Crickets

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Crickets

Post by cslewislover »

robyn hill wrote:I think there are people who believe in Christ, don't change their behavior, and will still go to heaven. My mother has been a struggling alchoholic since she was young. She has progressively worsened to the point of returning to Canada,( she has duel citizenship) and is now essentially homeless and drinks every day. She is not happy with herself, she has just given up on her life. My mother continues to pray to God every day. I see many struggling homeless people in our country who proclaim to be Christians, and I believe they are sincere, but struggle with mental issues that are beyond their control. I think mental disease can sometimes be as dehabilitating as phisical diseases, but I believe God accepts them just as He accepts those with phisical problems. I hope this isn't why Jac was taken off this board, he has written helpful posts on here.
That's so sad, and it seems sort-of common. She must have thought of living with someone who can prevent her from getting alcohol? I know that anyone in that situation could sneak out on one's own and get it . . . My step-dad was an alcoholic, and for all I know he died that way (he got violent and my mom finally divorced him). I'm not sure Jac would want to be thought of as possibly having a mental disease, though, LOL.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
robyn hill
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by robyn hill »

Oops! I didn't mean to suggest Jac had a mental problem, but that perhaps we was referring to people with mental problems, not being able to change their behavior, and still being able to get to heaven. We all have our crosses to bear and as much as I see people with mental disorders, alchoholism etc. .. It seems perhaps they won't find peace UNTIL they are in heaven, that is if they continue to pray and ask for guidance. Many become healed and saved, but just like phisical disease, some don't, and can still be saved. Only God knows the extent of a person's struggles, so who are we to judge who will or won't make it to heaven? This opinion, if that is what Jac was intending, seems pretty non judgemental and acceptable to me-
Last edited by robyn hill on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

robyn hill wrote:oops, I didn't mean to suggest Jac had a mental problem, but that perhaps we was referring to people with mental problems, not being able to change their behavior, and still being able to get to heaven. We all have our crosses to bear and as much as I see people with mental disorders, alchoholism etc. .. It seems perhaps they won't find peace UNTIL they are in heaven, that is if they continue to pray and ask for guidance. Many become healed and saved, but just like phisical disease, some don't, and can still be saved.
:lol: I don't think anyone here would think that people would go to hell simply for having mental issues or other issues that impaired our free will in some way. We're all responsible for what we know, not what we don't know. The issues discussed had to do with willful disobedience to God, even denying Him (willfully), amongst other things.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
robyn hill
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by robyn hill »

Gotcha, I only saw a little piece of what was discussed early on, on this post, and based my reply only on that. Sorry about that :D