Cussing

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Canuckster1127 wrote:crikey - euphemism for Christ, first recorded 1838.

Most using it, probably don't realize the origin but we do the same thing in the US to avoid using the name of Christ as a swear word in expressions such as "by Jove" or "Jiminy Cricket."
'Jove' comes from Latin Iuppiter, stem Iov-. Jupiter isn't Christ, is he?
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Turgonian wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:crikey - euphemism for Christ, first recorded 1838.

Most using it, probably don't realize the origin but we do the same thing in the US to avoid using the name of Christ as a swear word in expressions such as "by Jove" or "Jiminy Cricket."
'Jove' comes from Latin Iuppiter, stem Iov-. Jupiter isn't Christ, is he?
That's true.

It's debatable and as hope came through, I don't judge anyone on the use of euphemisms. I just gave my own personal practice. There's a lot of euphemisms out there and roots that people aren't aware of. They don't necessarily mean anything by it. Just like the use of Crikey! I bet it's so ingrained into Australian culture than no-one really questions or cares about the roots of it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

How about seemingly innocent ones like "mercy" or "goodness"? While they don't directly use God's name, they, in their origin, are used to call God as a Covenant witness, and done so in vain.

We (including myself) have a long way to go to train our consciences in obedience to Him.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/