Stories

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

All my waffle? Define waffle? Where I'm from, we eat waffles.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

problem is evolution goes beyond the young earth theory.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

So what was the purpose of the thread again? Was it to say:

1. Evolution is not feasible because of the time required?
2. Comets were supposed to have died out a long time ago because there is no comet factory, and they crash into stuff all the time?
3. Both of the above?
4. None of the above?

How do you want us to play along if you won't tell us the rules?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Deborah wrote:problem is evolution goes beyond the young earth theory.
more precisely micro evolution (they have proof for this) goes beyond the young earth theory.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

The purpose of the thread was to bring up and discuss stories and flat out lies designed to keep evolution afloat. The Oort belt was one of them, because after millions, much less billions, of years, all comets should have been knocked out or burned out. This was not an attack on old earth creationists, because hopefully you guys believe in the flood, where it is theorized that comets and meteors (or is it asteroids, or both?) came from...

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
August
Old School

Post by August »

I must admit, you have totally lost me with this theory. Can you please elaborate on the connection between the flood and the comets and asteroids?
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

OK what LIES have you heard about Evolution. Let's not get into the UNIVERSE and Stellar Evolution.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

*Shoots thread, watches it slowly die*

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I feel the need to repeat what August said: What does the flood have to do with comets and asteroids? This I've got to hear...
August
Old School

Post by August »

Yes, maybe we rode a comet in after the flood....

:D :D :D :D :D :D

AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

It's just a recent theory I read. I don't care to open this can of worms in this dead thread, do it where it's already began....heck, you have a few choices probably.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
August
Old School

Post by August »

Just give us the reference, puhleeeez. Promise we won't bug you after that.

AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/Comets.html

It's pretty interesting...but since I don't understand some things...I lift an eyebrow at the proposed mechanism for launching these things.

I need more bookmarks.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Yid613
Newbie Member

Hebrew word "Yom"

Post by Yid613 »

The Hebrew word for day "Yom" (יום) does not have to mean a 24 hour period so I believe the 6 "yom" of Creation were long periods of time and not 24 hours. I am a Torah observant Jew.I also think G-d may have used Evolution for creating because Adam was the first person with a "neshama" or Human soul so He could have had parents that did not have a "neshama". The Hebrew word "bara" which means created from nothing and there was nothing like it before is only used 3 times during Creation. The first is at the creating of the Universe. The next is at day 5 and the third time is at the creating of Adam's "neshama". The "bara" for Adam was just his "neshama" not his body. The other Hebrew words for creating are "Yatzar" which means form and "Asah" which means make. They are used the other times.
j316
Established Member

Re: Hebrew word "Yom"

Post by j316 »

Yid613 wrote:The Hebrew word for day "Yom" (יום) does not have to mean a 24 hour period so I believe the 6 "yom" of Creation were long periods of time and not 24 hours. I am a Torah observant Jew.I also think G-d may have used Evolution for creating because Adam was the first person with a "neshama" or Human soul so He could have had parents that did not have a "neshama". The Hebrew word "bara" which means created from nothing and there was nothing like it before is only used 3 times during Creation. The first is at the creating of the Universe. The next is at day 5 and the third time is at the creating of Adam's "neshama". The "bara" for Adam was just his "neshama" not his body. The other Hebrew words for creating are "Yatzar" which means form and "Asah" which means make. They are used the other times.
I find the part about Adam interesting because I have thought for a long time that the story of man's creation, and the flood story, could be explained as pertaining to God's people, not the whole population of earth. I don't feel that it changes it or denigrates it, but it does tie it in with observable history and doesn't require any large leaps of faith to explain.

The concept puts religious history in the realm of religion and scientific history in the realm of science. I think God seperated the two at the start and doesn't mix them very often. Genesis is a history of the soul, not the body.

There is another thread about lifespans, given the fact that for most primitive peoples 40-50 is old then even the post flood 120 years is a heck of an extension.

I don't know that the foregoing is true, but it does offer some food for thought.