What has a soul?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Katabole
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: What has a soul?

Post by Katabole »

Murray, I don't know if you were asking Echo or me if,
Murray wrote:And If you don't mind me asking, do you believe in a soul?
I do believe in a soul. However, as an old earth creationist, I don't believe the soul is created upon conception in the flesh but that it already existed with God in the beginning.

All souls were created by God.
All souls were with God.
All souls came from God.

I don't know how it would be proved that there is one. I believe it is one of the mysteries of Christianity that we will eventually discover in the future. But it is one of those things that I believe we have to have faith in Christ for, similar to the faith the centurion showed in John ch 4:

John 4:50 (KJV) Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I do believe in a soul. However, as an old earth creationist, I don't believe the soul is created upon conception in the flesh but that it already existed with God in the beginning.
Could you clarify what you mean by this? It sounds like you mean souls are eternal, because you said they already existed with God in the beginning.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The soul is what the hebrews referred to as a living being, as Adam became a living soul when God breathed his Spirit into him.
A living soul is what we become when we are born, the "living soul" dies when we die, Our SPIRIT lives on and returns to God.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

@ Katabole, I was asking echo because he is not a christian and I am unsure of what he believes.

Im pretty sure most christians believe in a human soul/spirit :ermm:
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Katabole
Valued Member

Post by Katabole »

Hi Rick

No, I don't believe souls are eternal. Eternal would signify that souls never had a beginning. Only God is eternal. The verse I previously quoted from Isaiah 57 states that God created (made) all souls. Therefore, souls had a beginning.
RickD wrote:Could you clarify what you mean by this?
I will try.

Jer 1:5 (KJV) Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

How did God know Jeremiah before he formed his flesh body in his mother's womb? Evidently he knew his soul from before he was born.

Job 38:4 (KJV) Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

5Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

7When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

When did the morning "stars" sing together and all the sons of God shout for joy? In the age previous to this age, when we existed as souls.

Gen 1:2 (KJV) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The phrase 'without form' and the word 'void' are the Hebrew words pronounced Tohuw and Bohuw. Tohuw means a desolation. Bohuw means an undistinguishable ruin; emptiness.

Isa 45:18 (KJV) For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

The word 'vain' in this verse is the same as the phrase 'without form' in Gen 1:2, the Hebrew word Tohuw, from Strong's concordance. Since God claims He did not create it 'Tohuw', that is, as a desolation, in the above verse, it appears to be a contradiction because in Gen 1:2 it claims it "was" Tohuw. The Hebrew word "hayah" transliterated as the English word 'was' in Gen 1:2 should really be transliterated as 'became'.

In other words, God did not create it as a desolation, it "became" that way. Why did it become that way? Because of Satan's rebellion in the beginning age, when he deceived a third of God's children (souls, stars of heaven). It claims that in Rev 12, which is a paranthetical chapter, covering a greater span of time than any chapter in the Bible..

Rev 12:4 (KJV) And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

Because of Satan's rebellion, God destroyed that age as described in Jer 4:23-26 (KJV) and created this second age, beginning in Gen 1:3. The ages (eons of time) are highlighted in 2 Peter 3

2Pet 3:6 (KJV) Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: (first age, the age that was)

2Pet 3:7 (KJV) But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. (second age, our present age)

2Pet 3:13 (KJV) Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. (third age, the age to come, the eternity)

Dr. E W Bullinger does a good writeup of it in the following link.

The Foundation of the World.

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/TheOliveBra ... nd146.html

Professor John Lennox has a new book out entitled, 'Seven Days that Changed the World'. He covers the different creation views, including what he calls the "day/age" or gap creation model which I believe in. You should probably give it a read. Lennox is an OEC btw.

