Does the bible claim hell is at the center of the earth?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Does the bible claim hell is at the center of the earth?

Post by PaulSacramento »

We must be quick to understand that our current of understanding of physical laws is just that, a CURRENT understanding.
The bible makes it clear that Christ's resurrected body ( at least the one He used while here after his resurrection) was very physical.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Neo wrote:
I do, but whatever is being resurrected can't be physical the same as we have, which is physical. The physical can't be eternal.
Neo, are you asserting that nothing physical can be eternal? Or are you asserting the physical as we know it, can't be eternal?
Exactly. There might very well be an extra-dimensional physical world we're not privy to at this stage. I mean if we don't believe that we might as well not believe in the resurrection and ascension either. After all, Jesus was bodily resurrected so where do you think he is right at this moment?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Neo wrote:
I do, but whatever is being resurrected can't be physical the same as we have, which is physical. The physical can't be eternal.
Neo, are you asserting that nothing physical can be eternal? Or are you asserting the physical as we know it, can't be eternal?
Exactly. There might very well be an extra-dimensional physical world we're not privy to at this stage. I mean if we don't believe that we might as well not believe in the resurrection and ascension either. After all, Jesus was bodily resurrected so where do you think he is right at this moment?
Byblos, why would it be important to believe in a literal resurrection and ascension of Christ? I mean, if Adam wasn't literally flesh and blood, then perhaps the comparison/contrast the bible makes about Adam and Christ, somehow means that Christ wasn't literally resurrected physically. I can't possibly see how a literal physical Adam, and a literal physical resurrection, could possibly be important to Christianity anyways. y[-( <<extreme sarcasm intended>>
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
Neo wrote:
In one way, both are the same thing. If you call the spirit physical for the lack of a better word then I understand, I think there is something which means hell and what Jesus described, and it is not a pleasant entity, I just don't think there is fire inside for fire is a chemical reaction in this universe and the spirit as is not physical can't be burned anymore than it can bound to gravity or torque.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The NT sates that Jesus said that fire CAN destroy the soul, it is in deed the only thing that can.
IMO I don't think he meant "plain ol fire" but only the fire of the Lake of Fire in "Hell".
But He was clear that fire ( "Hellfire") CAN and is the only think that will destroy the soul.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

PaulSacramento wrote:The NT sates that Jesus said that fire CAN destroy the soul, it is in deed the only thing that can.
IMO I don't think he meant "plain ol fire" but only the fire of the Lake of Fire in "Hell".
But He was clear that fire ( "Hellfire") CAN and is the only think that will destroy the soul.
I don't know, unless the phrase is metaphor it makes no sense to me. How can something non-physical be destroyed by something physical? Evades me.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

neo-x wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:The NT sates that Jesus said that fire CAN destroy the soul, it is in deed the only thing that can.
I don't know, unless the phrase is metaphor it makes no sense to me. How can something non-physical be destroyed by something physical? Evades me.
Jesus makes it clear that it is the "fire in Gehenna", so I would think that the soul/spirit CAN be destroyed by a fire that is of "it's reality", know what I mean?
Not just regular fire but a fire that is of the same "energy" as the soul/spirit.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

PaulSacramento wrote:
neo-x wrote:
Jesus makes it clear that it is the "fire in Gehenna", so I would think that the soul/spirit CAN be destroyed by a fire that is of "it's reality", know what I mean?
Not just regular fire but a fire that is of the same "energy" as the soul/spirit.
There is nothing in that passage which suggests that. Its a very abnormal use of it, the fire being of the same energy thing you write of.

without.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

neo-x wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
neo-x wrote:
There is nothing in that passage which suggests that. Its a very abnormal use of it, the fire being of the same energy thing you write of.
Yeah, I didn't convey what I was thinking very well on that, sorry.
"hell fire" is of the same reality that the soul/spirit is.
That is why only in "hell" can the spirit be destroyed.

The passage where Jesus warns to be fearful of that which can destroy the soul and it is echoed in Revelation with the final death for all who are note saved in the Lake of Fire.
It is clear that the immaterial soul/spirit CAN be destroyed and it seems that is in the Lake of fire.