Beginners guide to evolutionary theory

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Beginners guide to evolutionary theory

Post by neo-x »

I know this thread is a little old but I would definitely recommend "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry Coyne

An excellent contemporary book that is extremely well respected and covers the basics of the theory of evolution.

Goes over evolution, gradualism, speciation, common ancestry, natural selection, genetic drift, the fossil record, DNA evidence, vestiges, embryos, bad design, the distribution of species and much much more.

Check it out
I read his blog, excellent suggestion. will check it out for sure :)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Neo

May I suggest after you read books about evolution that you actually look into the evidence that is supposed to back it up?I started examining the evidence for evolution from debating atheists they would give me links and I would save them and read them later and once you get a link you can then examine many more articles on evolution and you can examine the evidence too.I reject evolution after examining the evidence and I'd reject it even if I wasn't a Christian.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
neo wrote:
I am looking for a scientific book with a beginner's understanding of macro-evolutionary theory, without religious or atheistic takes on it.
Good luck finding THAT book. :lol:
You might as well search for the fountain of youth!

There may be books somewhere with only a little of religious or atheistic takes, but how can one talk about biological evolution without coming to the point of "beginnings"?
Same way that you can discuss geology, chemistry, etc without having to know how the universe started. Evolution would work exactly the same way whether a God started the first life, or it it was a spontaneous event.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

neo-x wrote:Hi, can any one suggest a good beginners book to understand the evolutionary theory?

I would appreciate a book which does not delve into, why ID or creationism is wrong, I don't want any philosophical takes on it. I would like a book which a student would be reading.
I've never seen or read a book like that, tho there may be one.

How much of a "beginner" are you? Have you taken any biology courses, for example?

Why do you want to study and understand evolutionary theory?

None of the books and articles that I read in the five years I put into the general field really said anything about "why ID or creationism is wrong". They didnt talk about Native American creation stories, Hindu deities, or any of that.

Evolutionary theory, really theories, plural as K pointed out is a kind of bundle or related topics. It involves genetics, geology, anatomy, etc and so on.

And likewise, for evolution to be "wrong", so would great chunks of all the physical sciences have to be "wrong."

Simple example: Physicists calculate the rate at which the rotation of the earth is slowing. So, making up an example, 200 million years ago there were 400 days in a year.

Some geologists / paleontologists find a fossil coral with both daily and annual growth rings, and they count, ok, 400 per year. This fellow must be about 200 million years old. And lets say radiometric dating gives the same value.

One finds, too, that the assemblage of marine fauna associated with the coral is profoundly different from that of today.

What is one to make of this? Surely not that atomic theory and astrophysics must be thrown out.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The answer is right under your nose! Go to the Source, go to Darwin's The Origin Of Species. Nobody seems to have ever read it, but me. This never ceases to amaze me: a pivotal book in Western thought which nobody bothers to read!

It is easy reading, if somewhat long-winded.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The answer is right under your nose! Go to the Source, go to Darwin's The Origin Of Species. Nobody seems to have ever read it, but me. This never ceases to amaze me: a pivotal book in Western thought which nobody bothers to read!

It is easy reading, if somewhat long-winded.

FL :D
Like Moby **** that way, but a good suggestion.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

You must mean Herman Melville's MobyDick. The system's censor cut out the second word of this great American classic... I'm sure few people bother to read MobyDick as well, although like Darwin's seminal work, people know the story ...sort-of, but not really.

FL :(
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. This thread was made back in 2012. I'm happy to add that since then I have read quite a lot on the topic. Most notably:

The original Darwin Wallace paper on origin of species
The selfish gene
Ancestor's tale
Why Evolution is true.
The Panda's thumb
What Evolution Is

along with some studies and published papers.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

neo-x wrote:Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. This thread was made back in 2012. I'm happy to add that since then I have read quite a lot on the topic.

Most notably:The original Darwin Wallace paper on origin of species
Well...that's the Source of the Source! I didn't even think to read it...

FL :clap:

+ + +

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

neo-x wrote:Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. This thread was made back in 2012. I'm happy to add that since then I have read quite a lot on the topic. Most notably:

The original Darwin Wallace paper on origin of species
The selfish gene
Ancestor's tale
Why Evolution is true.
The Panda's thumb
What Evolution Is

along with some studies and published papers.

So, what do you think?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I think evolution is the most fake thing to be called science since, like forever....Just kidding. I think evolution is the best model to explain life. I am awed by the whole thing.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:I think evolution is the most fake thing to be called science since, like forever....Just kidding. I think evolution is the best model to explain life. I am awed by the whole thing.
Neo,

Are you saying evolution as a model, explains how life began? Or, do you mean as a model, it doesn't make any claims on how life began, just how life changed? Or are you saying it explains both the beginning of life, and how life changed?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

It doesn't talk about origins of life which is kind of a different subject "Abiogenesis". Evolution is, how life changed once it was there and that is what I was talking about.

I can see how my wording may have seemed a bit misleading, though.

without.

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

neo-x wrote:It doesn't talk about origins of life which is kind of a different subject "Abiogenesis". Evolution is, how life changed once it was there and that is what I was talking about.

So what is your take on the origins of life?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:It doesn't talk about origins of life which is kind of a different subject "Abiogenesis". Evolution is, how life changed once it was there and that is what I was talking about.

Ok, that's what I thought you were saying.

Since you wrote it, are you saying you believe abiogenesis explains the origins of life? Or did you just throw that out there as one example of a belief of origins?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony