Arizona Buisnesses May Be Able to Ban LBGT Customers

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Arizona Buisnesses May Be Able to Ban LBGT Customers

Post by Jac3510 »

I don't understand why any business of any kind should be required to grant service to anyone. If you refuse to serve someone, then that's your business. Do with it what you will. The markets will sort it out. The flip side is that people have a right not to shop at your establishment if they don't like our values.

And yes, I would extend that to people who want to ban me from their establishments for whatever reason they want as well. If someone doesn't want to serve me because I'm white or Christian or straight or blue-eyed or because they don't like 32 year old, then I shouldn't have the right to insist that they do so.

*shrug*

With that said, I don't think the ban is a good political idea. It obfuscates the real concerns relating to religious liberties lying behind the gay marriage debate. It's hard to see much upside to this idea at all.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Arizona Buisnesses May Be Able to Ban LBGT Customers

Post by jlay »

The article is a horrible display of journalism. Not once is the actual bill quoted or linked. Wouldn't it be great to actually review the content of the bill?
This just happened in Kansas where the legislation was squashed before it got to a vote. One article accused the bill of allowing Fire and Police to deny services to homosexuals. Having actually read the bill in its entirity, I can say that this was an absolute lie.
These bills are in response to real problems we see arrising. Catholic charities, who handles thousands of adoptions, has already withdrawn from states where they will be forced to allow adoption to same sex couples. A florist lost her business because she informed a same sex couple that she would not be comfortable offering her services because their union was against her personal religious position. They sued her, and the ensuing cost to fight the litigation caused her to lose her business.
The Kansas bill was poorly crafted and it is not surprising it was shot down. Unfortunately these cases will continue to escalate and this type of legislation will be deemed intolerant without anyone understanding the very real problem it is dealing with.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious