Noah's ark "discovery'...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Noah's ark 'discovery'...

Post by Gman »

Here is AIG's response...

"What also makes AiG so cautious about the latest report is that we have heard such claims several times before, even as they were made by people who described themselves as Bible-believing Christians. Some “discoveries” were eventually dismissed as structures of geologic origin and were not of wood. The “crying wolf” syndrome has already kicked in this week, as non-believers are dismissing this Ark claim as yet another bogus one. The creationist movement in general will have its credibility undermined further if this Ark-remnant is shown to be a fraud, and thus the testimony we seek to have in the world will be hindered.

Adding to our skepticism about the find is (as we have stated before) that the volcanic activity on the mountains of Ararat as well as several earthquakes make it doubtful that even parts of a wooden structure could have survived for over 4,300 years. Furthermore, much of the wood would have most likely been scavenged right after the Flood to erect forms of shelter and to build fires, etc. Also, as we look at the photos of this latest proposed Ark, we do not see evidence of the wood being coated with pitch (as Genesis 6:14 indicates). Other items seen in the photos are suspicious-looking as well; we will have more to say about our doubts on Saturday's posting."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... uiries-ark
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Noah's ark "discovery'...

Post by touchingcloth »

For the technically-minded amongst you, a WHOIS result for the website of Noah's Ark Ministries International shows that their site was only created about 6 weeks ago (March-11th)

Code: Select all

Domain Name: NOAHSARKSEARCH.NET
   Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.onlinenic.com
   Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
   Name Server: NS1.DNS-DIY.NET
   Name Server: NS2.DNS-DIY.NET
   Updated Date: 10-mar-2010
   Creation Date: 10-mar-2010
   Expiration Date: 10-mar-2011
Also, a google news search for "Noah's Ark Ministries International" throws up no results older than April-26th.

Something's definitely fishy here...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

what is the approx. date for the flood according to OEC? Approx. 4500 years ago is the YEC estimate, correct? So, the ark would probably be much older than 4500 years. Don't forget that people after the flood would have probably taken advantage of the wood for their own use.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:what is the approx. date for the flood according to OEC? Approx. 4500 years ago is the YEC estimate, correct? So, the ark would probably be much older than 4500 years. Don't forget that people after the flood would have probably taken advantage of the wood for their own use.
OEC dates it to 30-40,000 years ago based on the presumption that humanity had not yet spread out from Mesopotamia. Possible "ark" sites for the progressive creationists are in the Northern Mesopotamian and Lake Van areas. If the ark was found on mount Ararat (which I doubt) it would be a blow to our theories for sure.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Telstra Robs
Established Member

Post by Telstra Robs »

Let us wait until independent scientists can analyse the find. I find it irresponsible of both the media and the archaeological team to have published such a story and let it be published respectively before waiting for such analysis to happen. The fact that a documentary maker was with the team does not wash with me, though it would be good to not dismiss the find outright until there's actual evidence against it or for it.

To those who know of the alleged find, I implore you not to spread it until it is validated or dismissed.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

From national geographic. Noah's Ark Found in Turkey?

The expedition team is "99.9 percent" sure. Others, well, aren't.

//news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/100428-noahs-ark-found-in-turkey-science-religion-culture/

Looks like the ark came equipped with 4 thousand year old hay too... Now we just need the visitation of bigfoot and and nessy to seal the deal. ;)

Telstra Robs
Established Member

Post by Telstra Robs »

I know that wood can petrify, but hay? I haven't been told anything to the contrary though, so I guess research would be needed.
WConn
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by WConn »

Not trying to be a jerk here. If there was anything that impressed me about the Bible it was the dimensions of Noah's Ark which I thought conformed pretty much to what is the best ratio/dimension of a modern ocean going vessel. That being said, I captured and enlarged the picture a few entries above and it appears to me that there is a drawing on the left upper quadrant of the front of what appears to be a wooden block of some sort. It actually looked like a "Kilroy was here" type drawing. That would be a face with a big nose and the words "Kilroy was here." This became a common theme by a particular GI during WW2 named Kilroy. There does appear to be some sort of writing or drawing on this part of the block. Anyone else see it?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

WConn wrote:Not trying to be a jerk here. If there was anything that impressed me about the Bible it was the dimensions of Noah's Ark which I thought conformed pretty much to what is the best ratio/dimension of a modern ocean going vessel. That being said, I captured and enlarged the picture a few entries above and it appears to me that there is a drawing on the left upper quadrant of the front of what appears to be a wooden block of some sort. It actually looked like a "Kilroy was here" type drawing. That would be a face with a big nose and the words "Kilroy was here." This became a common theme by a particular GI during WW2 named Kilroy. There does appear to be some sort of writing or drawing on this part of the block. Anyone else see it?
Kilroy probably was there... :P

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

More here.. If this turns out to be the ark.. I will literally "blank" in my...
Seven spaces revealed

The wood structure discovered by the team is broken, so members entered the structure through various openings. Up to now, the team has discovered seven spaces. One of the team members, Wing-cheung YEUNG explains during the press conference (please refer to the DVD):“

1. One of the spaces discovered is frozen by ice. Under ice is wood with wood beam above. There is tenon construction on the wall and it is obvious artificial structure.

2. The space witnessed by Panda Lee is L-shaped. This is the first discovered space. It's L-shaped and its features match well with some spaces discovered later, like tenon construction. We concluded that it was originally a box-shaped room and heavily decomposed.

3. This space stands at more than 5 metres high. Team members had to get through a broken opening and abseil down to get inside. All walls are wood and the space is not box-shaped. Strictly speaking, the walls are not vertical but rather curved and inclined. The small door on one side, of dimensions one meter high and half meter width, presumably leads to another space but our team did not risk going further due to the lack of oxygen.

4. This room is box-shaped, having a dimension of height, width and length of more than two metres. There is a wooden beam with wooden nails on one side of the wall. It is believed that a rope was hooked on these nails to keep animals in place. On another side of the wall, there are racks.

5. A very small tunnel-like space connects two spaces.

6. A few wooden staircases were found inside the structure, which seemingly craved by tree logs. Our team climbed one and found a door in the ceiling and concluded the wood structure has more than one floor. We tried to open it but failed. Since we did not want to destroy the structure, we will try again with appropriate equipment in the future.

7. The team has not entered this space. They viewed and took shots from a small opening above. The height and width are estimated to be 5 metres and 12 metres respectively. ”
Source: //www.noahsarksearch.net/eng/

Here is another shot of it...

kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

I think, especially since there would have been little wood from trees directly after the flood, the Noah & company would have used the remains of the ark to start building shelters and such. Also, because of a lack of wood, there would have been little fuel for burning offerings right after the flood, and the ark was the easiest and closest source. Even if it had been let alone, it would most likely have decayed over time. Anyways, my point is that finding the ark today is very unlikely, and I do not believe that Christians of any kind should search for answers like this where it may turn out to be false. If atheists saw that Christians were posting links to suspicious websites that say "Human and Dinosaur Fossils Found Together!", they may think that we're stupid and stop even considering coming to faith. The Apostle Paul called that a sin.

However, this was only my opinion, and if any real evidence of such things were found, I would suggest a very cautious approach to it, and a lot of research. I would also, if it were me, not go up to a friend and say "Look at this!", because that may push them away as well. Start low and slow, try not to overwhelm them!
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
butanehabitus
Newbie Member

Post by butanehabitus »

"It seems like stuff like this ALWAYS happens to our side and not theirs."

Not true. The science world is full of lies to prove their claims of evolution. Get the book "Icons of Evolution." It exposes all the lies.