Meat

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Meat

Post by cslewislover »

Yes, this is very standard Christian doctrine, that we can eat things the jews were told not to. Jenna, you really need to check on other sources for your infomation. This is just one of those simple things that shouldn't even be debated anymore, lol (I mean anywhere, not just here). We have freedom in Christ. Or is that just some fluffy saying? We are not to abuse our freedom, but we are given a freedom.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:An you are among the minority here
And your point is...? What does that have to do with anything?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Jenna thinks she's an Israelite, hence her unbiblical ideas about pork, blood, shellfish and so on. She's a member of a religion that espouses British-Israelism. That is, she believes that some of the white nations of Europe and the lands they colonized - more specifically the British Commonwealth - were settled by Israelite tribes. According to this twisted theology, today's Jews are the descendants of the tribe of Judah. The other eleven Israelite tribes morphed into the white nations of the world as we now know it.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

jenna wrote:
Sorry, let me rephrase, we *have* gone over this and this *does* go against CHrstian doctrine. YOu are in the minority with regards to very orthodox Christian dcotrine.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:
jenna wrote:
Sorry, let me rephrase, we *have* gone over this and this *does* go against CHrstian doctrine. YOu are in the minority with regards to very orthodox Christian dcotrine.
Actually, I thought alot about what you said, and even though I believe it may have been intended for an insult, I don't take it that way. In fact, I actually have to say thank you. Does not the bible say to "come out of this world, and be not partaker of her sins"? Since the "world" would definitely be considered the "majority" instead of minority, I actually agree and am glad I'm a minority.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
ugo
Familiar Member
Sex: Male

Post by ugo »

Hi Meat

Just some questions about the Old testament laws.
If we are required to follow all the laws both the commandments and the civil and other laws then we had better get some stones and find some gay people as the law states that we should stone them. The same with adultery and many other areas where death was allowed because of a particular sin.
Of course we should not do these things. This is what happens when we become "legalistic".
Jesus called the "legalistic" Jews vipers and hypocrites.
Often Christians are freed from thier sin only to be captured in the laws.
The only laws we are commanded to follow are the big Ten.
Its only with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are we able to become more Christlike and so meet the requirements of the law while knowing we will "miss the mark", which we call sin.
If we want to be technical(or imprisoned by the law) we should only eat fruit and vegies as God stated this would be our "meat". I have met a Christian, a vegetarian who espoused this view.
When we come to Christ we are free from our sins but are commanded to follow Christs Commandments. What are these? The 10 big ones and the ones about love. Jesus was killed (amongst many reasons) because he broke the law of working on the sabbath. He healed on the sabbath. Thus He had worked on the Holy Day. Plus the commandment as far as I know says remember the Sabbath. I believe we should do this every day and keep it Holy but only through the freedom of Grace.
In the end whether to eat pork or not is an individual conscious decision by each Christian and makes no difference to your Salvation and your maturity in Christ.
Let me know what you think. Anyone.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

ugo wrote:Often Christians are freed from thier sin only to be captured in the laws.
Well said! I'll have to remember that.
ugo wrote:The only laws we are commanded to follow are the big Ten.
I would disagree with this. More specifically, I disagree with the word commanded but I understand the spirit of what you are saying because in the very next sentence you say,
ugo wrote:Its only with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are we able to become more Christlike and so meet the requirements of the law while knowing we will "miss the mark", which we call sin.
We will never meet the requirement of the Law. If a born-again Christian wants to follow dietary laws as a testament - as a covenant - to his personal faith, I'm OK with that. The problem I have is when Christians say «You must do _____________ as a witness of your salvation». Such an attitute isn't biblical. (It is a very human attitude, though!)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

ugo wrote:If we want to be technical (or imprisoned by the law) we should only eat fruit and vegies as God stated this would be our "meat". I have met a Christian, a vegetarian who espoused this view.
Hi Ugo. I agree with what you say basically, except this, since with the Noahic covenant, God gave humans meat for food. We were to eat fruits and vegetables only before the flood, then after the flood God gave us the animals for food too (and so they became afraid of us; Genesis 9:1-3). In this covenant, God actually said: "Everything that lives and moves shall be food for you" (3a). There were no restrictions as this time, and we don't have any restrictions now.

From Galatians

After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? (3:2b). Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? (3:5).

Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. The scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentils by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed though you." So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith." (3:6-9).

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in teh Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit (3:10-14).

The law, introduced 430 years later [after Abraham], does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise. What then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed [Jesus] to whom the promise referred to had come (3:17b-19a).

So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law (3:24).

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. . . . You who are trying to be justified by law have been aliented from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. . . . The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love (5:1, 4, 5b).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

jenna wrote:
zoegirl wrote:
jenna wrote:
Actually, I thought alot about what you said, and even though I believe it may have been intended for an insult, I don't take it that way. In fact, I actually have to say thank you. Does not the bible say to "come out of this world, and be not partaker of her sins"? Since the "world" would definitely be considered the "majority" instead of minority, I actually agree and am glad I'm a minority.

No, I didn't intend it for insult, more perhaps a weary hasty answer, my second reply was more accurate and reflected the meaning of my comment. It's fine that you speak out but this does go against the very essence of what Christ did. Insisting that we must check off certain rules places us back into bondage *to* the law.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

As Christians, we are to imitate the life of Christ and strive to be like Him. To say that we are no longer "in bondage" to the law makes His sacrifice of no importance. The reason He died was that we would no longer be under the death penalty. He very plainly states that He did not come to "do away" with the law, but to fulfill it. The only "law" that was done away with was the sacrificial laws, since man had already had the ultimate sacrifice paid.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by BavarianWheels »

jenna wrote:As Christians, we are to imitate the life of Christ and strive to be like Him. To say that we are no longer "in bondage" to the law makes His sacrifice of no importance. The reason He died was that we would no longer be under the death penalty. He very plainly states that He did not come to "do away" with the law, but to fulfill it. The only "law" that was done away with was the sacrificial laws, since man had already had the ultimate sacrifice paid.
I'll drink a smoothie to that! :)