Why dinosaurs?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why dinosaurs?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Murray wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Murray wrote:maybe god put a "loving touch"on the path of the meteor
Just the right amount of "english" to get the 8 ball in the corner pocket ;)
I don't get it..... :?
Pool/snooker analogy.
You had to have a cut more than a few high school classes to get that (as I have) :D .
I have no idea what you are talking about :ewink:
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I am so lost :esad:
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Murray wrote:I am so lost :esad:
Imagine God with a giant pool cue (pool stick) looking upon the solar system.
"The Dinosaurs are nice and plump, time to make oil so that my master plan will come to fruition."
"Alright", God snaps his fingers, a very large comet enters the solar system heading towards Venus. He pulls out the Cue and strikes the comet so that it goes careening into the young Earth.
"That should do it!', he sais as he flips through his Recipes of the Universe Book he purchased from the heavenly Amazon.com.
"It sais here simmer for 65 million years." He sets the timer and goes off into the other room to watch some new movies on NetFlix.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

If we have evidence that a meteor or some other natural disaster if you will, cause the extinction of the dinos then if God is to blame then God sent the meteor or the disaster in question.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Do YEC believe the dinosaurs went extinct from something else? It really would make no sense if they believed a meteor killed them all.....
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:Do YEC believe the dinosaurs went extinct from something else? It really would make no sense if they believed a meteor killed them all.....
Murray,
YECs are taught that dinosaurs were killed in Noah's "global" flood. Most prominent YECs that I have seen, believe dinosaurs lived at the same time as man, and were destroyed with all other animals in the flood.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Ohh.... Okay, thanks for the explanation Rick :esmile:

But how do they explain the high amount of trauma in the fossil record at the time old earth folks believe the meteor hit? Did gods flood include massive fires, trauma, and a cloud of dust that altered our climate?

And a question kind of off topic, where do we believe as non-YEC where Noah flood was? I know many people think it was confined to an specific area, but like where is this “area”, and why did god punish them with a flood
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

But how do they explain the high amount of trauma in the fossil record at the time old earth folks believe the meteor hit? Did gods flood include massive fires, trauma, and a cloud of dust that altered our climate?
Anything in the fossil record, in a YEC view, is attributed to what they believe was a flood that covered the entire earth. A flood that encompassed the entire earth, would have possibly been responsible for a climate change, according to YEC.
And a question kind of off topic, where do we believe as non-YEC where Noah flood was? I know many people think it was confined to an specific area, but like where is this “area”, and why did god punish them with a flood
There is no proven area where the flood was located according to OEC. Many people believe it was in the Mesopotamia area. There have been threads here about the location. Try a search, you may find what you're looking for.
The reason God punished mankind, by the flood, is in Genesis. YECs and OECs believe the same story of the flood and God's judgement. They just disagree on the area the flood covered.
Remember, YECs and OECs both believe in a literal interpretation of the flood story. Each just has a different way they interpret the story.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Seems to me the place that would make the most sence is in the mediterranean basin.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/archi ... heory.html
http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature ... flood1.htm
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Here's a good article that explains different possible locations for Noah's flood, from an old earth perspective:http://answersincreation.org/articles/f ... cation.htm

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Rick, I do not think belief in the flood is confined to OEC and YEC, Framework and TE are pretty accepting of it as well. Creation perspective does not dictate what you think of a massive flood really.

Thanks for the link though, just about to read it now
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:Rick, I do not think belief in the flood is confined to OEC and YEC, Framework and TE are pretty accepting of it as well. Creation perspective does not dictate what you think of a massive flood really.

Thanks for the link though, just about to read it now
Murray,all I meant was that the link is from a site that believes in an old earth. Therefore, the article is written from that perspective.
I would have to disagree however, that creation perspective doesn't dictate what one believes about Noah's flood. Belief in a young earth, IMO necessitates a belief in a global noahic deluge, because there is no other way in a YEC system to account for all geological layers. In OEC, whether framework, progressive creationism, theistic evolution, etc., the geological layers can be attributed to the old age of the earth.

-Edward R Murrow

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

it dictates what you believe about noahs flood no doubt, but I mean most agree that noahs flood in some form did occur
jmooney5115
Newbie Member

Post by jmooney5115 »

This is a good article I came across one that explains their theory very well. I would like to believe this is the reasons for dinosaurs existence as well. DoesGodExist.org/Why_Dinosaurs
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

Even though it is nice to think of God´s plan in all this, It is still kind of arbitrary. Also, oil is a good explanation, but it comes more from ancient plant life and its existene is not caused by the existence of dinosaurs. The question that I want an answer to is Why is everything so arbitrary. The laws of phyisics, this type of life, huge universe, choosing a Middle East savior over a Chinese or African, or existence itself. Sometimes I wish my mind was not so limited to only think in 3 dimesions of space and one dimension of time. It is better than nothing at all though.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.