3 religons

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Starhunter
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: 3 religons

Post by Starhunter »

WannaLearn wrote:Ok lets say im not a christian how do I even know where to start with what religions I might even consider to be the correct one?
John 4:23,24. KJV.

Whoever asks the Q about which religion, usually has a particular need to be met, they want to have some assurance that they are able to connect to God - if they choose, - and then have confirmation of that fact.

Since established religions claim to be the 'advertising agents for God,' the enquirer gets confused.

Jesus effectively said that an establishment will not do it for you, because God is right with you, and can be worshiped in your own heart - the only church God has ordained.

For the Jew this takes them away from the wailing wall, the Islamist from reading out prayers, the Catholic from the confession box, the ecumenical from seeking spiritual highs, the legalist from the lack of victory, the Buddhist from humanism, the JW from being controlled by the elders, the Mormon from exclusivity, the Satanist from lies about power, the atheist from feeling excluded, and the hedonist from disappointment.

What if they don't know Christ or worship Him?

This immediate connection of worship to the God of heaven or creation, which anybody can understand, will drive them to Christ, they will have gratitude and want a closer walk with God. As Jesus said - anyone that comes to me has been drawn by my Father. The work of the Holy Spirit now can afford to be much stronger, because the person has an available refuge from the storms of conviction, that create a need for Christ as a sacrifice in their behalf.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

Starhunter wrote:
WannaLearn wrote:Ok lets say im not a christian how do I even know where to start with what religions I might even consider to be the correct one?
John 4:23,24. KJV.

Whoever asks the Q about which religion, usually has a particular need to be met, they want to have some assurance that they are able to connect to God - if they choose, - and then have confirmation of that fact.

Since established religions claim to be the 'advertising agents for God,' the enquirer gets confused.

Jesus effectively said that an establishment will not do it for you, because God is right with you, and can be worshiped in your own heart - the only church God has ordained.

For the Jew this takes them away from the wailing wall, the Islamist from reading out prayers, the Catholic from the confession box, the ecumenical from seeking spiritual highs, the legalist from the lack of victory, the Buddhist from humanism, the JW from being controlled by the elders, the Mormon from exclusivity, the Satanist from lies about power, the atheist from feeling excluded, and the hedonist from disappointment.

What if they don't know Christ or worship Him?

This immediate connection of worship to the God of heaven or creation, which anybody can understand, will drive them to Christ, they will have gratitude and want a closer walk with God. As Jesus said - anyone that comes to me has been drawn by my Father. The work of the Holy Spirit now can afford to be much stronger, because the person has an available refuge from the storms of conviction, that create a need for Christ as a sacrifice in their behalf.
There is a tradition of passing down the good news from mouth to mouth., from faithful congregation to the next., one would be at a loss if there were no one left as a "group" to rely on

If we were all in our own little minds thinking that we were alright and nobody else outside of us modern age theologians had it right., then., where would the old passdown faith be at?

It is not all solely about a classroom study., and it is not solely about a theological debate., it is not about modern theocracy of the western mind., most surely it is not

There is a "spiritual" sense to this all we perceive and declare

You can put all the science, all modern mind, all rationale and Greek stoicism ~> plus all psychology into it, but it all comes short without A GOOD SPIRIT

and A GOOD SPIRIT is hard to come by these days in a world of confusion

Science and Knowledge does not equal = A GOOD SPIRIT

A GOOD SPIRIT is from the LORD

and the LORD will talk to you in your heart and mind

Religion & Science aside
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by stuartcr »

WannaLearn wrote:How do you knock down the religions to only 3. Judaism, islam, and Christianity.
Why, if there truly is only one God? When someone prays to God, (regardless of how they perceive Him), how could the one God not hear?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:
WannaLearn wrote:How do you knock down the religions to only 3. Judaism, islam, and Christianity.
Why, if there truly is only one God? When someone prays to God, (regardless of how they perceive Him), how could the one God not hear?
I valid question.
I think that God does hear all prayers direct to Him IN FAITH and LOVE.
It is important to understand that all people believe because they CHOOSE to, they may follow a religion because they are forced BUT the believe because they choose to.
God KNOWS Us, He knows us better than we know ourselves and He knows WHY we pray to Him.
As a christian, my perspective is that Christ is the Son of God and Mediator between Man and God, so I direct my prayers THROUGH/TO Him.
I still talk to God but I know that talking to The Father IS talking to The Son, just as talking to The Son IS talking to The Father, but where does that leave those that do NOT believe in Christ and talk ONLY to The Father?
Well, to be honest, I leave that up to God BUT I would assume that God listens to those He KNOWS are HIS, regardless of where they may be in their faith IN HIM at anytime of their lives.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
I valid question.
It is important to understand that all people believe because they CHOOSE to, they may follow a religion because they are forced BUT the believe because they choose to.
God KNOWS Us, He knows us better than we know ourselves and He knows WHY we pray to Him.
As a christian, my perspective is that Christ is the Son of God and Mediator between Man and God, so I direct my prayers THROUGH/TO Him.
I still talk to God but I know that talking to The Father IS talking to The Son, just as talking to The Son IS talking to The Father, but where does that leave those that do NOT believe in Christ and talk ONLY to The Father?
Well, to be honest, I leave that up to God BUT I would assume that God listens to those He KNOWS are HIS, regardless of where they may be in their faith IN HIM at anytime of their lives.
I agree with God knowing why, but I do not think we choose to believe. I think God instills our beliefs or unbelief in Him, as He chooses, not us. As an example, I do not know how I could truly believe that a man came back from the dead. I could say I do, but as of this moment, I could not truly believe it, and I think God would know.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
I valid question.
I agree with God knowing why, but I do not think we choose to believe. I think God instills our beliefs or unbelief in Him, as He chooses, not us. As an example, I do not know how I could truly believe that a man came back from the dead. I could say I do, but as of this moment, I could not truly believe it, and I think God would know.
If we are free to reject God ( and we are), then we CHOOSE to believe.
Remember, God choose the 12 BUT some did not believe and Peter even rejected Christ 3 times at one point.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

