Movies

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Movies

Post by FFC »

I may be showing my young age here, but what's sling blade?
It's a movie that was written and directed by Billy Bob Thornton...who also plays the main charactor. It is a very moving story about a developementally retarded charactor who kills his mother and her lover as a child and is released from a mental institution as an adult. I'm not a big Billy Bob Thornton fan but he plays an excellent role in this movie.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Harry12345
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Harry12345 »

zoegirl wrote: Princess Bride
!!!!!
I love that movie! :D :o 8)
Last edited by Harry12345 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Enigma7457 wrote:sorry, zoe, but i only recognized maybe one or two movies on your list. Makes me feel young again.
Let me guess....young frankenstein and airplane? I would think with your sense of humor you should find when they are on TV (they are both relatively benign but moreso on TV) They were made in the seventies....

Casa blanca....good movie!! And who could beat Alfred Hitchcock for good suspense and thrillS?

And Les Miserables is not old but it is an awesome movie showing grace and redemption
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

Actually only Airplane. Sorry.

Didn't even watch it.

But the best of all has to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the new animated one in theatres
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Ah, yes, a different generation.... :D

TMNT are definitely not part of my generation.
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

zoegirl wrote:Ah, yes, a different generation.... :D

TMNT are definitely not part of my generation.
Zoe girl... congratulations on getting 500 posts, btw. :lol:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Wow,

500...cool...well 503 :D
YaDinka
Acquainted Member

Post by YaDinka »

i'm glad a thread like this exists here, when i asked "am i welcome here" this is why. i want opinions of christians on things like this; art, movies, music, literature, beauty, ect. the 'real' stuff so to speak (lol). i assume i can not change your opinions of origin ect, so i (will still try) also seek your opinions on stuff i like. your brains work different then mine to say the least.

i would also like to state that one of the reasons i am here is because i am trying to become a director/screenwriter; (so i am very interested in cinema) and the script i am currently writing is purposing what would happen if jesus (or any messiah) was around my age (26) right now in 2007. how his fatherless common existance would transpire in our current (rather cruel in my opinion) environment.

so i would like to ask what some of you think of some faith inspired movies.

what do you guys think of 'cool hand luke', 'don't look now', 'the seventh seal', 'midnight cowboy', 'the exorcist'. those are just a few that i think can get us started perhaps.

as far as '300' goes... i saw it in the theatre. what a poor movie, if cinema is the true art of subtly, '300' was a hammer hitting you on the head to drive home the points. if you haven't seen it and plan on it... check your brain at the door, it's not needed.
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

zoegirl wrote:Wow,

500...cool...well 503 :D
Actually, when you posted that, you were only on 502. :lol: :P
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

as far as '300' goes... i saw it in the theatre. what a poor movie, if cinema is the true art of subtly, '300' was a hammer hitting you on the head to drive home the points. if you haven't seen it and plan on it... check your brain at the door, it's not needed.
Agreed, your brain is not necessarily needed to watch 300 (a lot fighting, not much thinking).

But the overall message behind the movie (perhaps not behind the actual movie, but behind the events behind the movie) is powerful (at least to me). knowing you are going to die and still going to fight. Incredible.

AND, being one interested in the CG behind movies, i found it doubly interesting that the ENTIRE movie was filmed inside a warehouse. Neat. :lol:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Welcome,

Jesus was not fatherless during His time on earth. Joseph was his "father" and would have acted as such. In all capacities, teaching, caring, helping. To make a movie such as yours, you must tweak it to say include a stepfather, a caring and devoted stepfather at that.

Also, the time of Christ in Roman society was no piece of cake. It would have been just as cruel to live "fatherless" then. Witness the cruelty of the Roman empire to those in the colosseum, treatment of the poor...

In any time period, Christ came to comfort and bring salvation to a depraved, corrupt world.

As Ecclesiastes says "Nothing new under the sun".

I must confess, I have only seen little clips of the exorcist and from what little I have seen, it is a stupid waste of film. Haven't seen the others either

What sorts of questions were you thinking of with regard to these movies?
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

I must confess, I have only seen little clips of the exorcist and from what little I have seen, it is a stupid waste of film. Haven't seen the others either
I have to agree about the excorcist. I didn't find it very enjoyable.

However, maybe watch the excorcism of emily rose. I'm not sure how it fits in to the entire aspect of christianity, but it has some good points (ie, she suffers so others will believe).
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Enigma7457 wrote:
I have to agree about the excorcist. I didn't find it very enjoyable.

However, maybe watch the excorcism of emily rose. I'm not sure how it fits in to the entire aspect of christianity, but it has some good points (ie, she suffers so others will believe).

One of the Bible teachers at school found that to be fascinating as a subject but agreed that the movie was not the most well-done. But he found the topic more "accurate" (?) than other exorcist movies.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I liked the Exorcist. I cringe now as a christian at the vulgarity of the Demon possessed Linda Blare...but I think that was the writer's and director's point. To be honest I cringe at the lengthy scourging of Jesus scene in Mel Gibson's "The Passion", but it also drives home a point. Both are honest portrayals, if not a tad bit overboard.

I'm not Catholic, but this movie certainly impressed in me a strong distinction between good and evil, right and wrong...as well as a reminder of the continuing epic battle between the things of God and the things of The Devil.

Just my opinion
FFC
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
andyredeemed
Recognized Member

Post by andyredeemed »

Am I the only person in Christiandom who hasn't seen The Passion of the Christ?
I want to watch it back to back with "The Life of Brian", and see if they cancel each other out.
Seriously though, I watched Life of Brian when I was a teenager, and even now think that it pokes wonderful fun at religous lunatics everywhere. I didn't think it was particularly disrespectful of Christ, since it was made clear that the events in the film where contemporary with Jesus, but not about him. Another film I loved was one that starred Steve Martin as a con artist posing as a faith healer, although I can't remember what it was called.
In case you all think I'm a complete heretic, I watched "Amazing Grace" and thought that it was an excellent movie, and I hate most horror movies, 'cos they just carry a really ugly spirit. I won't even talk to you if you enjoyed "The Hostel".(I haven't seen that one, BTW)
God is good