Does God have free will?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Does God have free will?

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:BryanH wrote:
In terms of actually knowing something about God = ZERO.
Bryan, in order for any being to be God, he would have to be eternally existent, and the creator of the universe. Otherwise he wouldn't be God, and wouldn't be worthy of our worship. Now, to say this eternal, creator God, is consistent with the God of the bible...well, that could be discussed.
Just sort of a little reminder for everyone, this is one of Bryan's schticks. We've been down that road with him before. He likes to assert that we know nothing about God, but then makes his own assertions (things like 'God isn't subject to human logic,' which means, apparently, he knows something about God that we don't). As I pointed out before, it's either hubris or irrationality, or, more likely, both.

Just sayin . . . ;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

BryanH wrote:
Better to try to understand God and fail than to succeed at anything else.
Why would it better to fail trying to understand God than to succeed at anything else?

Your statement is quite weird from my point of view and I will explain why.

This is just an example:

===> It would be better in failing to understand God than to succed in proving that he doesn't exist.

My example might be a little forced, but you got the point.

I mean, you are basically saying that you would prefer living in a lie or that you would prefer failure rather than success.

Maybe I got it wrong...
Yeah, you got it wrong.
Allow me to explain:
I would rather TRY and fail to understand God than succeed at any other goal because even in the attempt to understand, ie: TO KNOW God, is far more fulfilling than the success at anything else.
While they way I worded it may seem a bit odd, to me it makes sense ( and since it was about me, I am ok with that :D ).
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philosophically speaking of course, to comment that we can't know God IS a comment ABOUT knowing God ( that he can't be known).
So...it is a self-defeating argument.
BryanH
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by BryanH »

Just sort of a little reminder for everyone, this is one of Bryan's schticks. We've been down that road with him before. He likes to assert that we know nothing about God, but then makes his own assertions (things like 'God isn't subject to human logic,' which means, apparently, he knows something about God that we don't). As I pointed out before, it's either hubris or irrationality, or, more likely, both.
1) Jac no matter what I say, one thing is for sure: in order for anyone to claim that they know something about God [including me] you need to make an assumption to which you assign a TRUE value.

2) When I said that "God isn't subject to human logic", I said that in a context. I mean, it's not nice to just say something about me and twist my words...

Anyways "God isn't subject to human logic" can be proved rather easy if you actually consider the Bible to be true.

==> IF we are to follow the divine simplicity explanation: God is the first mover. So he existed "long" before human logic and reason started to happen. Therefore God is not subject to human logic.

3) Now take me for example: I consider the bible to be quite a nice fiction book in a lot of situations. Believe it or not, the fact where a God created the universe(s) is not something that I am prepared to disagree with. The one thing I can say is: there could be a GOD. But from there to a GOD who offers a "Guide to Heaven", well, that is where the fiction part starts, at least for me.
Philosophically speaking of course, to comment that we can't know God IS a comment ABOUT knowing God ( that he can't be known).
So...it is a self-defeating argument.
If you use the word "can't", you are right.
If you use the word "don't", it's different.

I can't know anything about God indeed relates to having knowledge that God can't be known.

I don't know anything about God relates to you as an individual acknowledging your lack of knowledge and also doesn't mean that you can't know God. Maybe you will be able to do that in the future.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

If you use the word "can't", you are right.
If you use the word "don't", it's different.

I can't know anything about God indeed relates to having knowledge that God can't be known.

I don't know anything about God relates to you as an individual acknowledging your lack of knowledge and also doesn't mean that you can't know God. Maybe you will be able to do that in the future.
True, but using don't is subjective, you can't say that someone else doesn't know something UNLESS you KNOW that they don't.
BryanH
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by BryanH »

True, but using don't is subjective, you can't say that someone else doesn't know something UNLESS you KNOW that they don't.
Well, they can always prove me wrong, right?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

BryanH wrote:
Depends on what you view as proof right?
If you say something subjective like "You don't know God", you are expressing YOUR opinion.
I counter with," Yes I do".
You ask how and I counter with " God has revealed Himself to me".
Whether you accept that as proof is irrelevant because you stated a subjective opinion and I answered with a subjective answer.
If your question/opinion is valid, so is my answer.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

BryanH wrote: "Now take me for example: I consider the bible to be quite a nice fiction book in a lot of situations. Believe it or not, the fact where a God created the universe(s) is not something that I am prepared to disagree with. The one thing I can say is: there could be a GOD. But from there to a GOD who offers a "Guide to Heaven", well, that is where the fiction part starts, at least for me."
This is an astounding logic, he has not come to the conclusion that there definitely isn't a God (definitely a start, a good thing) - so he's at least open to that, even saying that there "COULD" be a God. But to say that you think there "could" be a God Who is capable of creating a universe, time and dimensions - out of nothing (Big Bang) - then building it into the astoundingly, mathematically incomprehensible makeup of systems, chemistries, biologies, physics, all necessarily interconnected in uncountable complex ways, galaxies and heavenly bodies, space so vast - AND THEN, He creates living organisms, creatures, and HUMAN BEINGS... Well, that is quite an impressive, unfathomably powerful God, who has created and sustained a universe, at the most microscopic level to the most majestic planets, stars and galaxies, sustaining all with His laws that control all of His Creation.

