IF YEC is True, Why So Much Evidence Pointing to OEC?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: IF YEC is True, Why So Much Evidence Pointing to OEC?

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:
Jac wrote:
And I'll add this. As firm as I am that the linguistic evidence is absolutely undeniable that yom refers to ordinary days, it is more clear still that Genesis depicts Noah's flood as global. "Under the whole heaven" cannot be reinterpreted locally, a conveniently ignored fact in Rich's article.
Can't the word for "heaven", shamayim, mean "visible sky"?
It can mean "sky." I don't know what you would mean by "visible" sky. The point is that Moses says that all the high mountains under the WHOLE SKY were covered. It does not say "all the sky in a particular region." Besdies, such language would be a bit silly and even self-defeating so interpreted. The Hebrew text is instructive here. It says:
  • וְהַמַּיִם גָּבְרוּ מְאֹד מְאֹד עַל־הָאָרֶץ וַיְכֻסּוּ כָּל־הֶֽהָרִים הַגְּבֹהִים אֲשֶׁר־תַּחַת כָּל־הַשָּׁמָֽיִם

veha'mayim gaberu meod meod al-ha'aretz vayekusu kal-ha'hariym ha'gebohiym esher-tathath kal-ha'shamayim
The first word means "and the waters." The second word means "prevailed." (That's an interesting choice of word from a theological and exegetical perspective, by the way--it has the idea of overpowering.) Notice the third and the fourth words are identical. This means that this is a point of emphasis. Meod means "greatly," so meod meod means "exceedingly greatly!" If Moses were writing on a forum, he would have written, "And the waters covered the earth GREATLY." The fourth word means "the earth." The fifth means "And [they] were covered," with the [they] being taken up by the sixth word, "the mountains." But Moses wasn't content to say that the mountains were covered. He says ALL (kal-) of them, and to make the matter even more, he says that all the HIGH or GREAT mountains were covered (that being the seventh word). And finally, if that doesn't get the picture, the eighth word (esher-tathath) means "which are under" and starts a clause the further describes these all these great high mountains. And what are they under? The ninth and last word--ALL the heaven/sky.

Now, in Hebrew, one of the ways you make a point is with emphasis. Moses didn't just say that the hills in the country were covered up with water. He said

1. The water overpowered
2. That it did so not just greatly, but exceedingly greatly
3. That in overpowering, it covered the earth/land
4. That this land included the mountains
5. That these mountains were not just mountains, but HIGH mountains
6. That we are talking about ALL the mountains
7. That we are talking about all the mountains under the heaven
8. And not just any heaven/sky, but the WHOLE sky

And that is just in one verse. Moses makes similar emphases in the verses before and after. He repeats the word "prevailed/overpowered" three times in three verses. The picture is universal devastation. To not see that is just not to take seriously how much emphasis Moses is making here. And this is all before we start talking about the fact that Gen 1-11 is universal in nature. It's not until Gen 12 that Moses shifts his interests to a particular family/area.

No . . . the local flood is even sillier than the days-are-ages riff. Sorry, but it just is, Rick. I mean no offense. It's just obvious when you take the text seriously. It is so obvious that, AGAIN, no church father and I know of no ancient Jewish interpreter interpreted the text locally (with the one exception being Pseudo-Justin, a fifth century document). The paucity of that evidence ought to be clear in Rick's claim (same article mentioned above) that ancient Jewish interpreters DID take a local flood from this text out of Josephus:
  • Now all the writers of barbarian [Greek] histories make mention of this flood and of this ark: among whom is Berosus the Chaldean... Hieronymous the Egyptian.... Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them, where he speaks thus: 'There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris, upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved. This might be the man about whom Moses, the legislator of the Jews wrote'."
And because Josephus doesn't CORRECT these local floods and say it was really global, therefore, Josephus thought it was local . . . right . . . :lol:

Once again, the point remains that the local flood is an eisogetical interpretation. It comes out of what I take to be an embarrassment of the biblical account as it is written, not a sincere attempt to understand what the text actually says. So, instead, we reject what the text actually says, we deny it and read into it meanings that are not there (and thus the appeal Ps 104). It's just a response to modern science. Put differently, it is a reinterpretation of the text driven by science. But the question becomes, as always, what WARRANT is there in the text to justify a local reading? And, of course, there is none. This reminds me of when an atheist told me that aliens probably stole Jesus' body. Sure, that is a possible reinterpretation of the events, I suppose. But what is the WARRANT? Just because something can be conceived doesn't mean it is a serious possibility that ought to be entertained. The global flood is warranted by the plain language of the text that uses repeated universal terms and major emphasis on the universal nature of the catastrophe. And where is the warrant for the local flood? It's not there, and no one thought there might be one until modern science came along.

I'm not impressed. No, "the whole heavens" means just what it says. It means the entire sky. All of it. Not part of it.

edit:
I'm just thinking out loud, but could "Under the whole heaven", be similar to when we say in English "the whole sky is gray today"? Obviously we mean the whole sky as far as we can see.
No, because in English "the whole sky is gray" is talking about a specifically visual phenomenon. A better comparison in English would be, "I've driven every road under the sky" or "I've been in every country under heaven" or "I own all the land under the whole sky." That kind of language doesn't lend itself to local interpretations. In fact, were you to say any of those, people would rightly assume you were exaggerating to make a point. But do we assume that Moses was exaggerating? Of course not. He is talking about ALL the HIGH mountains under the WHOLE heaven being GREATLY COVERED and OVERPOWERED by the waters.

That's not exaggeration. That's making sure you get the point. The flood was universal in scope. It covered absolutely everything.
Last edited by Jac3510 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

But "earth" can also mean land, local land. :poke:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I'm probably going to bow out of this, because I know how our discussions have gone in the past. And honestly, I don't want to see that again.

I just think the text allows for an old earth interpretation, and I'll leave it at that.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Your point?

Again, you aren't dealing with the question of warrant. That's just one of the major problems OEC doesn't bother addressing--that in addition to the eisogesis problem. You confuse (partially) explaining away a text with offering a warranted interpretation. Again, frankly, the OEC view just doesn't Hebrew composition seriously.

And if you don't want to press it, that's fine. But I'll say as a final word that the difference in me and you is that I give reasons why we ought to accept a particular reading. You just give a possible reading without any reason as to why we ought adopt it, and that in the face of overwhelming contextual and linguistic evidence AGAINST that position. So what is your warrant? Nothing more than harmonization with modern science. Which is to say, eisogesis, which is to say, not taking the text seriously.

:wave:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Your point?

Again, you aren't dealing with the question of warrant. That's just one of the major problems OEC doesn't bother addressing--that in addition to the eisogesis problem. You confuse (partially) explaining away a text with offering a warranted interpretation. Again, frankly, the OEC view just doesn't Hebrew composition seriously.

And if you don't want to press it, that's fine. But I'll say as a final word that the difference in me and you is that I give reasons why we ought to accept a particular reading. You just give a possible reading without any reason as to why we ought adopt it, and that in the face of overwhelming contextual and linguistic evidence AGAINST that position. So what is your warrant? Nothing more than harmonization with modern science. Which is to say, eisogesis, which is to say, not taking the text seriously.

Jac,

Obviously I don't have the ability that you have to study the text. There are people who know hebrew a lot better than I do, that also agree that an old earth fits the text.

It's funny to me as someone who is a layman. I'm not very versed in Hebrew. And I'm not a scientist. You know hebrew pretty well, and you believe in YEC. Some Christian scientists who know science well, believe in OEC.

Since I can't match wits in a discussion about hebrew, and I can't match wits with a scientist about science, I'm just left with the conclusion that it's really not worth the battle. I'm content with believing it's an issue that can be disagreed upon by believers.

And if God wants to show me something I'm missing, I'm open to that too.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Let me remind everybody that God's word is revealed over time and it has at the right time in the past proved both Christians wrong and non-Christians wrong.There was a time when Christians did not know about germs,viruses,etc and how sicknesses are spread they believe based on their interpretation that it was the devil making people sick such as when the black plague hit Christians were just as dumb at the time based on their interpretation of the bible as science and doctors were however once doctors discovered germs and how they are spread then Christians realized how wrong they were and they realized the whole time there were about 300 biblical laws on cleanliness and sanitation in the bible that they had took for granted and now it is scientific proof the bible is true.

But everybody forgets what Christians believed based on their interpretation of scripture before science made these discoveries about how germs and sicknesses are spread and the same thing is happening now YEC have interpreted the bible to think it says the earth is only 6000 years when it does not say this at all and despite all of the scientific evidence to the contrary we must ignore science and get behind them in their desire to defend God's word from those "evil evolutionists". When what they are doing is so wrong scientifically that the church has effectively lost the ability to minister the gospel to the educated masses, and no it is not just because of Satan's deceptions that this is true,it is because YEC interpret the bible to say the earth is only about 6000 years old.

The fact is their interpretation is wrong,as nowhere in the bible does it tell us the earth is 6000 years old and yet they ignore and suppress any biblical reasons and evidence to the contrary.This is why none of the science coming out backs up their interpretation because their interpretation is wrong but they expect us to ignore the scientific evidence based on their interpretation when the old earth Gap theory that was the bread and butter teaching of much of the church until the 1950's is the true biblical interpretation and science backs it up too,but they put out false information and lies about the old earth Gap theory that would prove God's word true scientifically jut like it did when germs were discovered and science made their discoveries about them and God's word was proven true.The same thing is happening now.

