Why does the bible require so much study?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why does the bible require so much study?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kurieuo wrote:I watched a video some time ago, of some Chinese people receiving the Bible and how overjoyed they were.

It made me pause and question within me how I felt about the Bible.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LcEDPRfHMY[/youtube]
Thanks for this, Kurieuo. I never knew how people who received free Bibles felt... The various Bible Societies around the world translate, publish & distribute Bibles free of charge to people in hostile countries, poor countries and prisons around the world. A worthy cause. Another way for us to lay up treasure in heaven.

Just Google ''Bible Society'' to find the one in your country.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Post by ChristianScientistAnn »

You sound like an agnostic to me, not an atheist.
There are zillions of Bible interpretations, but only the spiritual interpretation is the powerful one,- the one that is proven to bring repentance, cure, healing, transformation of life, and much more love, righteousness, and morals to society. As with flying, the higher the elevation of the spiritual interpretation, the more truth there is to the perspective, and the fewer entangling obstacles to understanding and progress. When it says that Jesus went up in a mountain to preach, it's interesting from a geographical and cultural and historical perspective, but the spiritual meaning is that his thinking was spiritually elevated to preach. Because of his inspired preaching, all of us can "go up the mountain" today. The Bible requires so much study, like the athlete requires much training, because it is absolutely necessary to win the "crown." It's SO worth it, and so rare today. I encourage you not to let these questions confound you, but take what you do understand and run with it! It's the "walk" that makes all this exciting, not the talk. It's all about the highest kind of love. I'm very grateful you are trying so hard.
Ann
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

When it says that Jesus went up in a mountain to preach, it's interesting from a geographical and cultural and historical perspective, but the spiritual meaning is that his thinking was spiritually elevated to preach. Because of his inspired preaching, all of us can "go up the mountain" today.
What do you mean by Jesus being spiritually elevated? Or by Jesus being inspired?
He is God. Did he need elevation or inspiration?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart