Escalation in the Middle East

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

August wrote:Byblos, our prayers are with you and your family. I know how you feel, I have family in a dangerous part of the world too.

God bless.

Thank you August, I appreciate that. Things are getting worse by the minute. Now Israel is bombing all along the coast line, in the Christian cities too. One area was Amsheet, which is 5 minutes from Byblos. Now I'm hearing that most of the country's infrastructure has been destroyed, including the main highways. This means my mom is pretty much cut off from my brother and sisters. I can't reach her by phone but I'm hoping the neighbors are keeping an eye on her (she's 80).

Your family's in my prayers too.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

Wow, what a reminder for us in the West not to take the security we enjoy for granted...

Did you manage to contact your family members Byblos?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Byblos wrote:
August wrote:Byblos, our prayers are with you and your family. I know how you feel, I have family in a dangerous part of the world too.

God bless.

Thank you August, I appreciate that. Things are getting worse by the minute. Now Israel is bombing all along the coast line, in the Christian cities too. One area was Amsheet, which is 5 minutes from Byblos. Now I'm hearing that most of the country's infrastructure has been destroyed, including the main highways. This means my mom is pretty much cut off from my brother and sisters. I can't reach her by phone but I'm hoping the neighbors are keeping an eye on her (she's 80).

Your family's in my prayers too.
:( :cry: :(

Byblos,

I'm praying for you like this was my own family. I don't know what else to say.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Felgar wrote:Wow, what a reminder for us in the West not to take the security we enjoy for granted...

Did you manage to contact your family members Byblos?

Yes finally, yesterday my sisters and today my mother. They're all fine and safe. The concern now is how long this is going to take as the country is totally shut off from the outside world from all sides; internally as well. Food supplies are dwindling and fuel is virtually gone. Out of all the mayhem and destruction, we're still hopeful that the international community will help us rid ourselves of the causes of this tragedy.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It means the world to me.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Byblos, you have our sympathy...

Just asking here, no need to reply if you want. What do you feel are the people's main reaction to Israel's bombing there? Do you feel there are only groups of people there that believe that they should release the 2 soldiers or is there no real reaction yet?

Thanks,
G -
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:Byblos, you have our sympathy...

Just asking here, no need to reply if you want. What do you feel are the people's main reaction to Israel's bombing there? Do you feel there are only groups of people there that believe that they should release the 2 soldiers or is there no real reaction yet?

Thanks,
G -

The reactions are varied and basically depend on 'whose side you're on'. The March 14th alliance (Christians, Sunnis and Druze) responsible for the cedar revolution and the Syrian pullout (and who hold the majority in parliament) are for the disarmament of Hezbollah and for the legitimate government of Lebanon to take over the south (on the Israely border). They were trying to accomplish this goal via internal negotiations (peacefully) but evidently Hezbollah and their Shiite supporters had other agendas, no doubt greatly influenced by their external protagonists, namely Syria and Iran.

However, no matter how strong the desire is to see Hezbollah disarmed and the rule of law established, no one wants to see that happening at the expense of total destruction of the country's civilian infrastructure and the killing of innocent people. 15 years of rebuilding a country ravaged by war and billions of dollars have been annihilated in a matter of days. With that said, we are willing to take the losses and are willing to rebuild yet again, if we are given the chance. We will not be given the chance if Hezbollah is merely pushed back 20 miles from the Israely border and left to freely operate further North. I don't know what the solution is but what I do know is that if it's left to the Lebanese to mop up this mess and rain in Hezbollah at the same time, it will no doubt result in another internal war (and possibly beyond). After a 30 year Syrian occupation and a 20 year Israely occupation (the withdrawal of whom strengthened Hezbollah a thousand fold), we simply cannot do it alone. We need the help of the international community to accomplish this goal, or else there's no end in sight.

The latest news is that the Israely PM has set the conditions for a cease fire being the return of the kidnapped soldiers, stop the rocket attacks and push Hezbollah back 20 miles north and the Lebanese Army take over.

IMO, if this is not coupled with some sort of international peace-keeping force, what's happening today will occur again 5 years from now. And the innocent civilians are the only ones taking the brunt of it. With a peace-keeping force in the middle, Hezbollah cannot claim to be defending Lebanon against the aggressions of the zionist state and, therefore, they will have no excuse to be armed. Whether or not they will disarm or they will turn their arms against their countrymen or the peace-keeping force itself remains to be seen.