How do you know we are free to reject God? Wouldn't God be the only one that would truly know that?
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Now we're getting into Calvinism of sorts, no?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Lonewolf wrote:Now we're getting into Calvinism of sorts, no?
I know very little about Calvinism.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:How do you know we are free to reject God? Wouldn't God be the only one that would truly know that?
We know we are free to reject him because we CAN.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I don't understand what rejecting God actually consists of. We certainly can't just stop believing something. God knows what is in us.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:I don't understand what rejecting God actually consists of. We certainly can't just stop believing something. God knows what is in us.
Rejecting God isn't not JUST not believing, fallen angels, demons, all believe in God and still reject Him.
Rejecting can be disbelief even when something deep down in us tells us to believe.
Rejecting is KNOW God and deciding to not want anything to do with Him.
Rejecting is actively going against God.
Etc, etc
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

stuartcr wrote:I don't understand what rejecting God actually consists of. We certainly can't just stop believing something. God knows what is in us.
According to the Bible, we are all wired to be friends forever with God, believers or not.
All human beings born, in whatever condition, have been given "a measure of faith."

Sin has turned the batteries in the head the other way around, so that nothing works properly.
But God has designed us all so that when the batteries are in the wrong way that we get uncomfortable signals and stings called the conscience. So God "knows what is in us" alright. He knows what He has made and likes us very much.

There is pain from having the batteries switched. This is what is meant when it says "there is no peace for the wicked." God "chastens those that He loves," in their interest, not as our earthly parents, who did it for mixed reasons.

This is the only reason God has allowed the world to suffer the consequences of their own actions. But you cannot be lost by bad circumstances, simply because love is stronger than death, and so it is in our hands what to do with it.

Can we know what is acceptable to God in black and white? Yes - the ten commandments - the law of God. In summary they spell "Love the Lord God with all your heart and your fellow as yourself."

Without this law, we have no certainty of our standing with God. A clear definition of what love is. Exodus 20.

Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15.

The question in our minds should not be whether we are sinning or not, but do we recognize love in the face of God, turn away from self, and look into the face that is prepared to die for you.

This mystery of the love of Christ in the heart will begin a new life, which is in harmony with the law of God. I say mystery because it is not our business how God does it, except we know that love transforms the life. Even animals know it !
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Rejecting God isn't not JUST not believing, fallen angels, demons, all believe in God and still reject Him.
Rejecting can be disbelief even when something deep down in us tells us to believe.
Rejecting is KNOW God and deciding to not want anything to do with Him.
Rejecting is actively going against God.
Etc, etc
I understand how someone can say they do not believe, but how is it possible that someone could not believe, when deep down they are told to believe? Besides, doesn't God really know what we truly believe? If so, then whatever we say or do, really doesn't matter, does it?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Starhunter wrote:
According to the Bible, we are all wired to be friends forever with God, believers or not.
All human beings born, in whatever condition, have been given "a measure of faith."

Sin has turned the batteries in the head the other way around, so that nothing works properly.
But God has designed us all so that when the batteries are in the wrong way that we get uncomfortable signals and stings called the conscience. So God "knows what is in us" alright. He knows what He has made and likes us very much.

There is pain from having the batteries switched. This is what is meant when it says "there is no peace for the wicked." God "chastens those that He loves," in their interest, not as our earthly parents, who did it for mixed reasons.

This is the only reason God has allowed the world to suffer the consequences of their own actions. But you cannot be lost by bad circumstances, simply because love is stronger than death, and so it is in our hands what to do with it.

How does that work with non-Christians?

Can we know what is acceptable to God in black and white? Yes - the ten commandments - the law of God. In summary they spell "Love the Lord God with all your heart and your fellow as yourself."

Without this law, we have no certainty of our standing with God. A clear definition of what love is. Exodus 20.

Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15.

The question in our minds should not be whether we are sinning or not, but do we recognize love in the face of God, turn away from self, and look into the face that is prepared to die for you.

This mystery of the love of Christ in the heart will begin a new life, which is in harmony with the law of God. I say mystery because it is not our business how God does it, except we know that love transforms the life. Even animals know it !