Muslim Woman Hugs Christian Protester

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Muslim Woman Hugs Christian Protester

Post by B. W. »

neo-x wrote:....B.W, it's an out of context selection of the verse. Many Muslims disagree with this interpretation, citing that it was only for that period in time when there was a breach in a peace agreement between Muslims and Christians and Jews.
Neo where are these Many Muslims?

Probably silenced or killed.

Islam deliberatly breeches the peace anyways so that argument has no truth.

As a matter of fact, does not Islam define he terms for what makes this peace between Jews, Christians, and other faiths?

Have you asked the many how they define this peace?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

neo-x wrote:B.W, it's an out of context selection of the verse. Many Muslims disagree with this interpretation, citing that it was only for that period in time when there was a breach in a peace agreement between Muslims and Christians and Jews.
That's precisely the problem with Islam. No one can really tell you what verses are still in effect and which ones no longer apply. The process of abrogator and abrogated is deliberately misleading and only the most learned among Muslim scholars know which verses were abrogated by which other ones.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

While a religion built upon a person and his associates who brought war,
took children as wives and ultimately deceived people re: God and truth deserves no respect...

Nonetheless, there are divides within Islam amongst Muslims like there are in Christianity.
One might quip that no one in Christianity can tell you what is real or spiritualised in Scripture, old or new.
Such only shows a lack of understanding in Christian theology and willingness to delve into the issues.

So possibly, this really depends on which type of Muslim you go to.

Perhaps Sunnis would be more inclined to accept neo-x's understanding.
I doubt Shi'ites would though unless trying to be purposefully misleading.
One phrase comes to mind here: Al-taqiyya

I think it important to at least try understanding distinctions rather than broadly stroke.
Neo-x has had much closer contact with Muslims than probably any of us, so that counts for something.
I'm sure he would have picked up on any double-talk with such.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

B. W. wrote:
neo-x wrote:....B.W, it's an out of context selection of the verse. Many Muslims disagree with this interpretation, citing that it was only for that period in time when there was a breach in a peace agreement between Muslims and Christians and Jews.
Neo where are these Many Muslims?

Probably silenced or killed.

Islam deliberately breeches the peace anyways so that argument has no truth.

As a matter of fact, does not Islam define he terms for what makes this peace between Jews, Christians, and other faiths?

Have you asked the many how they define this peace?
-
-
-
Islam is as fractured as Christianity when it comes to interpretation of the texts. There are many schools of thought.

What I do know is that many Muslims in my daily life while knowing that verse, have been very friendly, and in talks many often said that such and such verse does not apply today as it was for a particular time.

I often cite that the first agreement between the Jews and Muslims happened when M had migrated to Medina, and there he hosted the Jew envoy in a mosque, the first mosque in Medina. It was an effective agreement too and was only violated much later down the road when Christians got involved politically in the Arabian Peninsula.

For example, a lot of people, think ISIS represents Islam, but they represent a very hardcore militant version of the Salafi sect. They don't even follow Islam correctly. They are as relevant to Islam as Mormons are to Christianity.

I am not trying to sugar coat anything either. Just saying that the proper sharia law makes a certain guarantee that is, tax (Jazia) which is demanded from any non-Muslim in a Muslim country and as long as he pays that, he is given protection by the state except when engaged in blasphemy, that is the only unpardonable crime in Islam. It is also often forgotten by the masses, but as far as Islamic theology, on paper, is concerned, you have your answer.

Sharia law is quite straightforward and not at all democratic or lenient, much like the law of Moses. So don't expect the N.T values from there.

During the crusades, almost the same rules were put down by Christian authorities on non-Christians.

Islam needs its period of enlightenment same as Christianity needed 500 years ago.
Last edited by neo-x on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Byblos wrote:
neo-x wrote:B.W, it's an out of context selection of the verse. Many Muslims disagree with this interpretation, citing that it was only for that period in time when there was a breach in a peace agreement between Muslims and Christians and Jews.
That's precisely the problem with Islam. No one can really tell you what verses are still in effect and which ones no longer apply. The process of abrogator and abrogated is deliberately misleading and only the most learned among Muslim scholars know which verses were abrogated by which other ones.
And even they disagree on that. There is no consensus.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Kurieuo wrote:While a religion built upon a person and his associates who brought war,
took children as wives and ultimately deceived people re: God and truth deserves no respect...

Nonetheless, there are divides within Islam amongst Muslims like there are in Christianity.
One might quip that no one in Christianity can tell you what is real or spiritualised in Scripture, old or new.
Such only shows a lack of understanding in Christian theology and willingness to delve into the issues.

So possibly, this really depends on which type of Muslim you go to.

Perhaps Sunnis would be more inclined to accept neo-x's understanding.
I doubt Shi'ites would though unless trying to be purposefully misleading.
One phrase comes to mind here: Al-taqiyya

I think it important to at least try understanding distinctions rather than broadly stroke.
Neo-x has had much closer contact with Muslims than probably any of us, so that counts for something.
I'm sure he would have picked up on any double-talk with such.
I know Muslims who call me or non-muslims, swine and "choora" which roughly translates to people who eat from the gutter and many times they call it to your face as well. There is plenty of discrimination too but its expected and somehow millions of Christian people are living in a country like mine. But I know many good poeple too. Exceptional people, loving people. I know a Muslim family that I wish every family would be like. Absolutely loving and God fearing people and over the years I have only seen love pour out of them for everyone.

without.