Christianity Today on Trump

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Christianity Today on Trump

Post by PaulSacramento »

edwardmurphy wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I should have been clear that the article should have stated that Hillary is immoral too.
Most self-identified Evangelicals already think that. The author's goal wasn't to preach to the choir, it was to challenge them on their overwhelming support of Donald Trump.
When your headline reads:
Evangelicals, of all people, should not be silent about Donald Trump's blatant immorality.

And then you state:
The Democratic nominee has pursued unaccountable power through secrecy—most evidently in the form of an email server designed to shield her communications while in public service, but also in lavishly compensated speeches, whose transcripts she refuses to release, to some of the most powerful representatives of the world system. She exemplifies the path to power preferred by the global technocratic elite—rooted in a rigorous control of one’s image and calculated disregard for norms that restrain less powerful actors. Such concentration of power, which is meant to shield the powerful from the vulnerability of accountability, actually creates far greater vulnerabilities, putting both the leader and the community in greater danger.
Well...
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I heard about this article and it saddened me and this song came to mind.

Judge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfVgimfNm4I
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Thing is, concerning many evangelicals who nonetheless will vote for Trump: Don't stereotype them into merely being naive Trump stooges. The reality is that they can't stand many things about him - see him as being often crude, perhaps misogynist, unnecessarily abrasive, offensive, and maybe that he's not even a Christian. But their dilemma is that they see Hillary and Bubba as being a far greater danger, and thus they feel they have no choice, if they'd like to minimize the harm the Clintons returning to office would cause. Huge numbers of evangelicals will not feel terribly happy when they pull the lever for Trump!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

To add onto Philip's words, there will NEVER be a Messiah President.

Democrats look for their own, Republicans look for their own, but there will never be one.

People should always think in terms of policies and issues and which can bring positive changes. Besides Middle Eastern affairs, WWIII w/ Russia which Hillary is absolutely atrocious on, a crystal clear issue for me is:
  • Support for termination of selling of babies body parts up until full-term (Hillary stands with Planned Parenthood)

versus

Protection of ALL human life (unlike previous Republicans who twiddle their thumbs, Trump/Pence have declared that they will reverse Roe vs. Wade!)
Trump is like a strong spearhead, a bull that just charges at a flag being waved. Point him in the right direction and there is hope for change. Especially with Pence's values and the like, positive differences can be made.

What hope for change will Hillary bring? Nothing good anyone here could really admire.

There are only two who are seriously electable. People should NOT choose a Messiah, but the side who will most likely bring positive changes that align with their beliefs and values.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Quite honestly, when the reason to vote for someone is "the lesser of two evils", then you know you have a far bigger problem than simply have crappy choices.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Better to Vote for Cyrus rather than Jezebel....
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

PaulSacramento wrote:Interesting article.
Of course it needs to also address that Clinton is no better and, perhaps, far worse, so in reality what the article should point out is that a Christians should, as a form of protest, NEVER vote for ANY candidate that is not a moral and ethical person and that is NOT on the side of Christ.
Which would mean that Christians would probably never vote, and some do NOT just for this reason.
May all who would otherwise vote for Trump take your advice.
ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

B. W. wrote:Better to Vote for Cyrus rather than Jezebel....
-
-
-
Better to vote for Cleopatra rather than Caligula.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

ultimate777 wrote:
-
-
-
Better to vote for Cleopatra rather than Caligula.
Cryus freed the Jewish people and let them return home and honored their faith. Who will do that? You decide.

As for Jezebel, she corrupted the Jewish leadership and religion to serve Ba'al, killed off opposition to her schemes.

Washington Post: Hillary Clinton is a threat to religious liberty

Both Cleopatra and Caligula are both fitting descriptions of Jezebel too so thank you for that post!
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

-
-
-
Which still doesn't address the real problem:
No one worth voting for.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:
-
-
-
Which still doesn't address the real problem:
No one worth voting for.
Well K answered this:
Kurieuo wrote:To add onto Philip's words, there will NEVER be a Messiah President.

Democrats look for their own, Republicans look for their own, but there will never be one.