Sorry for the verbose post but hey, you asked. :wink:.

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I want to be careful to preface all this by saying that the only impressions I have gotten are those given from popular media, so I could easily have this entire scenario wrong. But, with that said, I have a question:

Would it not be beneficial to Lebanon, and by extension to the entire region, for Israel to disarm Hezbollah? The current governement there, from what I understand, isn't able to do that without starting a sectarian war, but if Israel does it, then that problem is resolved. The elected gov't can then go in with its army and establish order.

However, two things seem to me to be necessary to go with that. First, it is going to unfortunately require some heavy fighting. That will necessarily result in heavy destruction and loss of life. I would not place that blame on Israel, though, for two reasons. Number one, Hezbollah started the entire problem, and number two, if they would respect the elected gov't, none of this would be a problem anyway. So, ultimately, the blame for civilian casualities lies with them. The second necessity, and this may be actually be harder to sell, would be a comprehensive, international rebuilding plan. If Israel herself, along with the international community, once Hezhollah is disarmed, helped the Lebanese gov't to rebuild and re-establish order, then those who benefit the most directly - the Lebanese people - will see that it is not they who were under attack, but those who were effectively holding them hostage. The support, both financial and manual, would be a strong token of good favor in the international community at large.

The result, it would seem, then, would be a more Western-friendly Lebanon, and those who would react harshly against that would be the very ones that had been disposed of. Is this not all precedented by WWII and our treatment of Germany?

So, just my thoughts . . . how does that play out?

And you and your family are certainly in my prayers, Byblos.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:I want to be careful to preface all this by saying that the only impressions I have gotten are those given from popular media, so I could easily have this entire scenario wrong. But, with that said, I have a question:

Would it not be beneficial to Lebanon, and by extension to the entire region, for Israel to disarm Hezbollah? The current governement there, from what I understand, isn't able to do that without starting a sectarian war, but if Israel does it, then that problem is resolved. The elected gov't can then go in with its army and establish order.

However, two things seem to me to be necessary to go with that. First, it is going to unfortunately require some heavy fighting. That will necessarily result in heavy destruction and loss of life. I would not place that blame on Israel, though, for two reasons. Number one, Hezbollah started the entire problem, and number two, if they would respect the elected gov't, none of this would be a problem anyway. So, ultimately, the blame for civilian casualities lies with them. The second necessity, and this may be actually be harder to sell, would be a comprehensive, international rebuilding plan. If Israel herself, along with the international community, once Hezhollah is disarmed, helped the Lebanese gov't to rebuild and re-establish order, then those who benefit the most directly - the Lebanese people - will see that it is not they who were under attack, but those who were effectively holding them hostage. The support, both financial and manual, would be a strong token of good favor in the international community at large.

The result, it would seem, then, would be a more Western-friendly Lebanon, and those who would react harshly against that would be the very ones that had been disposed of. Is this not all precedented by WWII and our treatment of Germany?

So, just my thoughts . . . how does that play out?

And you and your family are certainly in my prayers, Byblos.

God bless

Thanks Jac, I appreciate that.

As for the scenario you describe, if it were that easy, believe me many of the Lebanese would welcome it (destruction and all). But the problem is much deeper and reality much too complicated.

Just a few issues to consider:

You're right in so much as the Lebanese government (by using the army) is incapable of raining in Hezbollah for two reasons. One, it lacks the money, equipment and training. Two, most low level soldiers are Shiites and therefore sympathetic to Hezbollah. Utilising the army will fail miserably and, like you said, will likely plunge the country into another civil war.

Hezbollah has been operating in Southern Lebanon since the early 80s. In fact current Hezbollah officials claim the party was born out of necessity to fight the Israeli occupiers (Israel occupied southern Lebanon from 1983 to 2000). When Israel pulled back in 2000, they effectively left Hezbollah in charge and made them heroes in the eyes of the Arabs as the sole resistance group to force Israel to release occupied land.

Along with Syria (the sole occupying force after Israel pulled out) and some very corrupt politicians (both Christian and Moslem) Hezbollah became the dominant force while Syria and its henchmen stole the country blind (to the tune of $40 Billion).

Hezbollah became a state within a state. It controlled every aspect of South Lebanon, built schools and factories, provided social security and helped the poor. So now it is not only viewed as a heroic resistance movement but also a vital social organization. All the while its military wing grew stronger and stronger having the Syrian moral and geographic support, as well as the Iranian financial and logistical backing.