Also Christians at one time based on their interpretation once thought the sun goes around the earth and yet were wrong the same thing is happening with their young earth interpretation and it is unnecessary when there are brothers in Christ who know it that they ignore and criticize.

YEC actually don't trust the bible IMO because they should have faith that as time goes on just like many times in the past God's word will prove itself it is true as discoveries are made.Look at all of the things we have discovered in history,science,archeology,bible prophecy,etc that have confirm the bible true yet it ceases now according to them and I don't buy it.It is their interpretation that is wrong,the earth is not 6000 years old according to what the bible tells us.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Your point?

Jac,

Obviously I don't have the ability that you have to study the text. There are people who know hebrew a lot better than I do, that also agree that an old earth fits the text.

It's funny to me as someone who is a layman. I'm not very versed in Hebrew. And I'm not a scientist. You know hebrew pretty well, and you believe in YEC. Some Christian scientists who know science well, believe in OEC.

Since I can't match wits in a discussion about hebrew, and I can't match wits with a scientist about science, I'm just left with the conclusion that it's really not worth the battle. I'm content with believing it's an issue that can be disagreed upon by believers.

And if God wants to show me something I'm missing, I'm open to that too.

With all due respect,even if you don't know Hebrew you don't have to know Hebrew to realize that going back 6000 years based on genealogies only takes us back to Adam and Eve NOT the creation of the heavens and earth and if we examine Genesis 1 we read it and realize the first day does not start until verse 3 when God sais Let there be light" and before this the heavens and earth are already created before the first day in verse 3. So based on this going back 6000 years does not do anything. Do this look at Genesis 1 and notice everything God does on each day and if you do this you'll know the heavens and earth were already created before the first day. And heavens includes all of the planets,stars,sun and moon the whole universe including the 3 heavens that we know about.And this clearly proves the heavens and earth are not 6000 years old.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:I'm probably going to bow out of this, because I know how our discussions have gone in the past. And honestly, I don't want to see that again.

I just think the text allows for an old earth interpretation, and I'll leave it at that.
Regardless of what the text is seen to allow for, the belief that there was ever a world wide flood cannot be supported by anything outside of the bible.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:I'm probably going to bow out of this, because I know how our discussions have gone in the past. And honestly, I don't want to see that again.

Regardless of what the text is seen to allow for, the belief that there was ever a world wide flood cannot be supported by anything outside of the bible.
FYI, since you quoted me, I don't think the bible says there was a worldwide flood either. Not that it matters what I think. :ewink:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

FYI, since you quoted me, I don't think the bible says there was a worldwide flood either. Not that it matters what I think. :ewink:
sounds as if we are in the same ark.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Maybe, but you're one of the animals. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Maybe, but you're one of the animals. :pound:
That isnt actually funny, but I laughed anyway.

Must be easy to please today.

Anyhow..

Often enough, something like that marks the end of a thread.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:

I do believe in a world wide flood and although I cannot prove it happened I can give scientific evidence that makes it very possible that it happened and it is not impossible like atheists think.There is more evidence for a world wide flood than there is for macro-evolution.

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audie wrote:

I do believe in a world wide flood and although I cannot prove it happened I can give scientific evidence that makes it very possible that it happened and it is not impossible like atheists think.There is more evidence for a world wide flood than there is for macro-evolution.
I can certainly prove it did not, starting with the polar ice thats been there over a hundred thousand years. Its got NOTHING to do with atheism. Educated Christians know better than to think there was such a flood.

As for the "macroevolution' thing, that is irrelevant, as well as untrue.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audie wrote:

I can certainly prove it did not, starting with the polar ice thats been there over a hundred thousand years. Its got NOTHING to do with atheism. Educated Christians know better than to think there was such a flood.

As for the "macroevolution' thing, that is irrelevant, as well as untrue.
According to NOAA the average depth of the ocean is 14,000 feet but it goes down over 36,000 feet this is deeper than any mountain on land is tall including the Grand Canyon if we leveled out the surface of the earth under the oceans the whole earth would be flooded right now.Also there is more water inside the earth than on it.

Psalm 104:5-9 is proven true based on the evidence I have given and yet Psalm 104:5-9"Who laid the foundations of the earth,that it should not be removed?:Thou coveredst it with the deep as wih a garmet:the waters stood above the mountains.At thy rebuke they fled;at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.They go up by the mountains;they go down to the place which thou hast founded for them.Thou hast set a boundary that they may not pass over;that they turn not again to cover the earth."

This is King David writing this praise song to God and yet I just proved it scientifically true according to the depth of the ocean,the valleys and deep trenches that make it so deep,the sea shore and the fact that there is more water inside the earth than on it - a place God has founded for the water. Did King David living in the bronze age have technology like we do today to know the oceans are so deep,there are deep trenches on the sea floor and a place for the waters that once covered the earth that were up by the mountains.I guess he could tell by swimming in it?