sentimental childhood memories

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
madscientist
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: sentimental childhood memories

Post by madscientist »

Hmm sentimental memories... who doesn't have these??! When i look back at those things. However, for me it is also places. Where i used to live... it is MY DREAM toi go and visit the part of town i lived when i was 0-4. I remember the shop; the flat! the living room, the kitchen, the old orange teleophone where you had to "ring" it, how i used to call a man called "Barry", how I was in my room, neighbors, when my cousins came etc... How everything seemed so innocent and nice when we were so young. WHy does it have to go away??! :pound: Childhood is pretty when we look back.
Actually - a post/topic I wished to put on... ;) why is it that we often look back and everything seems that past was so nice? It is this paradox: at the time, things are OK. Now i kinda wish it were 2003 let's say. But in 2003 i looked back at "good old golden times" of 1999. In two years i will wish it were today and so on. Looks like this will always be so. Nevertheless - when we go through harsh periods of life, we often do not wish them to be. But even so it looks like a dream. Yes; i wish it were 1993 and i was the child i was back then... or even less. To re-live what we have. But with the current knowledge of course that is what everyone says ;)
But even if these memories are not as nice, we kinda wish it were back then... paradox is of course, that back then it did not seem as sweet and dream-like. Why is this? Something necessary? Pessimism?? :lol: Don't think so; everyone says that past was so nice. Does it happen to you as well? I am sure it does! :)

But why is it like it? Me, when i think about this i just think of heaven, where we will not be regretful of anything. I imagine that what we had gone through may be nice but heaven will be forever. But will be aware we are there forever? Will we think "hehe we gonna b here forever" or is it like we are there but won't have memories? Off-topic anyway. But this thing with past memories is striking. There must be some reason. Does it mean we live worse now? We are older? Or, simply because our memories change - they "deform"? For example, when we don't see someone or something for a long time and we remember, as time passes we remember less and we "make up" or "fill" in the missing info. So yeah our memories are less accurate. But the question is - why does past now seems so innocent and better and we wish it were in the past nowadays, but at the time it seemed normal and we were not so joyful about it? Did our perspective change? Same with bad memories - now we go back and laugh when for example we did something but now it's past and doesn't haunt us any more...

Any thoughts?? :P
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-