Theistic Evolution vs. Progressive creationism

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Theistic Evolution vs. Progressive creationism

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
The issue of Adam and Eve is a complex one because the story in of itself is full of symbolisim and it is hard to see IF Adam and Eve MUST be real people.
IF they were, it doesn't really effect the theory of TE because it can be handled in a few ways such as Adam and Eve being the first evolved humans or Adam and Eve being the "progenitors" of homo sapiens as we know them, etc.
The problem I see with that, is scripture uses the word "bara" when it says God created man. Bara means created anew, out of non existing materials. While scripture also uses "asah" when talking about what I believe is God forming man from the dust of the earth, I just can't ignore man being created(bara) in God's image. God using an existing "evolved" hominid, and giving that man a spirit, making that existing man in God's image by creating(bara) a spirit in him, may be a possibility, but it just isn't as simple and makes less sense than God just creating(bara), and making(asah) man in a special creation.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
The issue of Adam and Eve is a complex one because the story in of itself is full of symbolisim and it is hard to see IF Adam and Eve MUST be real people.
IF they were, it doesn't really effect the theory of TE because it can be handled in a few ways such as Adam and Eve being the first evolved humans or Adam and Eve being the "progenitors" of homo sapiens as we know them, etc.
The problem I see with that, is scripture uses the word "bara" when it says God created man. Bara means created anew, out of non existing materials. While scripture also uses "asah" when talking about what I believe is God forming man from the dust of the earth, I just can't ignore man being created(bara) in God's image. God using an existing "evolved" hominid, and giving that man a spirit, making that existing man in God's image by creating(bara) a spirit in him, may be a possibility, but it just isn't as simple and makes less sense than God just creating(bara), and making(asah) man in a special creation.
Fair enough and it may be that Man, as in Adam, was indeed created and not evolved and,perhaps, as his kin "covered" the earth, they simply "interbreed" with the "humans" of the time and gave rise to modern homo sapiens.
Or perhaps it may simply be a case of creative writing as is most of Gensis 1 and 2.
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

Genesis 1 verse 1 - Part 2 - Bara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbcB1puaOyc
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other