Leviticus 19:28 says Tatoos are a No No

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Leviticus 19:28 says Tatoos are a No No

Post by Gman »

I would not think that having a tattoo would infringe on one's salvation. I believe it would have something to do with one's moral compass however. God wanted his people to be set apart from the heathen nations. We should not to judge others that have them, but frankly I find tattoos to be idiotic and childish. No offense here...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

ageofknowledge wrote:
DannyM wrote:That's me in trouble: I've got a tattoo going from my right hand all the way up the arm and a little way up on my neck. A bit like Clooney in Dusk 'til Dawn. I've regretted going down my hand and up my neck ever since; should have kept away from these areas.
Sounds like a full sleeve +. You should have hung around me back in the day. I made my guys all go clean sleeve. No tats = less trouble. Tat removal is expensive. There are numerous Christian organizations here in SoCal springing up offering free or low cost tat removal as a ministry now. I don't know where you are at but you should check into that. Here's an example: http://www.tattooremoval.org/Find%20a%20Provider.htm

Just getting hands, feet, neck and head clear is worth looking into removal. To be able to put on business casual or a suit and not have anyone know almost puts you back to square one. Peace.
Cheers Age. Apart from the hands and neck I like the tattoo. I think I will get the hand and neck taken care of, not so sure about the arm. Cheers for the link - maybe when I'm next in NY I'll reconsider I'll take a look.

Peace
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:I would not think that having a tattoo would infringe on one's salvation. I believe it would have something to do with one's moral compass however. God wanted his people to be set apart from the heathen nations. We should not to judge others that have them, but frankly I find tattoos to be idiotic and childish. No offense here...
It's a moot point after Jesus' coming, Gman.

As for idiotic...I can agree with that. Childish? No. Grown men, adults, highly educated beings have chosen to have a tattoo out of taste. Now, you may disagree with this being a tasteful thing, and you can call it idiotic, but to call it childish doesn't really stand up.

Peace
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote:
Gman wrote:I would not think that having a tattoo would infringe on one's salvation. I believe it would have something to do with one's moral compass however. God wanted his people to be set apart from the heathen nations. We should not to judge others that have them, but frankly I find tattoos to be idiotic and childish. No offense here...
It's a moot point after Jesus' coming, Gman.

As for idiotic...I can agree with that. Childish? No. Grown men, adults, highly educated beings have chosen to have a tattoo out of taste. Now, you may disagree with this being a tasteful thing, and you can call it idiotic, but to call it childish doesn't really stand up.

Peace
Maybe that was a bit harsh... I'm just not hip on the whole thing I guess. Call me old fashioned. ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:
Maybe that was a bit harsh... I'm just not hip on the whole thing I guess. Call me old fashioned. ;)
Yeah I thought it was "hip" once... Nah: "stoopid" I think is more accurate :shakehead:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Shouldn't this be in another forum, like Questions for Christians, of Christian Theology?
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

cslewislover wrote:Shouldn't this be in another forum, like Questions for Christians, of Christian Theology?
Dunno really, Cslewislover, it's not really meaty enough for a theological debate is it? I suppose it could fit under "Questions for Christians" but it would be dealt with rather swiftly, as it already has been. I think. y:-?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

DannyM wrote:
cslewislover wrote:Shouldn't this be in another forum, like Questions for Christians, of Christian Theology?
Dunno really, Cslewislover, it's not really meaty enough for a theological debate is it? I suppose it could fit under "Questions for Christians" but it would be dealt with rather swiftly, as it already has been. I think. y:-?
It is a Christian issue, though, and not a general one, so I'm going to move it. I just kind-of wanted to warn people, lol.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

cslewislover wrote:
DannyM wrote:
It is a Christian issue, though, and not a general one, so I'm going to move it. I just kind-of wanted to warn people, lol.
ooops! Okay Mr. Boss Man. I didn't mean to challenge you; thought you were just slinging the question out there. :oops:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

DannyM wrote:
ooops! Okay Mr. Boss Man. I didn't mean to challenge you; thought you were just slinging the question out there. :oops:
You didn't salute when you said that. :salute:
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

cslewislover wrote:
DannyM wrote:
:pound: Can't find a "salute" thingy on the right hand side so will give you a big warm hug from a big warm Christian y>:D<

So, err, where's the "salute" man, CS L?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

DannyM wrote:
cslewislover wrote:
DannyM wrote:
:pound: Can't find a "salute" thingy on the right hand side so will give you a big warm hug from a big warm Christian y>:D<

We all need hugs, huh? y>:D<

On the right side is the smilies quick menu, but at the bottom of that there's a "View more smilies" that you can click, and it brings up another smilies window. Have fun!
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

cslewislover wrote:
DannyM wrote:
cslewislover wrote:
DannyM wrote:

We all need hugs, huh? y>:D<

On the right side is the smilies quick menu, but at the bottom of that there's a "View more smilies" that you can click, and it brings up another smilies window. Have fun!
Good grief, how good is that! Did I mention I'm a slow learner...but I get there in the end!

I like these two... :lalala: :guns: Right, enough playing from me. Thanks CS L :salute:

Dan
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Danny,

God is going to present you without stain or wrinkle. And while this is obviously regarding spiritual cleanness, our new bodies will also be undefiled with any of the ways of man. Since you regret your tats, and God is going to wipe away every tear, I imagine you will be clean inside and out.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

DannyM wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:
DannyM wrote:That's me in trouble: I've got a tattoo going from my right hand all the way up the arm and a little way up on my neck. A bit like Clooney in Dusk 'til Dawn. I've regretted going down my hand and up my neck ever since; should have kept away from these areas.
Sounds like a full sleeve +. You should have hung around me back in the day. I made my guys all go clean sleeve. No tats = less trouble. Tat removal is expensive. There are numerous Christian organizations here in SoCal springing up offering free or low cost tat removal as a ministry now. I don't know where you are at but you should check into that. Here's an example: http://www.tattooremoval.org/Find%20a%20Provider.htm

Just getting hands, feet, neck and head clear is worth looking into removal. To be able to put on business casual or a suit and not have anyone know almost puts you back to square one. Peace.
Cheers Age. Apart from the hands and neck I like the tattoo. I think I will get the hand and neck taken care of, not so sure about the arm. Cheers for the link - maybe when I'm next in NY I'll reconsider I'll take a look.

Peace
Good for you! Just clean the hand and the neck and you're good to go. Turn the rest of the sleeve over to God as testimony for what He's doing in your life. In fact, have a couple brothers at church lay hands on it and pray it will be used by God to help others. Then you can put each person you share your testimony with in that way on that sleeve and it becomes Holy and good. That's how my God works :) . Something we regret gets used for the Holy work of helping others and before we know it we don't regret it anymore. It will end up being a plus in your life I know it. Peace.