Hope that helps.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ok Katabole. I understand what you're saying, coming from a gap theory perspective. I'm a little familiar with the gap theory. I've read a little about it before. I tend to lean towards an oec model that is closer to Hugh Ross, or even this site's perspective. In my mind, progressive creationism espoused by Mr. Ross, and Mr. Deem, just makes the most sense to me.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here:
When did the morning "stars" sing together and all the sons of God shout for joy? In the age previous to this age, when we existed as souls.
If I'm understanding it as it's written, you're saying we existed as souls before we were born physically. I would rather think that God knew everything about us before we existed, rather than we existed as souls before we existed physically. I see a difference.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Katabole
Valued Member

Post by Katabole »

RickD wrote:When did the morning "stars" sing together and all the sons of God shout for joy? In the age previous to this age, when we existed as souls.
If I'm understanding it as it's written, you're saying we existed as souls before we were born physically.
Yes.
RickD wrote:I would rather think that God knew everything about us before we existed, rather than we existed as souls before we existed physically. I see a difference.
Ahh, yes I understand your position. I agree, God being God would know everything about us and yet I respectfully disagree with your hypothesis, however it can be taken up elsewhere...not that I want to though. :)

CaptainBeatDown
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by CaptainBeatDown »

You're not giving me a scientific answer. I just see everyone running around the question. Asking me "if you don't believe in a soul why do you want to know what it's composed of?" I'm curious,I don't need an explanation other than that. IS IT WRONG TO BE CURIOUS AND WANT TO MAKE SENSE OUT OF THINGS? If you believe in souls then explain it to me into a scientific description.
Make me a believer,explain it into the way I understand best which is facts. :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I'm not sure it's possible to give you the answer you're looking for. A soul is what gives us, and certain animals, a mind, will, and emotions. How can one scientifically describe that? Science is used to study the physical, and natural. A soul is neither physical, nor natural, as far as I know.

-Edward R Murrow

CaptainBeatDown
Acquainted Member

Echoside wrote:
CaptainBeatDown wrote:How are souls placed into humans?
Do plants and animals have souls? What about insects?
Everyone is made up of DNA,and created when an egg and sperm are joined,unless it's asexual reproduction.
Insects,animals and plants are created in the same way. Eggs are fertilized and it turns into whatever DNA programs it to be.
Do clones have souls? Nowadays scientists are making stem cells into sperm cells,that have later turned into animals. So if a human is created in a lab or is a test tube baby,do they have a soul? What is the concept of a soul? Your brain stores information and memories,diseases can destroy it and it's all flesh-based. When you die your brain shuts down and your body decomposes. How will a soul hold things as memories,personal identities? I don't want biblical verses,or quotes they don't explain things. Or how it all works out. I want science. This is Evidence for God from science.
What makes you think souls exist?
People say is exists,so I want to explore that idea. So I'm asking questions,simple as that. : )
CaptainBeatDown
Acquainted Member

RickD wrote:I'm not sure it's possible to give you the answer you're looking for. A soul is what gives us, and certain animals, a mind, will, and emotions. How can one scientifically describe that? Science is used to study the physical, and natural. A soul is neither physical, nor natural, as far as I know.
Yet a soul is supposed to inhabit things that are physical and natural?
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

The music of Curtis Mayfield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-l91O9VxN0
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

CaptainBeatDown wrote:
RickD wrote:I'm not sure it's possible to give you the answer you're looking for. A soul is what gives us, and certain animals, a mind, will, and emotions. How can one scientifically describe that? Science is used to study the physical, and natural. A soul is neither physical, nor natural, as far as I know.
Yet a soul is supposed to inhabit things that are physical and natural?
I guess that's one way to describe it. I'm not really sure what you're asking, then. Maybe you could reword your question, so I can try to understand what you're getting at?

-Edward R Murrow

kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

Anything that has a mind has a soul, as far as I understand. Sometimes it is easier to point out than other times. Mammals, like dogs, for instance, obviously have some sort of a mind that guides the body. Birds do as well. So do reptiles. Then it gets tricky, and I don't know from here. Perhaps insects have souls, because it seems like they have a mind and just a small brain that it uses, and fish probably have souls as they direct their bodies apart from environmental influence. But I don't know about bacteria, they seem more like machines that respond directly to influence of environment, as do plants. Although I cannot deny that they may have some measure of a soul and just not a nervous system by which it can direct the body. Probably not, it is hard to consider a soul without awareness.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Proinsias wrote:The music of Curtis Mayfield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-l91O9VxN0
Yes and amen to that!

Motown definitely Has Soul!

The Jackson Five, Supremes, etc and etc…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys