Venting.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Venting.

Post by 1over137 »

Silver, to some extent I know how that feels. There was time my family also probably thought I am brainwashed. Somehow I think such time will come again when I start to visit church (it is on my plan).

I would call it emotional extortion.

Peace, my brother. y@};-
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male

Post by Silvertusk »

1over137 wrote:Silver, to some extent I know how that feels. There was time my family also probably thought I am brainwashed. Somehow I think such time will come again when I start to visit church (it is on my plan).

I would call it emotional extortion.

Peace, my brother. y@};-
Thanks Hana. Sorry you are going through something similar.

I can just start to see family members distancing themselves. First my cousin for his militistic atheistics postings, now my Brother. When ever religion comes up with my Dad there is always tension and it usually ends up with me upset.

Most of the rest of my family on my Dads side is either atheist or would you believe it - Pagan.

Have a a few on my mum side that is Christian and that is a comfort.

Thank God (and I really mean that) that my wife is a strong Christian - in fact she was one of the catalysts for me becoming one.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Thankful for your wife.
I wish you peace in interacting with your family. Maybe one day they will see that you are loving and caring.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Silvertusk wrote:Well had another argument with my Brother. I deleted him as a friend from my facebook account because he was posting quite offensive things on it about Christianity. When he learned that this was the reason he went off on one stating that I have broken one more line of communication and that I care more about a man that lived 2000 years ago than I do about my family. Also that he has even less respect for religion now because it has made his little brother disrespectful and that he thought Christians were suppose to be "tolerant" and accused me of being intolerant to his postings.

To be honest I just despaired. I did not reply because I knew that it would result in a full blown argument. I know Jesus said this would happen but it makes me desperately sad that some people seem to hate what we believe in so much. I can imagine that my brother thinks I am being brainwashed against my family but the truth of the matter is that my family have moved away from me and cannot accept what I believe. What about their tolerance?

Makes me sad. :crying:
I'm sorry you're going through this with your brother Silver, I will keep you both in my prayers. I have a similar situation with my nephew who thinks he's God's gift to atheism. To make matters worse he is super smart, infinitely more so than anyone I know (he has a PHD in physics and acoustical engineering) which pretty much makes him impossible to reason with. All I can say is don't shut your brother out, keep reaching out to him. You never know what God's plan is for him and for you as an instrument to get to him.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Byblos wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:Well had another argument with my Brother. I deleted him as a friend from my facebook account because he was posting quite offensive things on it about Christianity. When he learned that this was the reason he went off on one stating that I have broken one more line of communication and that I care more about a man that lived 2000 years ago than I do about my family. Also that he has even less respect for religion now because it has made his little brother disrespectful and that he thought Christians were suppose to be "tolerant" and accused me of being intolerant to his postings.

To be honest I just despaired. I did not reply because I knew that it would result in a full blown argument. I know Jesus said this would happen but it makes me desperately sad that some people seem to hate what we believe in so much. I can imagine that my brother thinks I am being brainwashed against my family but the truth of the matter is that my family have moved away from me and cannot accept what I believe. What about their tolerance?

Makes me sad. :crying:
I'm sorry you're going through this with your brother Silver, I will keep you both in my prayers. I have a similar situation with my nephew who thinks he's God's gift to atheism. To make matters worse he is super smart, infinitely more so than anyone I know (he has a PHD in physics and acoustical engineering) which pretty much makes him impossible to reason with. All I can say is don't shut your brother out, keep reaching out to him. You never know what God's plan is for him and for you as an instrument to get to him.
Thanks for that Byblos. My brother sounds like your nephew. He is supersmart and like you said makes him impossible to reason with. I have actually prayed for and will keep praying for a Damascus Road experience to happen to my brother because if he ever did he would be an incredible defender of the faith.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silver,

This verse came to mind when you mentioned how smart he is:

Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

When you know you're going to talk to him, be prepared. Know scripture. One can't usually win a battle of wits against a genius, but God's word can speak to him.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony