History of Baptism, help needed

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Have any of you ever run across anyone by the name of Elcesaites (sp?). He was a Gnostic heretic that describes Baptism as a mechanism for forgiving sin. About the time of Trajan. This would be a good source but I can't find anything on the web so far. Maybe it is the spelling that is tripping me up; or

maybe it came to me in a dream after eating too may hot chilies. lol
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: History of Baptism, help needed

Post by Fortigurn »

Byblos wrote:Oh! Now all of a sudden everything makes sense. Well, I think it does warrant splitting hairs. In other words, you do not believe in the holy trinity.
The hairsplitting to which I referred was trinitarian definitions of the trinity, not whether or not my beliefs are the same as yours (which they most certainly aren't).
And you have the audacity to attack Catholicism and label the pope as the antichrist?
Sure, why not? Many faithful Catholics have done the same.
You claim to be Christian and clearly you are not. True Christianity is ANY denomination that professes GOD, JESUS CHRIST, and the HOLY SPIRIT as the ONE TRUE GOD. THAT is indisputable history pal, and nothing you say will change that, not even the few out of context quotes you hold on to like a treasure to justify your false beliefs.
It might be history, but I don't think it's Scripture. But if you can find me a passage of Scripture which says that true Christianity necessitates a belief in the trinity, I'd love to see it.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Christian2 wrote:Have any of you ever run across anyone by the name of Elcesaites (sp?). He was a Gnostic heretic that describes Baptism as a mechanism for forgiving sin. About the time of Trajan. This would be a good source but I can't find anything on the web so far. Maybe it is the spelling that is tripping me up; or

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05372a.htm

Is that it?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: History of Baptism, help needed

Post by August »

Fortigurn wrote:
Byblos wrote:Oh! Now all of a sudden everything makes sense. Well, I think it does warrant splitting hairs. In other words, you do not believe in the holy trinity.
The hairsplitting to which I referred was trinitarian definitions of the trinity, not whether or not my beliefs are the same as yours (which they most certainly aren't).
And you have the audacity to attack Catholicism and label the pope as the antichrist?
Sure, why not? Many faithful Catholics have done the same.
You claim to be Christian and clearly you are not. True Christianity is ANY denomination that professes GOD, JESUS CHRIST, and the HOLY SPIRIT as the ONE TRUE GOD. THAT is indisputable history pal, and nothing you say will change that, not even the few out of context quotes you hold on to like a treasure to justify your false beliefs.
It might be history, but I don't think it's Scripture. But if you can find me a passage of Scripture which says that true Christianity necessitates a belief in the trinity, I'd love to see it.
Folks, please start a new thread on this if you wish to pursue it.

Thanks
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

August wrote:
Christian2 wrote:Have any of you ever run across anyone by the name of Elcesaites (sp?). He was a Gnostic heretic that describes Baptism as a mechanism for forgiving sin. About the time of Trajan. This would be a good source but I can't find anything on the web so far. Maybe it is the spelling that is tripping me up; or

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05372a.htm

Is that it?
August, I do believe that it is. Thank you so much.

Blessings.