Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Post by 1over137 »

Kurieuo wrote:Just want to add that logic and reason would suffer the same fate as religious experience (if religious experiences should be rejected as truth conducive). For people on opposite sides of the rational debate -- for example, on God's existence -- people on both sides would be quite familiar with all arguments re: God's existence. Yet, they come to diametrically opposed conclusions.

Should we then throw out logic and reason because people using it have different conclusions? No, I don't think so.

So, when it comes to spiritual experiences -- what I'd call a sixth sense -- should we throw such out because people who have them are of different religious beliefs? Again no, I don't think so.

I think WLC is entirely justified at bringing them into the argument, although he stops short of really calling it an argument often calling it more of an invitation to experience the reality of God.

Yet, when elaborated upon at depth, religious experiences make a powerful argument for God imo.
We should throw out nothing. We are to use all we were given. Makes a perfect harmony.

As trained scientist and now also Christian, it is amazing to observe the whole world!
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think the inner witness of the HS is evidence to a believer, but certainly can't be used as such as an argument or evidence for to a skeptic.
The inner witness of the HS is what helps us in the matters that we feel conflicted about, that speaks to Us and guides us when we listen.
Just as it lead and helped the Apostles and 1st century Christians ( even though they still disagreed at times and had interpretation issues, just as we still do), The HS is their to for us.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
I think the inner witness of the HS is evidence to a believer, but certainly can't be used as such as an argument or evidence for to a skeptic.
:amen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Well, but if that skeptic knows you whole life, knew you before you were Christian and now see the change ...

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Well, but if that skeptic knows you whole life, knew you before you were Christian and now see the change ...
Actually Hana, you're correct. I retract half of my :amen: to PaulS.

I don't think the indwelling Holy Spirit should be used in arguing the existence of God to a skeptic. But I do believe God uses the fruit produced as a result of the indwelling HS as "evidence" to unbelievers. In fact, that's how I came to faith in Christ. I saw the evidence of the HS in my Mom.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:Well, but if that skeptic knows you whole life, knew you before you were Christian and now see the change ...
Is your husband becoming convinced by the changes he has seen in you?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
1over137 wrote:Well, but if that skeptic knows you whole life, knew you before you were Christian and now see the change ...
Is your husband becoming convinced by the changes he has seen in you?

FL
He is still not my husband.

But my whole family can see me now.

E.g. before I used to cry every month on that what the world we live in. I was idealist (still am) and was regularly sad to cry. Now, I have internal peace and hope and do not cry as I used to. Also I am more brave, confident, helping, smiling. Am happy. :)

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Actually Hana, you're correct. I retract half of my :amen: to PaulS.

I don't think the indwelling Holy Spirit should be used in arguing the existence of God to a skeptic. But I do believe God uses the fruit produced as a result of the indwelling HS as "evidence" to unbelievers. In fact, that's how I came to faith in Christ. I saw the evidence of the HS in my Mom.
Rick, this is encouraging.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
What the difference between that changed caused by, presumably the HS, compared to the same changes "caused" by reading or going to a self-help seminar or things like that?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
What the difference between that changed caused by, presumably the HS, compared to the same changes "caused" by reading or going to a self-help seminar or things like that?
Well, I'd like to see people before and after self-help seminar. Since I do not know such I cannot compare. Too few data. :(

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Well, I'd like to see people before and after self-help seminar. Since I do not know such I cannot compare. Too few data. :(
My point is that a skeptic will see the same changes that you attribute to the HS, in a person that attributes it to reading a self-help book, or a "take charge of your life" seminar, or things of that nature.

What I am saying is that, for the believer that KNOWS first hand the HS, knows how it feels, knows Our Lord's voice, these things are internal and can't be used as evidence, much less proof.
Outside of speaking a language fluently that there is no way possible you could no ( or things of that nature).
See, the skeptic is an interesting person:
He is very bias and comes from a position that is preconceived BUT yet believes that he is LESS bias and has no preconceived notions.
He does not accept personal experience as evidence BUT asks why God doesn't make himself know to him or others ( which is, of course, a personal experience).
He accepts that we do NOT know everything about how the universe works BUT states that anything that is outside our SELF ADMITTED limited understanding of the universe CAN NOT BE.
I can go on, but you get the point.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

On first response I would say, one involves committing the will, and the other(HS) involves surrendering the will.