Point is, this God you say "could" exist, obviously pays obsessive attention to all His hands touch. But to put LIMITS on a God of such capability? To say He couldn't do this or He couldn't do that? Really?!!! And as for His "Guide to Heaven" - His Word - do you really think a Being that was so obsessed with such mind-boggling details of His Creation would simply cast His Word to man, casually down to earth as does a drunk throwing a beer can out of a car window? Not caring WHO finds it or WHAT HAPPENS to its contents, how it might be altered after being found, or the importance of all those He entrusted and inspired, in its writing and teaching form it, so as to protect it? So, God can build a universe, but He can't tell us His wishes of how to live and attain heaven? This is illogical! And Jesus said ALL that was written by the OT prophets, HE CAME TO FULFILL. And here's the thing - God's Word, that Jesus came to fulfill, Jesus DIED for it - THAT is how important God's Word is to Him, He allowed Part of Himself/Jesus to die a barbarically cruel death out of unfathomable love and to FULFILL His Word. I'd say such a God's Word MATTERS immensely to Him.

But my main point is that IF God exists - the one Who created all things - then to say He has limits is laughable. To say His Word would be irrelevant to Him is preposterous. To say He wouldn't have the ABILITY to protect His Word is inconceivable. To say He wouldn't say this or do that is to know the VERY mind of God. Thomas Jefferson believed his Deist god created a universe, but yet that it was just impossible for Jesus to have turned a little water into wine. TJ was brilliantly BLIND!!! And this is perhaps why the man who wrote, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness," also owned approximately 500 slaves over his lifetime.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Thomas Jefferson believed his Deist god created a universe, but yet that it was just impossible for Jesus to have turned a little water into wine. TJ was brilliantly BLIND!!! And this is perhaps why the man who wrote, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness," also owned approximately 500 slaves over his lifetime
Philip, it's just that some people are more equal than others. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
BryanH wrote:
Depends on what you view as proof right?
If you say something subjective like "You don't know God", you are expressing YOUR opinion.
I counter with," Yes I do".
You ask how and I counter with " God has revealed Himself to me".
Whether you accept that as proof is irrelevant because you stated a subjective opinion and I answered with a subjective answer.
If your question/opinion is valid, so is my answer.
Excellent, Paul. And this is why I said Bryan is either being extremely arrogant or extremely irrational (or both).

"You can't know anything about God" is obviously self-defeating.
"You don't know anything about God" may or may not be self-defeating, depending on the force of "you". It could either mean:

1) "You, Paul, know nothing about God. I know this because I compare your statements with what I know to be true, and everything you say is false." OR,
2) "You, human, know nothing about God. I know this because I know that human beings know thing about God."

In the first case, his claim that you have zero knowledge of God is a claim on your knowledge, which is pure hubris. In the second case, 'you' is a general 'you', and therefore is a universal claim that would apply to himself as well. As such, the second claim is self-defeating, and is thus irrational.

So when you go on to point out here that the only way not to be self-defeating is to make it a claim on your knowledge, you are absolutely correct in pointing out that he's merely expressing an opinion. You can easily counter with, "Yes, I do," and you've made no more or less valid a claim that he has. In fact, Bryan's statement is just silly, because he is making a very strong claim he cannot possibly prove. In fact, we all know that he really means that you--as an individual--don't have any knowledge of God because he thinks that knowledge of God is impossible. You can see that in his silly argument that everything we say about God requires us to make certain assumptions. So he's really arguing against the ability of any statement about God to have a knowable truth value, since he is arguing about the assumptions that underlie all such statements. But as such, his own statements are equally invalid, and his argument is proven again to be self-defeating.

Now, bluntly, this is why I said this is just his schtick. Anyone who is going to argue that "you can't know anything about" some subject is just being an absurd skeptic. You aren't going to get anywhere with him, because he's choosing to be irrational and is not willing to play by the same rules. Toy with him however long you will. But, in my own estimation, you're wasting your time. If I thought that anyone here (or anyone lurking here) was taking his arguments seriously, I'd engage. I don't. Perhaps I'm wrong, but in my estimation, there's no reason to let anybody tell you why you ought to or ought not believe in any subject when their basic position is that you can't know anything about that subject.

So good show, here. Keep it up, if you like. It's enjoyable reading, if nothing else. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

To BryanH

Can you believe something without knowing it with absolute 100% certainty? Even if one hasn't experienced God directly but believes that the Bible is God's revelation to mankind, doesn't it make sense for them to count what the Bible says as knowledge and truth about God? As for if God is unknowable by default, what if God chose to make himself knowable by interacting with people?

If one reads my posts from several debates I had with other members about a year ago, you can see that I'm one of the last people to declare 100% certainty about anything. But I believe based on many factors that the Bible is inspired by God, so if I'm arguing something about God's nature, as a Christian I'm probably going to use the Bible. The fact (or belief) that the Bible is a revelation from God despite God being above the realm of reason is what makes the Bible a sourse of accurate knowledge (that is, if true. Obviously there is an element of faith to believing that it is true). The explanations members are providing isn't just them pulling it out of thin air and claiming to have knowledge about it, but they are rooted in what we believe to be revelation from God.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip, it's just that some people are more equal than others.
True, dat, Rick! And my many years in the corporate world well confirmed it!