Question about the paranormal/supernatural

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Question about the paranormal/supernatural

Post by neo-x »

Demons exist for a fact. There is no contestation. However, most of the demonic activity will manifest itself invisibly, or by demon possession. If demonic activity manifests itself in the physical, then note that this Demonic force is very present and dangerous.

Responding to your question, does our mind forms things. Other than comsuming drugs or a psychological illness, it is almost impossible to willingly make yourself believe you saw a ghost.

Sometimes, a person may see a ghost, while the other does not
the bible is clear about demons and unclean spirits. Modern concept of hauntings and ghosts is much different than what is classic horror. There are signs for possession and activity. one just needs to know from the Bible.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
kevdog19
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by kevdog19 »

I know from experience that suggestion can cause halucinations, or perhaps it was an alternate reality, but the point is we can see what we want to see.
fourteatwo
Newbie Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by fourteatwo »

you may experience dreams that you can not distinguish from reality easily as it happened to me this morning. I only figured out when thinking about it now, not this morning, that the plate we touched in the church was actually referring to the comment about the plaque on the voyager space craft that was in the newa last night, so in general your brain is working through some information trying to make sense of it. It shws how subconcious clues caninfluence your thinking, so if you for example talk about a spirit and then go throuh an area where there is a draft people independently will associate this place with the spirit. you can do similar things with silouhetts that when glanced over make your mind fill in the missing pattern etc, so there is a great deal of implanting going on and people have different levels of susceptibility to it.

In general my feeling is that the supernatural does not exist and a logical explanatoin can be found for everything, including the miracles of Jesus. As such I was surprised to find the insistance of the supernatural in God on the front page as to me God is perfectually natural and is the origin of everything natural. anything else would be not logical to me.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

now, I am all up for being logical, but there are some strange things and I wouldn't quote anybody on it but my own experience. I once had dream and in my dream I saw that I was on my bed, sleeping and my dad was sitting in the room, writing something. And then I suddenly I saw myself in a building, a three storey building with a roof that had a view, I could see a couple of trees, I look down and saw what the house looked like, and I walked through the entire house, room to room and I saw some people.

Anyways, when I woke up I found my father sitting in my room, which made me wonder what had happened, did I see what was happening or did I see what I wanted to see. Nonetheless as I had to go to my office, I went about it. now there was my colleague who is an architect, I am not an architect myself but I make CAD designs. So he comes to me in the lunch hour and we are eating and he starts telling me about how he is afraid and he is seeing things and he can't sleep etc etc. As he was telling me, I dare tried to check out what I had seen. All of sudden I had a creepy feeling that somehow it may be connected but I had my doubts. To be honest, I was more afraid that he will simply deny my assertion. But putting my lunch aside, I went to the drawing charts that usually hung on the walls of an architectural firm, and started drawing the house I had seen and I told him that which room was where, that there was a certain plant in his lawn, that the building was three storeys, the roof had red bricks in it, the ground was chipped. every little detail i could remember i told him and he was baffled because it was his home, i told him the view i had while standing on the roof, the twin palms, the adjacent buildings. All fitted. Because the previous night I had literally taken the tour. And I told him, how his mother and brother looked like, which room does he sleep so on and so forth.

Now how it happened logically, I have no idea, but it happened nonetheless. And the fact is that I never went to his home, he never talked about it with me, I never heard from anyone what his place was like and even if someone suggests that I might have and I didn't remember can not be the answer since, you do not tell your colleagues out of the blue everything you can about your home. In any case he never did prior to that. There was too much detail to be called made up. I still do not know how it happened but... y:O2
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

Wow! :shock: