asking saints to pray for us. Is it biblical?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
JamesScott
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: asking saints to pray for us. Is it biblical?

Post by JamesScott »

Canuckster,

Thank you for your points. :)
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

And to flip the coin, In Protestant churches people sit in pews and listen to a preacher, and believe things such as Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, things that are not found in the Sacred Scriptures.
And how many claim that the traditions of sitting in pews is equal to scritpure?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
JamesScott
Recognized Member

Post by JamesScott »

jlay wrote:
And to flip the coin, In Protestant churches people sit in pews and listen to a preacher, and believe things such as Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, things that are not found in the Sacred Scriptures.
And how many claim that the traditions of sitting in pews is equal to scritpure?

I've never heard of anyone believing such a thing. Neither Protestants, nor Roman Catholics, nor Eastern Orthodox.
It seems you're trying to say we believe local customs or traditions is equal to the Holy Scriptures, and this is not the case.

There is a difference between traditions and Holy Tradition. The word traditions {with a little "t"} referrs to local customs. For instance, Greek Orthodox churches have pews, while churches of the Orthodox Church in America {O.C.A.} do not. Greek churches have different food than the American churches. These are just local or ethnic differences, or traditions.

Holy Tradition is essential dogmas of the Faith. For example; Jesus Christ is one Person in two natures; divine and human. That is dogma, and it is Holy Tradition. It is non-negotiable. All Orthodox churches hold this, for it is essantial to the Faith.

Now, our local traditions are not equal to the Holy Scriptures. Nor is Holy Tradition equal to the Scriptures, per se, but rather the Holy Scriptures are a part of Holy Tradition, and even the most important part.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I think you misunderstood James. That was my point.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
JamesScott
Recognized Member

Post by JamesScott »

jlay wrote:I think you misunderstood James. That was my point.
What was your point?