The unbelieving Thomas v2.0

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
thomasbryn
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: The unbelieving Thomas v2.0

Post by thomasbryn »

Byblos wrote:
thomasbryn wrote:
Atheists don't care about the evidence they just don't want God to exist. It's an emotional objection.
This is not true. What is the evidence that God exists? i will be glad to hear it?
Welcome Thomas. If you don't mind, please post something about yourself in the introduction thread so we can all officially welcome you to the site. I would also suggest that you peruse some of the articles on the main page that will help you formulate an idea of what kind of arguments we usually put forth in terms of the relations between God and science. As to the evidence of God's existence, I'm sure you're familiar with most of the standard arguments from first causation to design to objective morality, etc, etc. If there is one in particular you would like to discuss please feel free to create a thread.

Thank you I will. Could you direct me to the INTRODUCTION THREAD . IS it on the HOME PAGE? I will introduce myself there . I will also find a way of focussing my debates in the future . Thank you
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

thomasbryn wrote:
Byblos wrote:
thomasbryn wrote:
Atheists don't care about the evidence they just don't want God to exist. It's an emotional objection.
This is not true. What is the evidence that God exists? i will be glad to hear it?
Welcome Thomas. If you don't mind, please post something about yourself in the introduction thread so we can all officially welcome you to the site. I would also suggest that you peruse some of the articles on the main page that will help you formulate an idea of what kind of arguments we usually put forth in terms of the relations between God and science. As to the evidence of God's existence, I'm sure you're familiar with most of the standard arguments from first causation to design to objective morality, etc, etc. If there is one in particular you would like to discuss please feel free to create a thread.

Thank you I will. Could you direct me to the INTRODUCTION THREAD . IS it on the HOME PAGE? I will introduce myself there . I will also find a way of focussing my debates in the future . Thank you
Thomas. click on "Board Index". Then 2nd from the top, is "General Chit-Chat". You can introduce yourself there.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

thomasbryn wrote:Hi Silver tusk,
Thanks for the welcome and i look forward to debate on here although i can't promise to be here very often i will try and pop in and follow perhaps one or two threads . To address your comments I believe we may be talking cross terminology . When i refer to EVIDENCE i refer to something that leads to a PROVABLE / ACTUAL and DETECTABLE Truth. I may be using the worng word I mean perhaps EMPERICAL EVIDENCE i.e a means of CONCLUDING a TRUTH. I accept that there will be many areas in life where this sort of evidence is not available and so guesses( hypoetheses ) will need to be made , however they too must remain UNTRUE until proven through evidence.Followign this thinking one cannot help to conclude that the religions of the world have yet given any real evidnce that GOD EXISTS. Is that an unfair comment? Please share anything you feel contradicts it.

Silvertusk
[/quote]

You are setting the bar so high it cannot be reached. There are some truths that cannot be found with empirical evidence. There is experiencial evidence, eyewitness evidence, circumstancial evidence. Evidence that even though would not produce 100% proof - in a court of law would certainly return a favourable verdict.

But thinking about it more - how would you class the fine tuning argument? That certainly has facts that are undeniable and emperical - A conclusion of God is certainly a valid "Hypothesis" as well as the current multiverse theories that are out there - if not more so due to the other supporting evidence that makes an accumulated case. William Lane Craig certainly touches very close to the type of evidence you are hoping to seek in my view - as he uses the latest philosophies in science to put forward his arguements.

Can you be more specific - what would be convincing proofs for you?

Silvertusk
MrRoboto
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by MrRoboto »

Thanks for the above post SilverTusk. I have always heard the claim "no one has ever proven God exists" and I wondered what it would take to prove this. For myself I have seen enough proof for satisfaction that God exists. With science being limited to what we know about the four dimensions we exist in, as far as empirical evidence goes, how can science provide evidence beyond that?