Yet *Another* Beginningless-Universe Model . . .

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Yet *Another* Beginningless-Universe Model . . .

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:
Jac wrote:
... If God chose to create an eternally existing universe, then why not?...
I don't know if it's just me, but that doesn't make any sense. If something could exist eternally(without beginning or end), then it wouldn't be created, right? y:-?

Thank you Jac for that thoughtful response. And Rick - i totally agree with you here. Which for me it is a major theological problem. And going back to Genesis 1:1 I take some of the alternatives you suggested (I know you don't ascribe to any of them in particular) but the problem is not just in Genesis 1:1 but all through the bible - In the Psalms and the first chapter of John for example where God's creative power is described.
Silver,

Unless I'm missing something, I cannot see how an eternal universe would not be a MAJOR problem for the existence of God. Doesn't it go against what we believe about only God being eternal?
Well, one can argue that eternal is but ONE of God's qualities and if God has been around eternally then He has to have been "somewhere" eternally and that "somewhere" could be called the universe.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:
Jac wrote:
I don't know if it's just me, but that doesn't make any sense. If something could exist eternally(without beginning or end), then it wouldn't be created, right? y:-?

Thank you Jac for that thoughtful response. And Rick - i totally agree with you here. Which for me it is a major theological problem. And going back to Genesis 1:1 I take some of the alternatives you suggested (I know you don't ascribe to any of them in particular) but the problem is not just in Genesis 1:1 but all through the bible - In the Psalms and the first chapter of John for example where God's creative power is described.
Silver,

Unless I'm missing something, I cannot see how an eternal universe would not be a MAJOR problem for the existence of God. Doesn't it go against what we believe about only God being eternal?

Exactly. This is my point as well.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Even IF the universe has been around forever, the fact is that we know it is changing ( expanding).
I don't know o f anyone that believes the universe has always been the exact way it is right now.
And I question that as well. Can something that is eternal, change? If it changes, then something outside of it must be causing it to change. And that gets back to the first uncaused cause.

How can God be eternal, and the universe be eternal, unless the the universe is God?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:
Jac wrote:

Silver,

Well, one can argue that eternal is but ONE of God's qualities and if God has been around eternally then He has to have been "somewhere" eternally and that "somewhere" could be called the universe.
Paul,

The universe is physical. God doesn't have to be "somewhere", because He is spirit, right?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Slightly related to this thread as it is about Quantum Mechanics - have a look at these two videos - completely blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5pq7W5yRM#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Xsp4F ... K_&index=1

Edit: Maybe the world is not physical after all.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Eternal procession aside(only God is eternal in the true sense. No beginning nor end, and The Son is God, so he is eternal), please explain how it can be logical for God to create something without a beginning, such as an eternal universe. If God creates it, it comes into existence. If it comes into existence, then it had a beginning.
If the Son can eternally proceed from the Father, why can't the universe?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Eternal procession aside(only God is eternal in the true sense. No beginning nor end, and The Son is God, so he is eternal), please explain how it can be logical for God to create something without a beginning, such as an eternal universe. If God creates it, it comes into existence. If it comes into existence, then it had a beginning.
If the Son can eternally proceed from the Father, why can't the universe?
I would say because the universe is not God, and the Son is.

Only God is eternal.

What am I missing?

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

More later, but for now, let's not confuse beginningless with eternal. Even if the universe has always existed, it would not be eternal. Only God is eternal. The universe would still be contingent on God, so while the divine procession of Christ provides a logical analogue, it is only an analogue, because Christ is eternal (ant not merely beginningless). So it is true that you can't have both an eternal universe and an eternal God. But it is not true that you cannot have a beginningless, contingent universe and an eternal God.

edit:

And just to emphasize again, I do believe the universe had a true beginning. I'm just saying that we ought not base our faith in God on that idea, and we certainly ought not allow ourselves or anyone else to suggest that a beginningless universe would create a problem for theism. For even if the universe had always existed, it would still demand God exist as we know and understand Him to be.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:More later, but for now, let's not confuse beginningless with eternal. Even if the universe has always existed, it would not be eternal. Only God is eternal. The universe would still be contingent on God, so while the divine procession of Christ provides a logical analogue, it is only an analogue, because Christ is eternal (ant not merely beginningless). So it is true that you can't have both an eternal universe and an eternal God. But it is not true that you cannot have a beginningless, contingent universe and an eternal God.

edit:

And just to emphasize again, I do believe the universe had a true beginning. I'm just saying that we ought not base our faith in God on that idea, and we certainly ought not allow ourselves or anyone else to suggest that a beginningless universe would create a problem for theism. For even if the universe had always existed, it would still demand God exist as we know and understand Him to be.
Jac,

I'm still not grasping this. How can the universe be without beginning, unless the universe is God?

Specifically this:
Jac wrote:
...But it is not true that you cannot have a beginningless, contingent universe and an eternal God...
Explain how can something be both beginningless AND contingent?

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

When did the number three come into existence?

I would suggest that the number three is beginningless. It has always existed. Even in eternity past (whatever that means), it has existed, because there have "always been" (in the sense of not having a beginning) Three Persons in the Trinity.

So does the number three prove God doesn't exist? Or does the reality of threeness exist only because God does? (Ignoring some of the Platonic language there, btw, the point is still the same)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:When did the number three come into existence?

I would suggest that the number three is beginningless. It has always existed. Even in eternity past (whatever that means), it has existed, because there have "always been" (in the sense of not having a beginning) Three Persons in the Trinity.

So does the number three prove God doesn't exist? Or does the reality of threeness exist only because God does? (Ignoring some of the Platonic language there, btw, the point is still the same)
But Jac,

The number three isn't physical. The universe is. Or at the very least, the universe consists of the physical.

Edit***
Jac, I'm basically getting at the same issue here.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote: The universe is physical. God doesn't have to be "somewhere", because He is spirit, right?
Its wording, humans trying to describe things the best they can and we typically come up short.
Point being is that even if the universe ( and by universe I mean all that exists) was eternal, that doesn't really effect God like you said.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote: The universe is physical. God doesn't have to be "somewhere", because He is spirit, right?
Its wording, humans trying to describe things the best they can and we typically come up short.
Point being is that even if the universe ( and by universe I mean all that exists) was eternal, that doesn't really effect God like you said.
And again, I'm asking what I'm missing.
How can something physical be eternal? Unless you're suggesting pantheism(which I know you're not), I just can't see it.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I hear you keep asking about why something physical can't be beginningless (sorry, I won't use the word eternal--they mean different things). Are you conceding that immaterial things can be beginningless? Is your question limited only to physical things?

edit:

And are you talking about a single thing or a series of things? The universe is not a single entity. Is is a collection of entities. When people suggest a beginningless universe, they are not saying that a single thing has always existed, but that there have always been things causing other things.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
And again, I'm asking what I'm missing.
How can something physical be eternal? Unless you're suggesting pantheism(which I know you're not), I just can't see it.
The universe is all the exists, according to some, so if God exists He must be somehow part of/related to the universe and He is BUT not as part of but as SUSTAIN-ER of.
When people speak of the universe, they speak of all that there is as defined on wiki for example:
The Universe is the totality of everything that exists, has existed, and ever will exist.
Or:
The totality of matter, energy, and space, including the Solar System, the galaxies, and the contents of the space between the galaxies.
Whichever definition you may prefer, the point is that if you define the universe as the above then even if the universe is eternal, that has no baring on God because the only thing they would share is the nature ofbeing eternal.
God is still the sustainer and, as we know, since the universe is changing (expanding) then it can't be the unmoved mover, which is God.