Neanderthals and modern humans---maybe not related after all

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Neanderthals and modern humans---maybe not related after

Post by RickD »

Reactionary wrote:
RickD wrote:Maybe the neanderthals were the native people of Croatia, and the white European settlers massacred them all, just like they tried to do with the Native Americans, and Australian Aborigines. y:-?
Rick, a little bit more respect for my peoples, please! :ebiggrin: We never massacred, colonized or enslaved anyone. In fact, we didn't know what racism was until we heard about it from the West.
Reactionary, teh white European and his descendants, is teh devilz. :twisted: :twisted:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Dallas
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Dallas »

Maybe these are what the people looked like, before Noahs Flood.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
sylvanicdawn
Acquainted Member

Post by sylvanicdawn »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Posted this in the jokes section a while back, thought it might be appropriate here :ebiggrin:

I want to use that meme! Is there any way someone could send this file to me, or some place I could find to download it?

I see so many memes from non-Christians, atheists, and evolutions mocking the Christian faith. We need more Christian memes, especially humorous ones like this! Let the creativity flow!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

sylvanicdawn wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Posted this in the jokes section a while back, thought it might be appropriate here :ebiggrin:

I want to use that meme! Is there any way someone could send this file to me, or some place I could find to download it?

I see so many memes from non-Christians, atheists, and evolutions mocking the Christian faith. We need more Christian memes, especially humorous ones like this! Let the creativity flow!

This is the link to the meme //i.imgur.com/dJNLc.jpg
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Ivellious,

You have a strange understanding of closely related. Many of those were not the same species and as far as the lessr apes:
two of the most distant genera of lesser apes
We are not related to chimps.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I never said they had to be the same species...but they were all the same class of animal. It was a cat with a cat, a dog with a dog, a pig with a pig, and so on...How are those examples not closely related? A lesser ape with a lesser ape follows in that same vein.

"We are not related to chimps."

Well, if we are ok with saying that cats are related and dogs are related and so on...According to how scientists have put together the phylogenetic tree for apes, the Great Apes are both the descendants of chimpanzees and of humans, albeit via different tree branches, so to speak. We are essentially distantly related cousins with a common ancestor in the Great Apes. It's essentially the same type of relationship between different varieties of cats or dogs. At some point in history, two separate species diverged from the apes, one becoming the "homo" family and the other chimpanzees.

What is the evidence to the contrary, other than a presupposition of humans not being related to anything?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:Gman, quick question...What evidence are you saying says we aren't related to neanderthals?
Some of that is here.. http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/ ... ponse.html For the most part it is speculation.. And even if it were true, G-d could have still used the process of evolution.

Perhaps the better question here is how does the existence of neanderthals negate the existence of the G-d of the Bible? It never could...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Ummmmm...

For the record, Gman, I am not at all opposed to the idea that God might have used evolution as a means to bring about life as it is on Earth, no more opposed to the idea that God used the laws of physics to keep things from flying out of our atmosphere. Also, neanderthals aren't really a piece of evidence that people use against God, to my knowledge. I think it's more that religious people take neanderthals and other human-like organisms as some kind of offense to creationism.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I think it's more that religious people take neanderthals and other human-like organisms as some kind of offense to creationism.
I think people take offence at other people who try to present it as solid fact.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:Ummmmm...

For the record, Gman, I am not at all opposed to the idea that God might have used evolution as a means to bring about life as it is on Earth, no more opposed to the idea that God used the laws of physics to keep things from flying out of our atmosphere. Also, neanderthals aren't really a piece of evidence that people use against God, to my knowledge. I think it's more that religious people take neanderthals and other human-like organisms as some kind of offense to creationism.
Right... So what is it with you not accepting Christianity if "science" can't answer all your questions? Would you reject G-d on a so called scientific hunch?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I don't reject God, I have chosen to reject the religious institution of Christianity. I am not an atheist, I just choose not to affiliate myself with any branch of any religion. There are numerous reasons for this, not one of which is based on science. I have chosen to have my own relationship with God, because I believe that the pomp and circumstance and material aspects of religion are not what spirituality should be about, and I do not feel that I need them to have a healthy, open relationship with whatever higher power might be out there.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

There's no "pomp" where I go, just some good people who help each other out and try to live as good a life as possible.
Of course we do believe in the revelation of Christ though. ;)
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

dayage wrote: Some evidence would be that their DNA is about as different from ours as a chimps, they have no evidence of clothing, no art, no music and their tools were different than human's.
Any reference for the DNA claim?

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/gen ... anderthals
Researchers compared the Neanderthal to modern human and chimpanzee sequences. Most human sequences differ from each other by on average 8.0 substitutions, while the human and chimpanzee sequences differ by about 55.0 substitutions. The Neanderthal and modern human sequences differed by approximately 27.2 substitutions.
Using this mtDNA information, the last common ancestor of Neanderthals and modern humans dates to approximately 550,000 to 690,000 years ago, which is about four times older than the modern human mtDNA pool.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/divergence-h ... n-ancestor
Divergence of human and chimpanzee lineages (from last common ancestor)

Text:
Fossil and genetic evidence tells us that the last common ancestor of humans and living apes lived between 8 and 6 million years ago. We do not yet have its remains.
That's a pretty big difference.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I'm not saying church is always a bad thing, in fact in most small circumstances it's more a good social support group than materialistic. I just don't feel like it is necessary to have a church, a clearly identified religious preference, or a list of traditions and protocols to prove the validity of my spirituality.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:I don't reject God, I have chosen to reject the religious institution of Christianity.
And you have absolutely no reason to reject Christianity.. You have shown nor proven nothing against it....
Ivellious wrote:I am not an atheist, I just choose not to affiliate myself with any branch of any religion.
Then you yourself are your own religious institution..
Ivellious wrote:There are numerous reasons for this, not one of which is based on science. I have chosen to have my own relationship with God, because I believe that the pomp and circumstance and material aspects of religion are not what spirituality should be about, and I do not feel that I need them to have a healthy, open relationship with whatever higher power might be out there.
Well, if you feel you are so above Christ, why don't you share your secret god with us?