After Syria pulled out in 2005, Hezbollah had no choice but to enter the government and become a full fledged political party as well. This was in an effort to deny the majority the vote to disarm it (at least peacefully) and at the same time keep its arms despite the majority opinion against it.

All of this lengthy preamble is to say that in order for Israel to effectively wipe out Hezbollah, 1) they would have to commit a considerable number of ground troops. I'm not sure Israel is ready to sacrifice hundreds, possibly thousands of soldiers to accomplish that nor do we or the world expect it to do so. 2) Hezbollah is not a traditional army with known base locations and a defined presence. They operate underground and no one really knows where they are (or even who they are). By day they are factory workers, painters, plumbers; and by night they are black-clad fighters. For Israel this is the nightmare scenario. It will turn into their Vietnam.

There's no way to really 'wipe out' Hezbollah. The price is much too high. They need to be neutralized by taking away their ability to hit Israel (thereby taking away their claim that they are defending their nation). Then we can only hope that their disarmament will come through internal political solutions, having taken away the reasons for which they claim they need arms.

Finally, we do not deny Israel its God-given right to defend itself against aggression and terrorism. However, public opinion that's always been sympathetic to the Israeli plight is turning (whether or not they support Hezbollah) and that's due not only to the loss of innocent life (over 200 so far, the vast majority of whom are women and children) but also because of the shear wonton destruction of civilian infrastructure. It's not just airports, seaports, bridges, electric grids, and major highways. Those are understandable from a military strategy viewpoint. But grain silos? Tissue factories? Internal roads that lead to nowhere full of minibuses full of fleeing women and children? Pedestrian bridges full of pedestrians? Who are they punishing? Why are they not hitting the missile launchers in the south?

In any case, our only hope is that the job is finished and a peace-keeping force is sent into Southern Lebanon (the U.N. already has some military presence there under UNIFIL so it shouldn't be hard to expand it). Like I said, if this doesn't happen (the peace-keeping force), Hezbollah will be left stronger than ever, though slightly displaced. How long do you think it will take for the Iranians to send them missiles that can reach Tel Aviv from 20 miles north of the border? Then we're back to square one and the cycle of violence continues unabated. God help us all in that eventuality.

Eh, I guess you can tell I'm conflicted, right?. Please forgive the rantings.

God bless you all,

John.

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Haha, fair enough. Like I said, that's not the kind of info we get on this end from the popular media. The leftist main stream media gives us civilian casualities non-stop and talks about peace-negotations, whereas the conservative talk-radio stations go on about Israel defending herself and destroying Hezbollah.

So I guess the solution is just to nuke the heck out of Iran??? ;)

Jac for national security advisor 08! :lol:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

yblos, I don't have an alternative solution, but I also doubt that a UN peacekeeping force is the answer. They stood by and let many die in Rwanda and Eastern Europe, and have a track record of running when things get hot. Also, how do they stop terror attacks and keep Israel from retaliating if the Lebanese government have been unable to enter the hotspot areas themselves? That would mean actual fighting, and not their normal "human shield" approach.

It's so hard, and as usual in a war of any kind, it's the innocent people that suffer.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:Haha, fair enough. Like I said, that's not the kind of info we get on this end from the popular media. The leftist main stream media gives us civilian casualities non-stop and talks about peace-negotations, whereas the conservative talk-radio stations go on about Israel defending herself and destroying Hezbollah.

So I guess the solution is just to nuke the heck out of Iran??? ;)
You say it jokingly but it could very well become a reality.
Jac3510 wrote:Jac for national security advisor 08! :lol:
LOL, I'd vote for you Jac (or at least vote for the guy who will appoint you. Go Giuliani!).

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

August wrote:yblos, I don't have an alternative solution, but I also doubt that a UN peacekeeping force is the answer. They stood by and let many die in Rwanda and Eastern Europe, and have a track record of running when things get hot. Also, how do they stop terror attacks and keep Israel from retaliating if the Lebanese government have been unable to enter the hotspot areas themselves? That would mean actual fighting, and not their normal "human shield" approach.

It's so hard, and as usual in a war of any kind, it's the innocent people that suffer.

I agree it's not an ideal solution. But like the Israeli foreign minister said yesterday: 'in the Middle East you have to choose between bad solutions'. The hope is that a peace-keeping force as well as a 20 mile buffer zone will stop Hezbollah from firing rockets into Israel and will give the Lebanese army enough time to regroup and take control of the South. Once that happens, Hezbollah's claim to bear arms is no longer justifiable. In addition, since they've always maintained that their arms will NEVER be directed internally, they will have no choice but to disarm. That's the plan, however unlikely.

One would ask what the ideal solution is and in my view it is this:

Israel has the capability to eliminate the root cause of terrorism in the Middle East, i.e. the Palestinian issue. If Israel unilaterally decides to give back all land occupied during the 1967 war and after (including all of Gaza, west Bank, East Jerusalem to the Palestinians, and the Golan Hights to Syria) then the Palestinians and all of the Arabs who support them will have no reason whatsoever to attack Israel (considering some of them like Egypt and Jordan already have peace treaties with Israel and have acknowledged its right to exist within the pre-1967 borders).

Once that's done, The United States, yes us, not Israel will announce that whoever messes with Israel from there on will have the might of the U.S. to contend with.

That's pretty much it, remove the cause and terrorism will come to a screeching halt. Easy, right? The reality says otherwise and I couldn't tell you why.

The Middle East is synonymous with the lesser of 2 evils.

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Byblos,

I'm not interested in starting a great debate, particularly as in the context of the present situation, I'm more interested in praying for and hoping that your family is safe.

I respect that your opinion is rooted in more first hand experience than mine in this region. I also agree that part of the solution may include the return of lands taken post 1967.

I think it is a little unrealistic to expect that this will change things all that much however. The attitudes in the region toward Israel, while certainly fueled by the event of 1967, were present before and will be present after. There are some very strong "opinions" shall we say that simply will not be happy with anything more than Israel ceasing to exist as a formal nation and then more-so moving on to genocide.

It is encouraging to see that in this instance there is some condemnation for Hezbollah from Arab sources and so that gives me hope that perhaps enough critical mass exists that in the right time and the right context a bold move by Israel in this regard could tip opinion enough within the arab community to minimize or marginalize the extremist fringes. However, those "fringes" are pretty significant with chants of this type coming directly from Iran's and Syria's formal leaders.

So, I respect you opinion and more importantly am praying for your family. I'm just not sure the answer is as easy as what you portray.

I don't necessarily have a better one however.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Byblos,

I'm not interested in starting a great debate, particularly as in the context of the present situation, I'm more interested in praying for and hoping that your family is safe.

I respect that your opinion is rooted in more first hand experience than mine in this region. I also agree that part of the solution may include the return of lands taken post 1967.

I think it is a little unrealistic to expect that this will change things all that much however. The attitudes in the region toward Israel, while certainly fueled by the event of 1967, were present before and will be present after. There are some very strong "opinions" shall we say that simply will not be happy with anything more than Israel ceasing to exist as a formal nation and then more-so moving on to genocide.

It is encouraging to see that in this instance there is some condemnation for Hezbollah from Arab sources and so that gives me hope that perhaps enough critical mass exists that in the right time and the right context a bold move by Israel in this regard could tip opinion enough within the arab community to minimize or marginalize the extremist fringes. However, those "fringes" are pretty significant with chants of this type coming directly from Iran's and Syria's formal leaders.

So, I respect you opinion and more importantly am praying for your family. I'm just not sure the answer is as easy as what you portray.

I don't necessarily have a better one however.

Bart
Bart, thanks for the thoughts and prayers for my family.

As for debating the issue, I don't think we'd have any problem at all having a friendly debate and presenting our respective viewpoints. The thing is in this case, I don't think we have anything to debate about as I do not disagree with anything you've said.

My 'ideal' solution was more on the side of wishful thinking than anything realistically implementable. That's why I closed with The reality says otherwise and I couldn't tell you why.

The reality is that there are hardliners and fanatics on both sides and, unfortunately, those are the ones that seem to be in control. The voices of moderation are being drowned out by extremism. The Middle east conflict has been raging on since Biblical times. I feel pretty insignificant when I think I can come up with a solution for it. Occasional day dreaming, however, is permissable.

God bless,

John.

Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

As a rule I make it a point to be informed about our world, its history, and the dynamics at play throughout various regions. I gotta admit though, I know almost nothing about the Middle East. I thought Isreal gave back the land in the whole Gaza withdrawal. Was that only a small part of it? And isn't this the first time the Palestinians could ever really be considered a nation? Who controlled Gaza before 1967?