Trying to take the high road

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Trying to take the high road

Post by RickD »

Noah1201 wrote:In the world is this thread about?
Noah, it's about Ultimate777 not making any sense, then his blaming others because we call him on his puzzling posts.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:
Noah, it's about Ultimate777 not making any sense, then his blaming others because we call him on his puzzling posts.
RickD, you are soooooo closed-minded and condescending. I just love Ultimate's searching questions & perceptiveness! In that spirit, can any of you smart-alecks answer this question:

If God were a turtle, could He get back on His feet when He landed on His back?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL posted:
If God were a turtle, could He get back on His feet when He landed on His back?
That's obviously a trick question. If God were a turtle, He would never have landed on His back to begin with. :mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

you dont get it rick, if God as a turtle cant land on his back, then he is not GOD. plus that just takes the creativity out of the question. you're not saying God can't be creative, right? ;-)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Rick and neo,

You are both wrong. The turtle is just a red herring. Since God is outside of time, it follows that He wouldn't land on His back. Rather, in this scenario, we would have to presuppose that God is eternally on His back. It's a picture of God's eternal rest.

8-}2
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:you dont get it rick, if God as a turtle cant land on his back, then he is not GOD. plus that just takes the creativity out of the question. you're not saying God can't be creative, right? ;-)
Neo, you may have a point. y:-?
But, I think if God was a turtle, He couldn't land on his back. Just like God can't create a square circle.
But, if you want creativity, then if God were a turtle, He'd have legs on his back, too. How's that for creativity? y[-(

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Rick and neo,

You are both wrong. The turtle is just a red herring. Since God is outside of time, it follows that He wouldn't land on His back. Rather, in this scenario, we would have to presuppose that God is eternally on His back. It's a picture of God's eternal rest.

8-}2
:pound:
Jac, now you're saying God is a turtle and He's also a fish(red herring)?
I'm really confused now. :crying:

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

now u went over creative with that one, Rick. That is plain intelligent design. :-P
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:now u went over creative with that one, Rick. That is plain intelligent design. :-P
Neo, God as a turtle didn't always have legs on His back. He evolved Himself into an eight legged turtle, so He could survive the occasional "flip over" problem. That's how survival of the fittest began.

-Edward R Murrow

ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:I realize that I have taken the low road here and I repent of it.
You're still on the low road: a very bad road with potholes, soft shoulders, hairpin- and off-camber turns...no gas stations, either...and unfriendly locals who will rob you if your car breaks down. Beware of falling rocks! There are cyclists everywhere and you don't have a driver's licence!

As Jac said,
Jac3510 wrote:I question every assertion you make in your post (that you've taken the low road; that you repent; that you've changed your mind about your opinions; that you will now try to take a higher road; that most people here are conservative Christians; that such is your opinion; that the responses here are either cutesy or inadequate, etc.).

In short, I question the adequacy of your entire post.
Get off the road before you kill someone!

FL
You are sailing thru midair on the way down after having fallen off.
Enjoy.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
No.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

That's okay, ultimate. In a relativistic world, we're all falling with FL together! You are the arbiter of your truth, he his, me mine, etc.

Of course, now I'm presuming that my truth is your truth. Hmm. Is that just my truth? Or maybe Wittgenstein was right and this is all just word games anyway. We could be getting into Veatch's fallacy of inverted intentionality.

Well now I've done it. I've managed to confuse myself. I guess that's the problem with trying to be rational when you start from irrational premises.

edit:
TheArbiterOfTruth wrote:No.
Who wants to make a wager on how many of us will categorically reject this claim and question the adequacy of it, thereby guaranteeing it, by definition, to be inadequate?!?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

cheezerrox wrote:Ultimate, you are ridiculous. I'm pretty confident that the others who have commented in this forum are mature enough to keep this from turning into some kind of argument, but that certainly seems to be what you want. As I and others have said before, you're constantly argumentative and condescending. I've never once seen you say something loving or Christ-like here on these forums, and if you or anyone else has an example I missed, then feel free to prove me wrong.

I personally think this thread is not worth any more replies. You can say I'm not being Christ-like, or that I'm persecutivng you, or whatever, but even Jesus and Paul rebuked those who were not acting right. I'm honestly surprised a moderator hasn't removed you from the board. I don't have anything against you, and I'll continue praying for you. I hope that you're able to start interacting with the members of this board and get the answers to the questions you have. But, you'll have to change your attitude first.

The reason I'm here is I am having a serious crisis of faith. The typical answers I get to my questions are not IMHO helpful.
Many people here think they are helpful.In the abstract they may even be helpful. However to me they are not helpful.
Much could be at stake and it seems people are not even trying to understand my concerns. I could be wrong, but it is how it seems. Considering all that could be at stake this makes me terribly angry.

I have my ideas of how I want things to be, but I am intellegent to realize things are what they are. If things are not as I want I want to know it. Deep down I doubt if everbody feels the same way here.

But to me many of the answers to my questions seem not even on topic.

Were it not for my crisis I would not bother you all or let you bother me.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Jac3510 wrote:Who wants to make a wager on how many of us will categorically reject this claim and question the adequacy of it, thereby guaranteeing it, by definition, to be inadequate?!?
I went to a variety store here in Maine and gave the lady a Canadian 25c to pay for my purchase. She rejected it by saying that it wasn't a quarter. I told her that it was a quarter but just not in Maine. She then ''categorically rejected my quarter and questioned the adequacy of it, thereby guaranteeing it, by definition, to be inadequate.''

Now, if God were a Canadian quarter, why wouldn't He be accepted all over the world? A quarter can buy a meal for a starving family in East Timor: why do you reject God?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cheezerrox »

ultimate777 wrote:The reason I'm here is I am having a serious crisis of faith. The typical answers I get to my questions are not IMHO helpful.
Many people here think they are helpful.In the abstract they may even be helpful. However to me they are not helpful.
Much could be at stake and it seems people are not even trying to understand my concerns. I could be wrong, but it is how it seems. Considering all that could be at stake this makes me terribly angry.

I have my ideas of how I want things to be, but I am intellegent to realize things are what they are. If things are not as I want I want to know it. Deep down I doubt if everbody feels the same way here.

But to me many of the answers to my questions seem not even on topic.

Were it not for my crisis I would not bother you all or let you bother me.
It's good that you've come here to find answers, but your actions don't say the same thing as your words. Even if you somehow found EVERY single answer you've ever been given on these forums (which you have to admit sounds a little ridiculous) somehow not helpful at all, you don't respond with WHY the answer is unhelpful. You instead start throwing around insults and claiming that people don't even try to answer your questions, or intentionally take your questions the wrong way. Can you not admit how paranoid and unfair that sounds? And please, know that I don't say this to insult you; I want you to be able to get the answers you're looking for. The problem is that you definitely will NOT if you continue with the same attitude you've had during your time here so far.

Like I said, if you could at least explain HOW particular answers are off-topic or unsatisfactory, then people could work with you. But you don't, and until you do, you don't allow the discussion to move forward.

I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. You have my prayers, and as I said before, I hope you come to be able to find what you're looking for, whether it be through these forums or any other medium G-d chooses to use. My advice is to read the Bible, continually. Just take 15 minutes a day, and keep up with it. You may find that many of your questions will be answered.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel