he does. 1:26 If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile. 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

2:8 But if you fulfill the royal law as expressed in this scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 2:9 But if you show prejudice, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as violators. 2:10 For the one who obeys the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 2:11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a violator of the law. 2:12 Speak and act as those who will be judged by a law that gives freedom. 2:13 For judgment is merciless for the one who has shown no mercy. But mercy triumphs over judgment.

4:11 Do not speak against one another, brothers and sisters. He who speaks against a fellow believer or judges a fellow believer speaks against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but its judge. 4:12 But there is only one who is lawgiver and judge — the one who is able to save and destroy. On the other hand, who are you to judge your neighbor?
4:13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into this or that town and spend a year there and do business and make a profit.” 4:14 You do not know about tomorrow. What is your life like? For you are a puff of smoke that appears for a short time and then vanishes. 4:15 You ought to say instead, “If the Lord is willing, then we will live and do this or that.” 4:16 But as it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 4:17 So whoever knows what is good to do and does not do it is guilty of sin.

1 John

2:3 Now by this we know that we have come to know God: if we keep his commandments. 2:4 The one who says “I have come to know God” and yet does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in such a person. 2:5 But whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has been perfected. By this we know that we are in him. 2:6 The one who says he resides in God ought himself to walk just as Jesus walked.

3:4 Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; indeed, sin is lawlessness. 3:5 And you know that Jesus was revealed to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 3:6 Everyone who resides in him does not sin; everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him. 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you: The one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as Jesus is righteous. 3:8 The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed: to destroy the works of the devil. 3:9 Everyone who has been fathered by God does not practice sin, because God's seed resides in him, and thus he is not able to sin, because he has been fathered by God. 3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are revealed: Everyone who does not practice righteousness — the one who does not love his fellow Christian — is not of God.

5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been fathered by God, and everyone who loves the father loves the child fathered by him. 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God: whenever we love God and obey his commandments. 5:3 For this is the love of God: that we keep his commandments. And his commandments do not weigh us down, 5:4 because everyone who has been fathered by God conquers the world.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

What is the point in discussing aspects of the law of God like the Sabbath or the law itself?

To merely argue one's own position, to try to assert or even impose one's own beliefs upon those who might hold a different view?

Shouldn't the point really be to try to gain a more accurate understanding of the law?

I think it should.

But so very, very few genuinely want to learn anything new about the law of God because they generally believe the law of God should be repressed or diminished or moved out of the way entirely because it is not active in the life of a Christian today. So they believe they know all they need to about the law of God.

So if one approaches the law with that kind of pre-conceived assumption or belief, then there is no room for anything positive about the law to be learned or applied.

The result is that when very simple but direct questions are put forward there is seldom a direct answer given. Instead we see denial, dismissal, deflection, and deception.

Don't agree?

Here is one example. See how easily it is to answer this question directly, succinctly, quickly and honestly.

IF you commit murder, have you transgressed the law of God?

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

Ok.

Yes if we commit murder we break the law of God.
Will you then agree that you are also breaking the law of God if you do any of the following?

Have other gods before the one true God
Worship graven images
Use God's name vainly
Dishonour your father and mother
Commit adultry
Steal
Bear false witness
Covet your neighbor's possessions

How do you answer?

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.