People should always think in terms of policies and issues and which can bring positive changes. Besides Middle Eastern affairs, WWIII w/ Russia which Hillary is absolutely atrocious on, a crystal clear issue for me is:
  • Support for termination of selling of babies body parts up until full-term (Hillary stands with Planned Parenthood)

versus

Protection of ALL human life (unlike previous Republicans who twiddle their thumbs, Trump/Pence have declared that they will reverse Roe vs. Wade!)
Trump is like a strong spearhead, a bull that just charges at a flag being waved. Point him in the right direction and there is hope for change. Especially with Pence's values and the like, positive differences can be made.

What hope for change will Hillary bring? Nothing good anyone here could really admire.

There are only two who are seriously electable. People should NOT choose a Messiah, but the side who will most likely bring positive changes that align with their beliefs and values.
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I wonder if the unforseen is going to happen, and that the media and polls are wrong and Trump gets elected? Maybe??? If so, I can predict mayhem in the streets, because the far left loonies will be out in force, foaming at the mouth, and worse.

But if Trump loses, he will have shown the Republican elites a few lessons. If they are unwilling to go after progressives where their history has shown great stupidity, waste and bad choices. But trying to look like conservative lites is not what has propelled Trump. What has ruined him is his own stupidity and loose mouth. He is a very mixed bag! But if people think Hillary wins due to her track record - so silly. It's just that Trump has unnecessarily pushed the wrong buttons on many sensible, if over-sensitive, people. And if Trump loses, he'll be the subject of great disdain of conservatives - a wasted moment in which a good conservative could have been elected. He has really pissed off a lot of women who would otherwise have been willing to vote for a good Republican. But I think Cruz' candidacy also helped Trump and hurt other Republicans.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I think Christians need to stop being naive in voting on a person, I mean how'd that work with Bush? How'd that work for any leader you voted for? Rather, vote with utilitarian motivations.
  • Utilititarian: designed to be useful or practical rather than attractive.
All things being equal, Trump has on many occasion said he'll turn back the tide against Christianity and attacks upon religious expression and freedoms to believe what we believe and stick to our beliefs. He has also advocated advancing many commonly shared beliefs with the status quo of Christianity.

For Christians, and this would freak all leftists, there is be no higher meaning in the world than Christ Himself. So then, how could we not vote for a leader, regardless of whether they're secular, Christian or otherwise who would nonetheless support and advance the Christian plight? Indeed, with a 2IC who seems to have very well-reasoned Christian beliefs.

On the other side, we have Catholics and Evangelicals being laughed and scoffed out (as was released in a Wikileaks leak). The biggest myth I see, are with those who try to wash their hands by saying things like "Both sides are equal", "no change will ever happen", "the world will still continue regardless" and the like, then they bury their head in the sand and like Pilate wash their hands of the whole thing.

No, that wasn't true with Obama, a good leader can really turn a country around. Bush and Obama drove the US into the ground with their war on the world, and even it seems the US. You know, Putin took over Russia when it was basically torn down to nothing and rebuilt that nation to a point it is now considered almost equal in power with the US (and as such a major threat). In a decade he did this, which is why he has such a high approval rating in his country that Western leaders envy. Whether or not Trump can rebuild the US to make it great again, doubtful, but nonetheless based upon Christian utilitarian reasons he's definitely your best candidate, and that no doubt would really irk those on the left.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Checking the box next to trump's name, is a vote for conservatism. Anyone that thinks it's just about voting for trump, is making a big mistake if they refuse to check the conservatism box.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:Checking the box next to trump's name, is a vote for conservatism. Anyone that thinks it's just about voting for trump, is making a big mistake if they refuse to check the conservatism box.
DBowling has it right. The logical move for a conservative is to write in Reagan or some such and then vote for actual conservatives down the ballot.

The Republicans will hold the House, and if they can hold the Senate they'll be in a position to work with Clinton, make some compromises, and actually accomplish something good for the country. Trump is crushing their brand, and they need to something to rebuild it. Four more years of obstructionism isn't the way to go, especially if we wind up with 3 political parties rather than two.