I have a problem...

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: I have a problem...

Post by zoegirl »

Yes I did, and I still think you are too strong in your language.

YOu accused her of not being devout before revealing that she was at a low point in her life. Without knowing more of her situation, you were willing to go after one part of the OP and attack her devotion. You admit that your tone is ragged and "sandpaper". IT would seem to me that instead of trying to explain away your tone you would work at it.

akl wrote:By saying devoted, I by no means meant that I don't make mistakes or that I do the right thing in every situation. No one can or should claim that. I started in this relationship during a major low point in my life and faith. Since then, I have grown in my faith, and I have also grown to love my boyfriend. By "devoted", I meant that I'm committed to my relationship with God, He is number 1 in my life. I really don't think that saying "devoted" makes me hypocritical or whatever you meant by your post. It's a word I would use to describe my relationship with Christ. I think that it's a little presumptuous of you to assume that I'm not a committed Christian because of something that I am recognizing as a problem in my life. I'm not trying to yell at you, I'm just trying to explain how your post came off to me.

Don't know why you felt like you needed to attack a believer's faith when she already was askign for advice.

It is a common struggle, one that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's "amount" of faith or devotion.

You want her to be ableto take criticism. So you should be able to take a "hey, don't be so strong in your language"....
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I akl, just wanted to add a bit of personal testimony to the reasons that have been given.

Most of what I have posted here comes from watching my parents who, if not an example of being yoked to an unbeliever, is a example of what happens when one spouse is not interested in spiritual matters. I don't know how to classify my dad, I sincerely hope that he is a Christian, but it is something that he never really talks about and he is not interested in church or learning more. . My mom became a CHristian after marriage and even someone who "respects" your beliefs is unsatidfying in a marriage. There have been many many times where I have driven over to my parents and have taken her to church bcause she wants to go and he doesn't.

That would be a good example of "tolerance" and it isn't enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, he is a wonderful man, gentle, smart, funny, and, yes, tolerant. But I wish he showed more interest.

And let me tell you, seeing that lack of zeakl has made me realize that I do want to find a man who loves GOd and enjoys talking about Him, and loves singing, and loves praying, and loves reading about Him.

Breaking off with him would be hard...and I completely empathize with you, and you make sure that you are being supportive in the friends you have that are Christian. YOu haven't mentioned church, if you do have a home church, then se if you can find a Godly woman who can pray with you and support you, or a Godly couple that you can befriend.

And, if you love him, to be fair, he deserves someone as well who agrees with him.
akl
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by akl »

zoegirl wrote:Breaking off with him would be hard...and I completely empathize with you, and you make sure that you are being supportive in the friends you have that are Christian. YOu haven't mentioned church, if you do have a home church, then se if you can find a Godly woman who can pray with you and support you, or a Godly couple that you can befriend.
This is part of my problem...I go to a college that is pretty intolerant of my beliefs, both political and religious, so I don't have friends that are supportive of me in either of those areas. I have my mom and sister praying for me, but that's not really the same...I do have a home church, but it's enormous, so it's kind of difficult to get close to individual people. Could you pray for me?
rodyshusband
Established Member
Sex: Male

Post by rodyshusband »

akl, I understand and emphasize with your position.
It must be difficult feeling you are in the middle of the "wilderness", out of touch with support in your beliefs. Although it may seem like you are alone, I am sure there are like minded believers at your college. Finding them may be difficult, but they are there. Apologetic leaders such as William Lane Craig and Ravi Zacharias present solid arguments for the faith on college campus on a regular basis. Visit their websites for information and support...
I can relate strongly to your statement that arguing your faith makes you stronger in your faith. I welcome non-believers questions and objections and I embrace debates on the subject. The recent Craig/Hitchens debate was awesome. If you are looking to strengthen your faith this way, I suggest you do it elsewhere, away from close relationships...it simply doesn't work. Your emotional ties to your boyfriend will stand in the way. An effective argument is often destroyed when our emotions get in the way!
I am curious about what your boyfriend sees in you. Why would he want to pursue a relationship with someone who has a relationship with someone else (you and God)? He may look at you as a wonderful person who is "just a little nuts", dismisses your faith as non-threatening to the relationship.
At any rate, you also have us, here on the forums, as a system of support. Speaking for many here, you are always welcomed and we will always be here for you. y[-o< y[-o< y[-o<
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

akl wrote:
zoegirl wrote:Breaking off with him would be hard...and I completely empathize with you, and you make sure that you are being supportive in the friends you have that are Christian. YOu haven't mentioned church, if you do have a home church, then se if you can find a Godly woman who can pray with you and support you, or a Godly couple that you can befriend.
This is part of my problem...I go to a college that is pretty intolerant of my beliefs, both political and religious, so I don't have friends that are supportive of me in either of those areas. I have my mom and sister praying for me, but that's not really the same...I do have a home church, but it's enormous, so it's kind of difficult to get close to individual people. Could you pray for me?
Absolutely I will pray for you!! Is there an Intervarsity or other campus ministries? I also went to a secular UNiv. and the first semester was miserable. Second semester I went to the CAmpus Crusade and found some friends.Check the college website, usually een the most secular universaity will have a campus ministries link.

Take heart
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

The other thing you chec k is with local churches that have active college sunday schools o bible studies. Many churches have developed ministries specifically for college students. ]