For theistic evolutionists, question about Eve's creation

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: For theistic evolutionists, question about Eve's creatio

Post by SnowDrops »

CeT-To wrote:That would be a better answer but yeah im just saying, saying " breaking natural laws" just gives another chance for athiests to ridicule God. God doesn't break anything, nature produces certain effects and God produces greater effects- that i think is the right way to view it.
Again, something to keep in mind in debates. A bit of bad wording and you get bashed for it :shakehead: .
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

Also, I read some pages from The Chronicle Project, I'm still a bit confused though. Is there, say, a (at least partial) translation of the Bible using this method? Also, since there are two "concepts" they combine together, isn't there at least some uncertainty as to what people thought putting them together would mean? Looking at the way they put together words, it doesn't seem all that clear to me.
Ok, found the 1st chapter of Genesis and honestly seems... weird. Perhaps Rich should make a page about this (Aberrant Theology? Well it clearly isn't Christian). But I'll have to look into it further. I still don't quite get it what they're doing. Or how a lot of the verses make sense for that matter. y:-?
rainagain
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rainagain »

SnowDrops wrote:
Also, I read some pages from The Chronicle Project, I'm still a bit confused though. Is there, say, a (at least partial) translation of the Bible using this method? Also, since there are two "concepts" they combine together, isn't there at least some uncertainty as to what people thought putting them together would mean? Looking at the way they put together words, it doesn't seem all that clear to me.
Ok, found the 1st chapter of Genesis and honestly seems... weird. Perhaps Rich should make a page about this (Aberrant Theology? Well it clearly isn't Christian). But I'll have to look into it further. I still don't quite get it what they're doing. Or how a lot of the verses make sense for that matter. y:-?
Well, it wouldn't be "Christian", it would be Jewish Theology, cuz Genesis is the first book of the Torah. When I read their translations, I don't see any big difference in meanings as compared with say, the KJV. If you were to pick apart scripture with a concordance, you would get the same general thing.

Also, the Chronicle Project folks don't recognize that 2 letters were merged back when, I picked that up here:
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/index.html
under Alphabet/The Letters.
And yes, this would lead to some confusion when translating words using ayin/gayan combined.

As for making sense of True Hebrew, I think you would have to have learned it as your mother language. Your mind would have to encompass the whole sound=concept thing. The problem with trying to make sense of it is that we're doing it in English, and we lack a single word to define each sound/concept. This is God's language, not ours.
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

Really? You don't see any difference between the results of the SDH translation and say, the NIV?
rainagain
Acquainted Member

Post by rainagain »

SnowDrops wrote:Really? You don't see any difference between the results of the SDH translation and say, the NIV?
Well, of course. The language used is completely different. And as I stated before, if you were to get out your KJV and Concordance, and parse out the verses, you would get a broader picture of each verse. Keep in mind, a single Hebrew word is translated into dozens of different english words. In one case, over 80 different English words, and with widely differing meanings.
What I think is most interesting is the overall concept of sounds/letters having root meanings. It makes the Hebrew language a sort of machine-code for the human mind.

Is there a doctrinal change in the SDH that you're seeing, or is it just the language used?

rain
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

rainagain wrote:
SnowDrops wrote:Really? You don't see any difference between the results of the SDH translation and say, the NIV?
Well, of course. The language used is completely different. And as I stated before, if you were to get out your KJV and Concordance, and parse out the verses, you would get a broader picture of each verse. Keep in mind, a single Hebrew word is translated into dozens of different english words. In one case, over 80 different English words, and with widely differing meanings.
What I think is most interesting is the overall concept of sounds/letters having root meanings. It makes the Hebrew language a sort of machine-code for the human mind.

Is there a doctrinal change in the SDH that you're seeing, or is it just the language used?

rain
Well, I would have to read more than just a small part of Genesis, but yes, I think there are some doctrinal changes. Have you read the notes at the bottom of the page? I'll admit the changes are arguable in some cases, but in any case they "refute" (if correct) certain groups of Christianity (I think that would include YEC), which might actually be a good thing (less disagreement).
ROBE
Familiar Member

Post by ROBE »

In the future man might be able to some 2 cells from a male, remove the X from one and swap it with the Y from the second and grow a female version of that man.
So why couldn't God.