How is the working life in US retail industry?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Quite terrible culture in China that shatters myths.

Post by Gman »

Oriental wrote:After 1997. the Communist government has been keeping HK as independent city as possible and she never asks how it is governed. The problem is the very independence while British government does not interfere as well, HK becomes some place quite dictated by merchants. Since the merchants and zillionaires always theatened to redomicile their economic base to somewhere else the government policy was always in favor of the wealthy people. Social welfare is quite ignored. Education is in mess.
Ok, I didn't know that... But aren't the communists taxing the people of HK in some way or providing government services such as education and defense?
First of all, in China, there is only one party - Communist party. If an enterpeuner and millionaire in China tells you that he does not have political identity, he must be telling lies to you. (this is a taboo in China because Chinese government wants to cultivate some wealthy men and millionaire to combat the foreigners; their racism is grave) All capitalists in China are actually molded by Chinese government. (no new coverage can reveal this, because no one can tell you this truth with verification.
Interesting... The way it is portrayed here is that people have a choice to be either with the party or not be with it. I didn't think there was a capitalist party per say, but my sources claimed (mostly through T.V.) that people were given this choice.. Ultimately however, they were still required to pay taxes to it. But maybe not to the same measure as a communist member... Also, my understanding is that they wouldn't have the same benefits as a communist member either..
1) they work hard, not for the communist party, but for themselves, for power and money, and mostly, for glory and to avoid shame (I still can't find the biblical meaning of "glory and shame". the people here are highly sensitive to "glory and shame" and, precisely, "faces" which are their lives and hatred oozes if you are better than them, and they would combat against you, by whatever means, so that by comparison, they won't be worse than anyone, in whatever respect. Sometimes, they fail, so they can be highly frustrated if they can't win the "glory" and fall into "shame"
Ok, got you..
2) they are not grateful to their work and they are not humble to their rulers. They are highly aggressive; because communist party bullies the citizens, they are simply afraid of the political party which doesn't mean that they are grateful. If they tell you that they are grateful, they are simply telling lies to you to avoid taboo.
Hmmm, perhaps I'm seeing it different then. I live reasonably close to San Francisco and Chinatown. The Chinese are always considered to be hard workers and flourish greatly under the capitalist blanket here.. Of course some are poor too. But in my opinion, they are some of the nicest people and are very happy to please their guests... They are also very grateful for their work..

Perhaps this is different over there, I don't know since I've never been to China.. I can understand however how they wouldn't be grateful to the aggressive communist party though. I don't think anyone would..
3) the peace in China when the citizens, as you said, won't fight back, is simply because: they are not armed, and second, they don't know how to fight. the social system doesn't bear any channel to complain and there is no ombudsmen (either the concept or the mechanism) to deal with complaints. When US government always hurled criticism against China for lack of human rights, US government is absolutely right. There is no freedom and human rights in China at all, because there is no knowledge of "human rights" amongst the citizens. They simply don't know what rights they should have but sheer pitiful ignorance and naive observance to the rules.
Yes, I believe that the U.S. government is right too.. My only wish is that China becomes a democracy too.. Again, it probably get's back to being scared of the rambo rulers there.. Who wouldn't be?
4) I don't think their attitude are Christ-like servant, because the observance ideology is actually likened to: millions of people loyal to one source - the communist party, but millions of people do not care about each other unless they fall within 5 kinds of relationship - kings and officers, father and sons, husband and wives, teacher and students, as well as friends and enemies. Strangers do not have any relationship amongst themselves. In Christianity, Jesus teaches us to love strangers and He died for strangers' sins. Samaritan parable about neighborhood love in Luke gospel does not exist in traditional value in China. Therefore, you may see that the streets and places in China is so dirty. People do not have love for strangers (they don't understand why they should love to keep clean the places where are not their homes at all! see?)
Ok thank you Oriental... It is interesting though how the American Chinese flourish here. Ok, sometimes they are not too clean.. But they take their work ethic very seriously here.. Education is also very important to them and they are very respectful here..
I really don't know how they can voice their opinions. Walmart is said to have organised labor union in China, but the problem is the traditional value of Chinese people who don't know that they have the rights to complain at all, and worse still, they don't get accustomed to complain! How pitiful they are! they are educated for thousands of years in their minds: don't complain and be good boys in schools, family, and as a citizens just like getting poisoned in their minds!
Yes, that is quite sad... I see this too.. Many of the higher ups say that the U.S. are simply evil people and are liars... Therefore they are not to be trusted. It almost justifies their reasonings.. I don't see why.. America only wants to help not hurt...
the simplest way to understand China is: imagine a Rambo, finishing his glory in Vietnam war, comes back and grasps power in USA, and being a soldier himself, his policy is: every American has, and is forced, to be a soldier to see the world. How crazy it is!
Yes, but isn't this more of the communist rambo's talking here? Not the actual people...

