Simple Question

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Simple Question

Post by jlay »

I could teach about God apart from the bible. But I wouldn't teach about God apart from the bible. Not exclusively anyway. There are a multitude of resources Christians use to teach about God that are outside of the bible. This website is full of them. Jac teaches from a philisophical perspective. Others use a myriad of apologetic resources. But, none would do that to the exclusion of the bible. And for good reason. Afterall it does claim divine inspiration. "All scripture is God breathed."

The same way, I wouldn't teach math apart from the textbook. That doesn't mean I actually have the text in front of me, but I would rely and depend on it nonetheless.

Obviously through history, the truth of God has been taught throught the oral tradition, prophetic revelation, and the written word. The fact is that we are in the time of the written word. The word gospel actually means good NEWS. The Bible is a remarkable document. It is the most scrutinized work on the planet. And through that scrutiny, we know that we have a text that is rock solid. And all denominations can build from this one solid truth.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

jlay wrote:The Bible is a remarkable document. It is the most scrutinized work on the planet. And through that scrutiny, we know that we have a text that is rock solid. And all denominations can build from this one solid truth.
Exactamundo! The bible still stands today, after all this scrutiny, unscathed, the solid truth of the Word of God.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Manfer84 wrote:
jlay wrote:Without a newspaper there is no news. That's silly.
The bible is a reality because God is a reality.
You are right, if God is a reality then of course the Bible is real, but where did you get the first statement “God is reality”?. Let's put it this way better, what other way can someone “know” the Christian God without the Bible, can you go and teach about God to some natives somewhere (that of course don't have any idea about your religion) without the Bible?.

And if there wasn't newspaper, you could “see” the news using any other kind of media outlet. So the newspaper is just one small source for news with no more validity than the others. So I don't see how that example counts.
Hi Manfer.

By "real" I assume you mean "true"? Just because God is real does not mean the Bible is true. However, having faith in the words of the Bible is something a Christian need to decide upon. One can still be saved through Christ and not believe every word of the Bible. Furthermore, the Bible is pieced together from manuscripts and recordings. The Gospels are each an account of Christ. If God exists, then it takes Him reaching out to us in some way in order for us to know He exists.

Scripture also says God can be known through what has been made leaving us with no excuse, however those who turn away and rebel get hardened and blinded. (Romans 1:20-21) Did you know the story of Christ appears to be also quite literally written on the stars? I recommend reading over Gman's thread, and taking a look over the online videos linked to there.

Finally, missionaries have gone out to natives and they often already have a belief in spirits and a belief in one over-arching super being. From books I've read of missionaries, it is often a simple matter of putting their beliefs into a real historical context and the pieces come together.

We as Christians believe in a personal God. As such God does not just sit back, but rather personally interacts with His creation. To those who believe in Scripture, the Bible is considered God's special revelation, penned by various men who were lead by God throughout history. If someone seeks God through a natural means, then I'd expect God who wants to draw each of us to Himself, would provide a means.