Present your bodies as living sacrifices. Do not be conformed any longer to this world, but transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Rom. 12:1,2)
Anyone can commit themselves to a philosophy, program or even religious system. This will change behavior. For example, someone committing to Islam will change their behavior. But this is wrought in the will. It is self-sourced.
On the other hand, surrendering the will is only where the fruit of the HS can manifest. The fruit is all about the root.

Sadly, I do not think many beleivers are being urged to do so. The indwelling of the HS is not a puppet show. If it were, Paul would have never had to write Romans.
The book of Ephesians is also a great illustration of this. In the first three chapters is Paul explaining the new man. He ends this section with a prayer.
"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God."

The purpose of Paul's prayer is that each believer:
1 Be strengthened through His Spirit in the inner man.
--This is accessed through faith.
2 would be able to comprehend the love of Christ.
--Purpose of which is to be filled with the fullness of God.

Let me ask you, what will happen when a believer is filled up to all the fullness of God? They will spill over. Is this accomplised by will power? No. By following the right rules? No.

It is done by faith. And that is trusting who we are "In Christ." Essentially everything Paul has illustrated in chapters one and two. Next, and really most important, is to know the love of Christ. In fact it literally says to know, every which way, to know, beyond knowledge,...the love of Christ. Paul wants this to be the mind set and heart beat of the believer. Knowing Christ's love in every fiber of your being.
You want to love others. Get over it. You can try loving more, and you will fail miserably. Which of us here has not tried to be a 'better' Christian, only to fall short? Me. The Bible really does say that, "We (believers) have this treasure in earthen vessels." (2 Cor. 4:7) Why? To show that this POWER is from God and not from us. Read it for yourself. Loving others is the natural result of loving God. But how can we love God? Loving God is not a matter of following rules. It is dwelling on the love He had for us. "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." (1 John 4:19)
Do how can I dwell on this? Easy, just as Paul said, think on things that are true, noble and right.
Here is a link to 215 things to can mediatate on regarding what Christ has already accomplised for you. http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/sa ... 5thing.htm

There are reasons we don't see these distinctions in life. We don't believe it. How many of you go to a church were you are urged to believe this? In fact I would say most Christian churches have turned the Bible in to little more than a topical self-help book. If you don't believe me, just go into the average Christian book store, or turn on the latest TV preacher.
I wasn't raised on this. I was raised on rule keeping and legalism. How many believers are crying out for God to change them, when the scripture says He already has? How many believers are begging God to forgive them, when He already has? How many are crying out for peace, when this says we ALREADY have it. All of it. You think God is witholding anything from you? That is a lie. A religious lie. Do you think you have to perform before God will bless you? Lie. He already has. With every blessing in heavenly places. (Eph. 1:3)
Do we really, I mean really believe that, 'our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.' (Rom. 6:6)
We should reckon it done. Not a doing. Not, "I'm going to do better today."

In Ephesians chapter 4, Paul begins to unpack Christian living. All of chapters 4 - 6 is worthless if the believer doesn't understand their identity "In Christ."

(Ephesians 4: 17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24) So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; 19 and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness. 20 But you did not learn Christ in this way, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, 22 that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, 23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth."
I put everything in bold that has to do with mindset. The new self has been created (already) by God in righteousness and holiness of truth.
This sounds a lot like Romans 12:1,2
Present yourself as a living sacrifice. Lay down the old self, and put on the new.
Or, you can just keep on trying to live up to religious performance.

You can't tell me that the Bible doesn't communicate that there is no distinction between HS living and self-help living. Sure there are skeptics. In that sense Paul is right. Even on the day of Pentecost, while many saw the manifestation of the HS and beleiverd, others scoffed accusing the disciples of being drunk. But there are others who are open. We are to let our light shine before men.
Last edited by jlay on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Well said Jlay,
I think it is important for us believers to recognize that, like ANY personal relationship we have, the love and the intimacy we have with God and Christ can't be proven to a skeptic.
It is for us, not for them.
AT best we can give reasonable evidence to why why believe and do our best to express our views in rational and reasonable ways BUT for the typical skeptic, all the evidence may not be enough for them to see proof and we have to accept that.
IMO, the inner witness of the HS is just that, INNER witness for the individual believer.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Ok.

But I thought on skeptic who is close to me and knows I have not visited any self-help seminar or such.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:Ok.

But I thought on skeptic who is close to me and knows I have not visited any self-help seminar or such.
My point is that many a skeptic will point out that many people have life altering experiences that change their lives for the noticeable better and they don't attribute them to God or any supernatural cause.