1 Corinthians 9:20: Paul said he was not under the law?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: 1 Corinthians 9:20: Paul said he was not under the law?

Post by Christian2 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Quick note to with regard to the outcome of the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15. The outcome of the council was the consensus of those present. Does that mean that it was a God ordained directive? Doesn't Paul later in his epistles even go so far as to place under grace those practices represented there? I would argue that the outcome of the Jerusalem council was the best wisdom of the group collectively, but not a directive from God.
What about this statement from James?

"28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: " It seems that James did believe their decision was approved by God.

Not only that didn't Jesus give His disciples authority to make these types of decisions?

Matthew 16:
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

“Loose” means absolve. The Gentiles were absolved from the obligation of the Laws meant specifically for Jews, such as the Jewish food laws, observing the Jewish Sabbaths and holidays, and from circumcision.

“Bind” means prohibit. The Jerusalem Council prohibited certain things – Acts 15: 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

Do you agree, Bart? Thanks.