the bible tells you there are no ghosts? but i do disagree

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Oh, sorry. You were quoting; I thought they were your ideas. Which confused me a bit, because I knew you were still searching. Thanks for clarifying.

There are various kinds of 'spirits'. God Himself is a Spirit. Angels are spirits, and so are devils (fallen angels). Humans have a spirit and a body.

There are lots of religions, and a person can easily get confused about the multitude of contrasting claims which all those religions make. But think about it: if the Resurrection is true, then Jesus came back from the dead. He would know what happened after death.
The ban against talking to spirits is from the Old Testament, the Jewish Scriptures. Jesus knew those very well. If Jesus would have discovered that some spirits you could contact were really friendly after all, I think He would have told us.
jezzer
Familiar Member

Post by jezzer »

i dont think im going to get anywhere as you know far more than me

but in jesus time there was still a conflict with god and satan so jesus would be right in saying dont contact the spirits as its all satan's work

but now in our time you have just as many spirts well alot more and could be that there is more good spirits than evil

also we dont know about what happened to jesus when he died,he could of come back to life quicker than we thought

also he could of gone straight to heavan to see his father and we dont know how god gave him life again or do we or what god said to him

if you have seen any info for and against ghosts/spirits please direct me
i have read what jesus has said that its all satans work,but there must be people claiming different even though they belive god exist.
Swamper
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

Edit: How do you delete posts?
Last edited by Swamper on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

The Bible is pretty clear on what happens after death: man is destined to die once, and after that, judgement. Man goes to heaven or to hell. His spirit does not stay to roam the earth.
But Jesus also said that no man has seen heaven yet, which to me implies that judgement will not happen until after Jesus's second coming. So what happens to human spirits after death and before judgement?

This subject greatly interests me because some of my friends and I have encountered demons before.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Swamper wrote:Edit: How do you delete posts?
Click on the x in the upper right corner of your post. Unfortunately we can't delete other peoples posts...wel most of us can't. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Gah, it's not appearing for either of my posts in this topic now! :(
FFC

Post by FFC »

Swamper wrote:Gah, it's not appearing for either of my posts in this topic now! :(
Oh, you know what...I think it dissapears after the post is replied to. So when you posted a new reply you lost the option to the previous one and when I replied your last one you lost the other one...are we thoroughly confused yet? :lol: I know I am.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

FFC

Post by FFC »

FFC wrote:
FFC wrote:
Swamper wrote:Gah, it's not appearing for either of my posts in this topic now! :(
Oh, you know what...I think it dissapears after the post is replied to. So when you posted a new reply you lost the option to the previous one and when I replied your last one you lost the other one...are we thoroughly confused yet? :lol: I know I am.
I'm replying to my own post to see if I am right.
And I am. 8)

Ok moderators, you can delete my experimentation if you want.

Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

i dont think im going to get anywhere as you know far more than me
Never mind. I'm amazed what I've learnt in just a few months. Keep asking questions, and you'll learn too.
By the way, the people who know more are the people to whom you need to go with questions... ;) And that will certainly get you anywhere!
but in jesus time there was still a conflict with god and satan so jesus would be right in saying dont contact the spirits as its all satan's work
Well, Jesus didn't really say so... Our view on occultism derives from the Jewish laws. God ordered the Jews to kill persons who contacted spirits. Those laws don't apply in the same way anymore, but it's clear that God doesn't want people to meddle with spirits.
but now in our time you have just as many spirts well alot more and could be that there is more good spirits than evil
Those good spirits would be angels, but I doubt they contact mediums. And they would not take the form of funny children.
also we dont know about what happened to jesus when he died,he could of come back to life quicker than we thought

also he could of gone straight to heavan to see his father and we dont know how god gave him life again or do we or what god said to him
Hmm...Jesus rose on the third day. He died on Friday evening (first day), was still dead through Saturday (second day), and rose on Sunday morning (third day).
I don't know where He was in the meantime. Theologians don't agree anyhow.
if you have seen any info for and against ghosts/spirits please direct me
i have read what jesus has said that its all satans work,but there must be people claiming different even though they belive god exist.
Good idea! I know next to nothing about mediums, so I can't answer your questions very well. I hunted on Google and came up with the following article, written by someone who DOES have experience in this field:

http://cana.userworld.com/cana_spiritcontact1.html
http://cana.userworld.com/cana_spiritcontact2.html

I hope this will answer your questions, and that you will continue asking!

God bless you!
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Swamper wrote:But Jesus also said that no man has seen heaven yet, which to me implies that judgement will not happen until after Jesus's second coming. So what happens to human spirits after death and before judgement?

This subject greatly interests me because some of my friends and I have encountered demons before.
Whew! Scary! But those are not exactly human spirits.

It's hard to get information about the afterlife, and I haven't yet read much about it. However, somewhere I did read that the text translated as 'For it is appointed unto man to die once, and after this comes the judgement' lacks the verb in Greek, so that it reads, 'after this, the judgement'. That would suggest that judgement is immediately after death. That's what I have always heard in church, but of course it could be wrong.

So I don't really know. But as you said you were interested in where spirits are between death and the Second Coming, try this article on the doctrine called 'soul sleep'.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

FFC wrote:
FFC wrote:
FFC wrote:
I'm replying to my own post to see if I am right.
And I am. 8)

Ok moderators, you can delete my experimentation if you want.
:D
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Turgonian wrote:
Swamper wrote:But Jesus also said that no man has seen heaven yet, which to me implies that judgement will not happen until after Jesus's second coming. So what happens to human spirits after death and before judgement?

Whew! Scary! But those are not exactly human spirits.

It's hard to get information about the afterlife, and I haven't yet read much about it. However, somewhere I did read that the text translated as 'For it is appointed unto man to die once, and after this comes the judgement' lacks the verb in Greek, so that it reads, 'after this, the judgement'. That would suggest that judgement is immediately after death. That's what I have always heard in church, but of course it could be wrong.

So I don't really know. But as you said you were interested in where spirits are between death and the Second Coming, try this article on the doctrine called 'soul sleep'.
That's an interesting article. I've only skimmed it right now, but I'll try to find time to read it over soon.

And yes, I'm aware that demons are not human spirits, but we have also encountered spirits that were either human or demons taking human form. Either way, they weren't very nice. But they're gone now.