Thank again Oriental ..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Oriental
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: Quite terrible culture in China that shatters myths.

Post by Oriental »

Gman wrote: Ok, I didn't know that... But aren't the communists taxing the people of HK in some way or providing government services such as education and defense?
As regards the military force, communists send liberation army to station in HK for defense.

As regards the political systems, HK allows multi-party political structure in the government provided that no subversion or sabotage is present.

As regards the taxation, HK follows different taxation laws and is a jurisdiction with Common Law as the basis, in line with the Commonwealth Countries. China does not follow Common Law, and is a different jurisdiction.

As regards the education, HK allows teaching materials of all sorts, (principally for profiteering, irrespective of any political content. No censorship over the content of teaching materials is imposed) In China, only politically-correct materials are allowed to instructors.

Gman wrote:
Interesting... The way it is portrayed here is that people have a choice to be either with the party or not be with it. I didn't think there was a capitalist party per say, but my sources claimed (mostly through T.V.) that people were given this choice.. Ultimately however, they were still required to pay taxes to it. But maybe not to the same measure as a communist member... Also, my understanding is that they wouldn't have the same benefits as a communist member either..
It is true that communist members have special authority and privilege in career. My firm allows only communists to be key members (I am not a communist member; they hire me just because of my professional qualification in ACCA since the firm has been listed in HK).

Gman wrote:
Hmmm, perhaps I'm seeing it different then. I live reasonably close to San Francisco and Chinatown. The Chinese are always considered to be hard workers and flourish greatly under the capitalist blanket here.. Of course some are poor too. But in my opinion, they are some of the nicest people and are very happy to please their guests... They are also very grateful for their work..
I think they are grateful for their work because the work is fruitful to them, making them flourish. IN China, hard work doesn't mean that it is fruitful (as you have mentioned; under Walmart's policy, the Chinese workers seem to live the hard life for the rest of their lives). Don't they complain? It seems that their educational qualification in the Chinese schools are not recognized (e.g. a typical school is an ordinary military school praisng communists and under communists' ideology; a lot of sensitive materials are discarded) in US firms or even HK firms. The fact is that work is few and people are abundant. To grasp certain chance to earn high salary just because of professionalism and specialization is not a commonplace to my knowledge. There are PRC professional accountants and lawyers. their pay-scale is low. I don't know. probably the consumption power in China is weak.

Gman wrote: Perhaps this is different over there, I don't know since I've never been to China.. I can understand however how they wouldn't be grateful to the aggressive communist party though. I don't think anyone would..
I think the problem is that they compare their standard of living and income too intensively with the western world, but the historical background makes their economic condition at an early stage and under-developing. They are grouchy about the status quo. They won't be grateful to the government which they think are incapable of governing the country well and making it affluent. They are afraid of the government though. They are military force actually, not one as civilized as you may perceive like US white house.
Gman wrote: Yes, I believe that the U.S. government is right too.. My only wish is that China becomes a democracy too.. Again, it probably get's back to being scared of the rambo rulers there.. Who wouldn't be?
Nice to hear that you are so interested to ask and respond. Yes, US government challenge is quite right. I think democracy in China is almost impossible, unless, and only if, the traditional value changes radically. It is not the system nor a question whether there is referendum available for poll. It is the thought, the mindset, ideology and value in the people's mind that makes them suitable or not and to get accustomed to the real meaning of democracy. Whey they cast a vote for a candidate to be a Chinese President, at least, they have to be conscientious to ask "why?", and have insight about how it may affect the society, which involves thousands and millions of strangers - a kind of love that requires Christian faith - but unfortunately absent in Confucius education.

There is defect in Chinese traditional value. Unfortunately, when war ends, the communists in peace-time worsen by strengthening the defective side of traditional value - friend-or-enemy absolutism. [a phillosophy that: there are only two colors in the world - black or white; one that a soldier should have in battle: only win-or-lose]

Gman wrote: Ok thank you Oriental... It is interesting though how the American Chinese flourish here. Ok, sometimes they are not too clean.. But they take their work ethic very seriously here.. Education is also very important to them and they are very respectful here..

Yes, that is quite sad... I see this too.. Many of the higher ups say that the U.S. are simply evil people and are liars... Therefore they are not to be trusted. It almost justifies their reasonings.. I don't see why.. America only wants to help not hurt...
Hm. I have no comment. The Chineses in China-town think quite differently I think. They have better rein over their future and not influenced by any power or authority that confines their choices. Environment counts a lot that makes difference between a Chinese in China and a Chinese in China-town in USA, I can tell.

Thank you for your interest in these.

Oriental.